Yamaha MOX/MOXF Likes and Dislikes?

Yamaha MOXF6 Music Production Synthesizer boasts a rich collection of instrument voices that includes pianos, electric pianos, strings, wind instruments, orchestral sounds, guitars, basses, and drums, as well as a wide variety of vintage and modern synth sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Re: Yamaha MOX/MOXF Likes and Dislikes?

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:09 am

Forgot to add another thing(s) that I like about the MOXF...

I really like the level meter - I hope they keep that in the new MOXF...

I also like the fact that the lettering is imprinted/painted on the control board - and not like the Montage, where it looks like the old-fashioned black tape that you put in the label maker and turned the dial to make white letters on the black tape (remember that?!, lol).
KeyLex

Unread post by KeyLex » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 am

I wish it had sliders instead of knobs.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:49 pm

KeyLex wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 am
I wish it had sliders instead of knobs.
The Motif XF which of course the MOXF is derived from had both sliders and knobs but some things had to go in order to get the price down and I am guessing sliders cost more than knobs.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
DickBanks

Unread post by DickBanks » Mon May 20, 2019 10:19 pm

I design electronic displays all day, everyday. Not musical instruments--avionics.

I can tell you that what drives up costs SIGNIFICANTLY are large color touch screens, metal heatsink cases, and sliders. Yes Paul, you are correct, sliders cost more.

So at $1199/$1699, I'll keep it at home, twist knobs, and suffer through "menu pages" and eye-test displays to get THAT SOUND ENGINE.

And if I want fancy UI, I'll save up for a Genos ($5499).
User avatar Lithuania
Ramunas

Unread post by Ramunas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 pm

hi,i bought moxf6 j that yamahaeyust to hear it great but i disapointed,itseems to play for aliens .My wife just ask me what u can play with this keybord something beoutiful and i couldnt her show any.I think this keyboard is for ufonauts kosmonaunts and not musicians who had graduaded something higher then public music schools.How these japanese not installed in this device wich can play sty. form styles.never ever heard that yamaha not showed to how play worlds most popular dance THE WALTZ.They pomped to this moxf more guns,helikopters,and farts sounds then more useful things like styles.
Last edited by Ramunas on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Lithuania
Ramunas

Unread post by Ramunas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 pm

sorry guys for my disapoiting of moxf6 but its my thoutghts that japanese make beter
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am

Ramunas, the Yamaha MOXF is not an arranger keyboard. It is a synth and a very good one.

If you want to play styles (.sty) you should buy a PSR', DGX or a used Tyros. Those keyboards would do everything you want.

You have to buy the right keyboard for your style of playing.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Lithuania
Ramunas

Unread post by Ramunas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:30 pm

It is like arranger cos no problem to play in performance mode like these psr or dgx.But performances just few who fits to my playing in restaurant or in marriages and these performances sound even better than psr .Is it possibillity to download ready performances,like human\i meant waltzes,country dances et c.c.And it is possibility to trigger performances mode with keitmacmillan 12 step foot controller?if its possibillity how to play minors chords?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:49 pm

The difference is the MOXF uses 'Arps' which are not the same as styles. They are relatively short musical phrases that you can string together or use as the basic idea for a new song.

Styles are a complete song from start to finish with intro, verse, chorus and end with variations on all of those.

The MOXF is not designed to work in the same way as an arranger keyboard. Arps are not the same as styles.

It sounds to me like you really do need an arranger keyboard not a synth. They are very different instruments. You need something like the Yamaha PSR-S650 or S775
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Lithuania
Ramunas

Unread post by Ramunas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm

I do have psr 910 and roland D 70 and mm6 but they no compere to motifs,they super monsters and i like them cos u can play never the same like with automation keybords.Remember in tzar Rurik ages had a psr 36 and it could play 12 diferent bass,drums and others voices per style ithink it was begining of apergios on yamaha like it was on yamaha PS 55.Just wondering how yamaha didnt put more brains to these sinterzers that can play sty.files.its not 20 century.ha
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:08 am

It is because they are aimed at very different types of player. The MOXF and whole MOTIF range are aimed at players who have no need of styles. They create their own music and sounds and for many synth players using preset styles is something they would never consider.

Yamaha have now combined arranger features with a more synth like keyboard in GENOS but as you know, that keyboard is top of the range and too expensive for many.

If you have the PSR910 and the MOXF then you already have the best of both worlds. Connect the PSR 910 to the MOXF and use the MOXF like a sound module for your styles. The MOXF is GM Compatible so it should be able to play the correct voices.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Italy
joelfan

Unread post by joelfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 am

The output volume.

The output volume is a shame! How can you fail so dramatically, Yamaha. I have to put volume slider at top, mixer gains all up, and still I do not have room for solos! I don't understand.

Roland is putting a gain parameter inside their menus in all recent keyboards. Yamaha ha ridicolous out volume! Why can't it be tunable? Such wonderful sounds and such a weak out!

I don't understand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:16 pm

joelfan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 am
The output volume.

The output volume is a shame! How can you fail so dramatically, Yamaha. I have to put volume slider at top, mixer gains all up, and still I do not have room for solos! I don't understand.

Roland is putting a gain parameter inside their menus in all recent keyboards. Yamaha ha ridicolous out volume! Why can't it be tunable? Such wonderful sounds and such a weak out!

I don't understand.
Hi joelfan and welcome to the forums :)

I can't remember ever having any issues with the output volume of the MOXF but maybe that is just me. Has anyone else had problems with this aspect of the MOXF?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Lithuania
Ramunas

Unread post by Ramunas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I use shure sm 58 mic and it is not enough volume according to the performances .in psr 910s it is lot but in moxf i have to program outputs on the voices to 50 and for microphone to 127 and then sounds normal.Agree with Joelfan about volume.
User avatar Italy
joelfan

Unread post by joelfan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:16 pm
joelfan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 am
The output volume.

I don't understand.
Hi joelfan and welcome to the forums :)

I can't remember ever having any issues with the output volume of the MOXF but maybe that is just me. Has anyone else had problems with this aspect of the MOXF?
I saw a parameter to raise up the output to 6db, but that's not enough.

I do not think it is an issue that only I have.
I've read many complaints about it. So I think it is a manufacturer issue.

I'm glad you do not think it is an issue, but I had to edit all patches to have a decent output gain.

Return to “Yamaha MOXF”