Laughable launch to new iPhone!

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Fozzer, Saul

SysExJohn
Uganda

Laughable launch to new iPhone!

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

Did you see the launch of the new Apple iPhone?

The amazing new way of unlocking your wonderful, £1000 (yes, a thousand) piece of status symbol, facial recognition, didn't work!

Oh, ho ho ho ho HO.
ROFL.

Yea, you've guessed it, I'm saving up for one of those.

Or, better still, I'll bung it on a credit card and pay the minimum payment each month, thus contributing to national debt.
Got to help out the chancellor by contributing my own little bit towards it, eh?
What d'ya think, Chris?
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Laughable launch to new iPhone!

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 am

Normally I do watch Apple launch events but I really couldn't get up any enthusiasm whatsoever for a phone costing over £1000..that's the cheapest version by the way, there is also a £1400 version 8O 8O 8O

I have an iPhone 5s and have had it for a couple of years and it does everything I need it to and does it well. Now I am definitely a new tech/gadget sort of guy but for me to spend a grand on a phone it would need to do a hell of a lot more than the iPhone X does.

So it's faster...that's relative. My iPhone does everything pretty much instantly so how much faster does it need to be? If we are shaving fractions of a second off a task how does that merit a £1000 price tag?

3D Facial Recognition? I have a fingerprint scanner on my iPhone 5s. Honestly if people find that such a gargantuan task, putting your finger on a button then I really worry for the future of humanity! Oh and as John pointed out, they couldn't even get it to work properly in the demo :evil:

Edge to Edge screen? Gosh what a massive step forward in technology...not! Is this all Apple can come up with...for a thousand pounds? AND it even has a notch in the top, protruding into the screen area to cater for the camera 8O Who the hell thought that was a good design feature?

Anyway I could go on but you can see why the mobile phone market is now struggling for growth. Most people have phones that are maybe two or three years old or new but in the mid-range price bracket and these phones work perfectly. They are fast, full of features and are not about to become obsolete any time soon so, where is the market for a £1000 + phone? No doubt the well heeled might be tempted and the usual Apple Fan Boy collective but the majority? Can't see it myself.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

SysExJohn wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am
Yea, you've guessed it, I'm saving up for one of those.
What d'ya think, Chris?
I think I have just found the perfect phone for you, John . . .

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/produ ... set-Black/

As the Ad says - IT'S JUST "A PHONE" . . . . .

BTW - they ALSO have refurbed iPhones (4 5 and 6) from LESS than 100 Quid (Y)

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/500/Phones/

The new iPhone can only drive these prices DOWN further?

Computer Exchange Shops (CEX) usually have a window FULL of 2nd user iPhones and Samsungs. It's a buoyant market . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Now you're talking, Chris.

A coupla years back I thought I'd try one of the new "smart phones", what a mistake. They don't suit me at all.
When the contract runs out on this heap of dung I'll ditch it and go back to my ancient Nokia 6310i.
Best phone I ever had. Bought it in 2001 and used it all over Europe, America, Russia, Singapore, Australia, Japan, the Middle East, etc.
(The roaming charges were a bit steep, but then they were back then. £400 in a week when I was working in Dakar.)
Worked flawlessly for many years. It was still working fine when I decided to try one of the new fangled things.

I know, I know, grumpy old geezer!
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.

EXer
France

Unread post by EXer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm

SysExJohn wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am
Did you see the launch of the new Apple iPhone?
A whatPhone?

I'm still using a Nokia 2323

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Now go for 2000 £ in 2018! Be sure! Also that is surely bought. There are more than enough Iphone fans.

The best new phones coming in 2017 & 2018: Should you upgrade now? :?:

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-produc ... w-3613852/

Apple iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X - 12 September launch
LG G7 - Potential January launch
LG V30 - 31 August launch
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - 23 August launch
Samsung Galaxy S8 mini - launch TBC
Samsung Galaxy S9 - Potential January launch
Sony Xperia XZ1 - 31 August launch
Google Pixel 2 - 5 October launch
Motorola Moto Z2 Force - 25 July launch
Nokia 8 - 16 August launch
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 - 11 September launch

The best new phones of 2017 and 2018 will offer faster performance and longer battery life. Some will use the new Snapdragon 835 chip for which headline performance figures include 25 percent faster graphics rendering and half the power consumption compared to the Snapdragon 801.

