Site speed issues and possible solutions

All site announcements, changes and notifications are posted here. Please check from time to time.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Site speed issues and possible solutions

Unread post by Saul »

I have removed a number of extensions and set the default theme to the standard phpbb prosilver. Seems to be working faster for me but could be imagining it.

Let me know. Particularly interested in how the site is responding in the USA, Canada and UK.

Thanks.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
dmitrins

Unread post by dmitrins »

I confirm that the problem has gone about 6hrs ago. I checked random topics from time to time and haven't noticed any problems. (Y)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

dmitrins wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pm I confirm that the problem has gone about 6hrs ago. I checked random topics from time to time and haven't noticed any problems. (Y)
This is the same as I have been experiencing. Wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking but I can see from GtMetrix that things have definitely improved.

There is more to do but we are definitely moving in the right direction :)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
P90_Luv

Unread post by P90_Luv »

I posted about the VIP banner to view images when it first popped. My main frustration was loss of existing images embedded into posts making them now essentially non-sense.

Scaling all existing images down would be SQL/app crazy talk. A hard cut from local hosted to offsite pics may go over best with members that understand it is for site survival. Legacy posts could be updated (with extended edit time rights) for pointing their now offsite images back to the original post to view. New posts will include pics that after a few months, no one will notice the change even happened.

Automated scalers or size restrictions need to invoke when users "drag-drop" a pic in. Simply asking them for a reasonable sized image they manually create is fine as long as the server rejects anything larger with a clear response message. These restrictions are way tricky to setup where the off-site pic option is built into the Word Press template. Announce it, explain why, and pull the trigger. They will get it as common to most forums.

Lastly, I see no huge benefit to the independent users thing. I mean it seems sound, honorable, advert free etc. but... Vendor contributors often have good things to say as well pitch their goods. I've enjoyed vendor supported group purchase buys and have never thought their presence was bad or annoying. If increased revenue stream is considered, vendors DO pay. It's not selling out to marketing, it's surviving. A site owner should never operate at a loss and should be rewarded for the time investment. Just saying, some would honor changes that benefit the owner rather than tossing the whole effort to the bin.

Good luck Saul.

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

Even making allowances for caching it is much faster on initial load and navigating around the forums (even some I have never visited, for testing) is noticeably more responsive.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

Seems OK right now. On the image optimising, it would be nice if the forum could do that to save users worrying about it. Set your limits and have them compressed/scaled on upload? Is that feasible?

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I have set a limit that anything larger than 800 x 800 will be resized but of course that only deals with image dimensions, not file size.

Will look at what else can be done to make it easier.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I see the tabs at top right have gone . . . . NO PROBLEM (Y)

Very snappy performance tonight (as I write this) . . . .

So . . . . . Looking good . . . .

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

. . . and STILL performing well now . . . . (03:34)

Seems you've cracked it?

touch-wood

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yes it does seem to be going well at the moment Chris. Don't want to jinx it but looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Made a few more changes and the forum "should" now automatically reduce the file size of images uploaded. So let's see how that goes :)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

dmitrins

Saul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 pm Made a few more changes and the forum "should" now automatically reduce the file size of images uploaded. So let's see how that goes :)
I would suggest trying the opposite thing: allow all images and files for a couple days and see how this affects the response time.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I have not changed the upload file size limit just the way images are resized on the forum. In any case I definitely DO NOT want any more unlimited uploads.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

dmitrins

I mean, after you have disabled some extensions, forum loading became very fast and stable (1.6 S vs. 16 S, that's almost a 1000% improvement), and further manipulation doesn't seem to make any noticeable improvement. But do we know how much the visibility of images/attachments affected the server's performance before? I think the only one way to know this is to turn on the permission to download for all users/guests for a short period and make some measurements in client side during this time. My guess it doesn't affect at all or near to that. Just don't want anyone to worry about things (like optimizing old images) if that don't make any sense...

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It seems that optimizing the existing images is not feasible anyway. So will forget that idea. Any images uploaded from now on will be optimized.

I won't be opening up downloads again. There is no need to.

Will need to look at the extensions I disabled. It could have been one or more of those slowing things down.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook