forum no longer lets my browser save my password

All site announcements, changes and notifications are posted here. Please check from time to time.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

tux
Kiribati

forum no longer lets my browser save my password

Unread post by tux » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Since the move to the yamahamusicians.com my browser (Seamonkey) no longer saves my username and password which means that every time after I restart my browser I have to manually login to the forum again (which I often don't bother to do as it's a hassle and therefore I participate a lot less in the discussions).

Now I know that the password save function is a local functionality of the browser, but I also remember reading in the past somewhere that web sites can tell the browsers to not store the password (not all browser obey to that), so my guess is that some setting in the forum has changed during the forum move to cause this.

It would be great if you could look into this and possibly change the settings to allow my browser to save username and password again.

Just to add: on my side nothing has changed, same browser (same version too), same browser settings, same operating system.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
tux
Kiribati

Re: forum no longer lets my browser save my password

Unread post by tux » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 pm

I think it's the autocomplete="off" attribute next to the password entry field in the html source code of the forum login page causing this, see here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/412 ... g-password

Since recent versions of browsers ignore this anyway and therefore the autocomplete attribute is of no use other than as a nuisance to people using older browsers, could you please remove it?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: never mind, I have now found a way to tell my browser to ignore the autocomplete="off" attribute so it now saves the password too.
(in about:config I have set signon.overrideAutocomplete to true).

Still, it might help other forum user if you remove that attribute from the login page as it is only a nuisance and therefore will stop people from participating actively in the forum.
My Yamaha RM50 page
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 pm

As far as I can tell there are no options to remove anything like that from the log in page. This is a browser specific issue and just looking at the stats I can see that over 85% of forum visitors are using one of the main four browsers, Safari, Chrome, Firefox and IE the rest are made up of various mobile browsers.

The auto complete in modern browsers is there for good reason. It helps people set complex passwords which they don't have to remember although personally I don't store passwords in the browser but for a lot of people it's a big help.

Editing the core phpbb files is something that I really don't want to be doing.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:33 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 pm
The auto complete in modern browsers is there for good reason. It helps people set complex passwords which they don't have to remember
Exactly.
But phpbb by default has autocomplete=off in the html source, so it tells browsers not to save passwords (except for those browsers that ignore this attribute)!
This is a really stupid default setting of phpbb. When I searched for this earlier I found people rightly complaining about this in the phpbb support forum but only getting evasive answers.

Anyway, for me personally the problem is solved as I found a setting so that Seamonkey now ignores autocomplete=off and therefore saves the password.
BTW, Seamonkey is not some exotic browser, it's an official variant of Firefox with a different more grown up GUI (unlike the dumbed down Firefox GUI), the browser rendering engine is the same as Firefox, in fact Seamonkey even identifies as Firefox in the web server logs.
My Yamaha RM50 page
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info Tux. So if phpbb has a default setting of autocomplete=off then they have done their bit and it's really modern browsers that are not letting users choose to recognise such things or not. In other words THEY have decided they know best..again.

It was probably done with the best of intentions but all these companies should also realise that there are plenty of people out there on the web that know exactly what they are doing and should be let choose their options not have them imposed on them.

Anyway thanks for raising the issue. At least people can see what it is, why it is happening and a way to fix it if needed.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Yeah Saul,

I recently had a "discussion" in the phpBB forum concerning the ability to configure the number of New Posts/Topics shown on entry to the forum.

It defaults to 7-Days and is not administrator-configurable in the ACP . . . . It is a phpBB default apparently

It can be configured on an individual basis in the UCP - although I have found that this doesn't seem to work . . . :/:

In a forum like this, we receive many new posts and/or topics per day, so it is NOT a problem.

On one other forum I visit, which is also phpBB, we may not get any posts for several months . . . .

so displaying new topics/posts for 7-Days displays <No Posts> - requiring you to visit the drop down and set it for 3-months. EVERY TIME.

So WHY is the setting present in the UCP if it doesn't work?

As you say WHY should admins need to get involved in editing core files - with all the upgrade issues THAT will cause?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Yeah this is the biggest problem for admins. If you edit the core files then you need to carefully preserve those edits when updating or redo them again every time. That's why I stay well away from editing any phpbb files. I used to do it regularly on another forum I run but in the end it became too problematic.

Phpbb is by no means perfect but in general it does a good job. There is however some possibility that I might be able to get that phpbb to Vbulletin port up and running. It's only in discussion mode at the moment but hopefully it will lead to a result. Vbulletin is far more configurable than phpbb although I am not sure if it allows for resolving the log in issue discussed here. I do have it running on my local server so will check it out.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Hmm. I'm not familiar with Vbulletin. The only other I know is the FusionClub and Johns' MidiTutorial site which are hosted by ProBoards.

FusionZone is phpBB like us, but it's not been updated for AGES . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Well it's not a certain thing yet. The import script for phpbb to VB is pretty ancient and right now it cannot bring across attachments which is a BIG no no for us and also it sets ALL user post counts to zero so that's another hurdle to get over. Of course no one at VB told me that UNTIL we had bought the license and attempted the migration..even though I specifically asked about migrating phpbb 3.1 to VB :evil:

Anyway, for now the forum is working fine, just missing a few options so lets see how it goes.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Could this be a cookie thing? No matter which browser I'm using (Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Apple Safari), the page automatically logs me in if I've told it to remember me, or doesn't log me in if I've told it not to remember me, so it seems like they're paying attention to my preferred setting-- presumably as stored in a cookie-- rather than ignoring it. And my understanding of the general definition of a "default setting" is that it's the setting which will be used if the user hasn't changed it to something else-- and then saved that change. I know that a lot of people prefer to disallow cookies due to concerns about privacy, so is it possible that the user's "remember me" checkbox setting isn't getting saved?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Yeah if you don't accept cookies then your log in will definitely not be remembered. It's what the cookies are for. We never share your details with anyone so you can accept cookies for this forum quite safely and still reject for other sites.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Site Notifications & Changes”