Anyone with a Yamaha Pacifica 1221 or 904?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

Asmikace

Anyone with a Yamaha Pacifica 1221 or 904?

Unread post by Asmikace » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Hello everyone, if I manage to sell some guitar stuff, I might get my first Pacifica. The ones I am interested in are the 904 and 1221 and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

banjo
Great Britain

Re: Anyone with a Yamaha Pacifica 1221 or 904?

Unread post by banjo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I have a PAC904. It's a great guitar. The vibrato is a decent affair but it's let down by its two anchor point screws. They are wood screws driven straight into the body, but the heads are undercut to provide a "vee" as a fulcrum for the sharp efge on the base plate. This is a real weak point so I would advise treating it more like a Bigsby than a Floyd Rose or even a Leotype for that matter. Mine came to me functional but sheered off so I purchased two from Kemble and retain one as a spare, treating the thing with respect. This would be an easy thing to address with readily available bushes and machine screws, but I'm a little reluctant to change anything permanently due to the sniffy attitude of the guitar police.
The neck is a compound radius Warmoth with abalone inlays. Beautifully set up, slick and faultless. The headstock, whilst looking like a Fender inspired design really owes more to Gibson with its backwards offset. I don't know the angle, but it obviates the need for string "trees". The Sperzel machine heads are excellent and impressed me sufficiently to install more of them on about five other guitars.
I changed the knobs, pick up covers and back plate for mint green ones to match the ex-works scratch plate.
The heel feels a bit bulky and the body has a very deep neck pocket which kind of renders an impression that it's a weak point but I haven't noticed any issues in that context. Maybe I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, but the 904 appeals to me more than the Vai rocker type guitars. The 912 and 921 both have a preferable heel in my opinion. I would have been happy with a 604, 612, 812 or 912 but I'm happy this one came up first. It was about my eigth eBay win back in about 2003. Regardless, I'm very happy with mine. It feels good to hold and if I'm honest feels more like a Gibson under the fingers than it does a Fender type which it obviously emulates however remotely. Much of this is down to skillful and time consuming attention to detail and set up. Judging by the appalling ex-factory set up of my Firebird, nothing is a given these days.
I have written at length here because you will not be able to nip down to your local emporium and try out a guitar like this so I hope this helps (sic).

Located close to the Thames Delta at Ashford in Middlesex.
e&oe...

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 am

Very comprehensive detail on the 904 very useful thank you for posting.

Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

Asmikace

Unread post by Asmikace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 am

That 904 sounds like a great guitar but someone is offering me a Pacifica 1221 MS for $300 that I am going to take. Will be ordering this week.

balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Sounds a bargain please let us see it when you get it.

Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

Asmikace

Unread post by Asmikace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Just ordered it with a hard case tossed in. So excited to own my first Pacifica.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”