You can expect this processor to be paired with at least 4- but potentially as much as 8GB of RAM, a minimum amount of 32GB of storage, extra-large Quad-HD screens and class-leading cameras.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 am

John,

Your 6310 can't be far off my 6300 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Nok ... %3AmqOk1aW

When my Cuz recently updated his Samsung Smartphone he gave me his old Samsung SF (a Trend2) AND his original Nokia 6300 - which was "New" - probably from the above link . . .

I still have my old Black 6300 which is rather scratched now. The new one is Silver . .

The Trend2 ended up in the Drawer. I already had a Wallwart battery charger for the 6300 and number of batteries . . .

The batteries rotate from the 6300 - to the charger - to the drawer, so when I go anywhere, I ALWAYS have a full battery available.

Bluetooth ear piece allows me to answer the phone in the car - legally - plus the 6300 works with my TomTom GO 50 for traffic info . . . .

It's really all I need . . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 am

10+ Of The Funniest Reactions To New iPhone X That Apple Fans Probably Won’t Like

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-reacti ... e-x-memes/

Please scroll down - X-ray photograph appears! A real IPhone fan!

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am

There does come a point where all the specs are meaningless. I used to regularly update my phone but I soon came to the realisation that the increased specs were not actually giving me anything in real world use. They are simply a marketing tool. Thankfully I don't fall for it anymore. I'll keep my iPhone 5s until there is a pressing NEED to upgrade. Saved myself a fortune into the bargain :)

The only REAL reason to upgrade to a newer phone is if your interested in VR or Augmented Reality. This is where the pixel count and processor power come into play but, that is not exactly a massive market right now and the tech is still a little flaky around the edges. There is a phone due out next year which has a simulated holographic display which is quite impressive but again, it's not a MUST HAVE.

I can see that perhaps in ten years from now a lot of this tech will have matured into something actually useful but right now it's all just an expensive novelty.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/KORG Triton Studio 61/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Akai Advance 49

EX5_etc
United States of America

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:16 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 am

So it's faster...that's relative. My iPhone does everything pretty much instantly so how much faster does it need to be?
When it thinks of the number and dials it before you even think of that number. Now that's fast. :) :) :)

Imagine of the day that Apple puts artificial intelligence in their phones. You look at the phone and it looks back at you. That would be another $1000 up from the current price. And then it calls the phone on the next table without even asking you and it sends your picture to it. The other phone sends to your phone the picture of its owner and the phones start a conversation between them, and.. oh, the hell with it.

I have a cheap refurbished one from LG and does everything I want to do with it. I pay $6 per month and I am happy with it.

DrF
Motif XF6, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MJC8, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49 and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 am

Okay, here's the ad for the new iPhone:

(Man holds iPhone out, as though taking a selfie...) "Can you see me now?"

(Man moves unresponsive iPhone in another direction...) "Can you see me now?"

(Man moves still-unresponsive iPhone upward and tilts it toward his face...) "Can you see me now?"
Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 am

This is the thing. It's all tech that is just on the edge of working properly. I remember a couple of years ago I had the LG G5 which I must admit was a nice phone but, it was "supposed" to know when you were looking at the screen and stay awake. NEVER worked. No matter what I did it would always dim the screen after a while and then go into sleep mode.

Now we have the iPhone X with it's much vaunted facial recognition...which apparently works "sometimes". Is "sometimes" really good enough for a £1000 plus phone?

I don't think we will all be too gutted not to be spending a grand on Apples latest non groundbreaking phone? ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:10 am

They've been playing "catch up" to Samsung now for some little while.

There seems to be little innovation since Steve Jobs went to meet his maker (so to speak).
Not that I'm that interested in the technology at all any more.

Anyway, choosing a new tariff for my energy supply is uppermost on my mind at the moment.
I may just stay with Robin Hood from Nottingham.

Return to “Chill Out Room”