Advertising and Links On The Forum - Everyone Needs To Read!

All site announcements, changes and notifications are posted here. Please check from time to time.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Advertising and Links On The Forum - Everyone Needs To Read!

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Don't want to be too draconian about this so consider these as guidelines.

Many sites and businesses have benefited from promotion on our site over the years and for the most part that benefit has not been returned in kind. Sites we have posted about have not linked back to us and businesses that have directly profited from being written about and linked to have in turn done nothing to support the site.

As from today any advert of a commercial nature will need to run by me first and also pay the appropriate rate for advertising on the forum and website. I think this is fair given that they profit from being mentioned here. Non trade adverts of course will still be free although I will be monitoring them as certain people do try to pass themselves off as individuals selling a "few" items when they are in fact businesses.

In order to promote your own site or forum you need to first have made at least 50 posts on our forum. These have to be meaningful and useful posts not simply posting irrelevant stuff to bump up your post count. You will still need to contact me after your first 50 posts so I can review the quality of the contribution you have made to the forum.

If posting links to other forums or websites please endeavour to make a post on that forum/website referring back to us or ask the admin of whatever site it is to post a link back or contact me. It's fair that if we are sending them traffic they should be happy to return the favour.

To sum up, any links to a site where the owner profits from that link is commercial and falls under the commercial advertising rules. Please ask for rates.
Adverts for goods or services for sale that are from the trade again comes under "commercial advertising". Please ask for rates.
Links to other forums or user groups must result in some sort of a link back to our site so please consider this when posting.
If linking to your own website/forum you need to have reached the 50 post limit first and have contacted me.

I realise this all might seem like a pain in the ass but consider this. I have been running this website since 2001. I have promoted a lot of sites over the years, many of which have gone on to be successful commercial concerns. One of the main reasons they are successful and are able to offer more features than us is because they don't "give away" traffic. They place a value on the service they provide and in turn advertisers are happy to pay for the exposure on their sites. Despite us sending them many hundreds of thousands of visitors over the years they refuse to link back to us. I won't name which sites I am referring to but many of you can probably guess who I am talking about.

I am no longer willing to go on providing these commercial sites with free traffic and free advertising.

As I said at the beginning, these are guidelines. They are not set in stone but you get the general idea. Any questions or concerns please get in touch.

Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: A quick Word About Advertising and Links On The Forum

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Don't want to drone on about this all the time but just a reminder. If your posting links to your own website or forum we do want a link back and as mentioned before, not buried somewhere people won't see it. Yamaha Forums UK is a fairly high traffic site and I think it's fair that if we let you publicise your own site here then you should return the favour.

If your posting links to other people's sites please ask them for a link back to us.

Google loves back links so it works out well for both parties to link to each other.

I do check the forum every day and for now I am leaving links in place but there will come a time when, If I don't see we have been linked back to I will begin removing them.

Might sound a bit harsh but for me it's about fairness, we link to you, you link to us and everyone wins :)

Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

Return to “Site Notifications & Changes”