serial number question for SA series (Japanese and Taiwanese)

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

schwimbo
United States of America

serial number question for SA series (Japanese and Taiwanese)

Unread post by schwimbo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 am

Yamaha SA headstock without serial number.jpg
here is a pic of the headstock in question
Does anybody know if any Yamaha SA series guitars (SA700, 800, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1800, 2000, 2100, 2200, etc) were ever issued without having a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock? There is a guitar for sale that apparently is missing one, but from the one pic I have of the headstock, it doesn't seem to have been gouged out or anything like that. Every Yamaha SA guitar I have seen had a stamped serial number on the back of the headstock. Yamaha support didn't know much about the question, since the guitar was an older one from either the 1980s or possibly early 1990s.

balston11
Great Britain

Re: serial number question for SA series (Japanese and Taiwanese)

Unread post by balston11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

There's a lot of SA inf on my website her http://www.alston-family.co.uk/SA/indexsa.php I have never known of one without a serial no. but I have seen SAs and other Yamahas with markings so faint you can't see them without looking at certain angles or with a magnifying glass
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 am

Hi schwimbo, welcome to the site :)

Can you post more pics of the guitar or is that the only one available? Has the seller commented on the lack of a serial number?

I have seen other SA series guitars without a serial number on the headstock. I think it depends on the particular model SA and when it was built.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

schwimbo
United States of America

Unread post by schwimbo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 am

I do have some other pics from the seller of the guitar. I'll attach a few here. I don't think there is a label inside the guitar either. Should there be one, or are they missing too sometimes?
Attachments
thumbnail_20170830_210944.jpg
thumbnail_20170830_211340.jpg
thumbnail_20170830_210929.jpg

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

Well I have not seen a 2100 without a serial number.

The SA 2100 was a top end guitar so it is quite possible the Chinese got in on the act and put out some copies, hence no serial number or internal sticker but it is not something I have come across before.

The only real way to tell is to get your hands on the guitar and check the quality of build, wiring etc. Chinese copies tend to have really crude electrics and the finish on the body and fretboard can often leave a lot to be desired.

How much is the seller asking for it? Is it "too cheap"?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49

schwimbo
United States of America

Unread post by schwimbo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

The price is pretty low, but not "cheap" ($750 plus shipping and PayPal fees). The seller mentioned that it had a cloudy finish in places, which I think was known to happen on Yamaha SA guitars now and then. He thought it looked legit, and I think he had an SA2200 at one time (or currently). I hope it isn't a stolen piece that was refinished around the headstock after the serial number was sanded off. My hope of course is that this isn't the case. Unfortunately, I can't see the guitar before purchasing it (if I do purchase it), as it would be a long distance transaction.

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm

If that is a fake please introduce me to the faker, I have seen a lot of fakes mainly Fenders but nothing that good. To be serious though that is genuine it could be stolen but you would see the effect of removing the serial number and anyway it wouldn't be worth doing because the serial number is never going to be picked up unless the original owner is involved. My bet is still that the serial number is there but you can't see it.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

schwimbo
United States of America

Unread post by schwimbo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

I found some more pics of the guitar from the previous owner who sold it to the current owner (who I am in contact with). I guess the previous owner said there was extensive humidity damage to the finish but that the guitar played fine. Let me know if you want to see more pics. I have lots of them now.

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

We always want to see pictures
Bill

schwimbo
United States of America

Unread post by schwimbo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Here are a bunch of pics then (more than you want I'm sure)
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (18).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (17).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (16).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (15).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (14).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (13).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (11).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (9).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (8).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (7).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (6).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (5).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (4).jpg
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 (2).jpg
. I still don't know if I'll wind up buying the guitar as the seller might be a bit put off by my questions about the serial number (I didn't imply he was responsible for the lack thereof but he had the guitar packed, and then he had to unpack it to look for the number, etc).

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 pm

If you are ever going to buy an SA you will be lucky to get one of that quality in that condition for that price. That misting in the finish is really common my SA1200S has it
Bill

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I think given the price and the condition you really just have to go for it. I HAVE seen other Yamaha guitars without serial numbers so the lack of one does not indicate in of itself that there is anything wrong here. If it were my money I would take a chance.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

schwimbo
United States of America

Unread post by schwimbo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 am

The seller just found the serial number, and it shows the guitar was made in Taiwan rather than Japan. How much less is a Taiwanese SA2100 worth compared to a Japanese one? The seller wanted to know if the new info was a deal killer, and I'm trying to figure out if it should be.

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

In truth there will be no real difference in quality but the word Taiwan instead of Japan does reduce what people will pay for it suggest offer him $500 and perhaps go to $550
Bill

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 am

I would do the same. It will be essentially the same guitar and same build quality but for some reason the fact it was not "made in Japan" will reduce it's value, in the same way a Mexican made Strat will not be worth as much as a USA made one. I'm not sure why this is. Some of the best made guitars definitely do not come out of Japan and the USA.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”