New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

Yamaha MOXF6 Music Production Synthesizer boasts a rich collection of instrument voices that includes pianos, electric pianos, strings, wind instruments, orchestral sounds, guitars, basses, and drums, as well as a wide variety of vintage and modern synth sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar France
jjazzboss

New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

Unread post by jjazzboss » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Hello,

I exchanged with Saul, the site admin, who thought this could be of interest to the forum members.

I'm the (hobbyist) developer of JJazzLab, a brand new desktop application targeted to musicians who practice their instrument with backing tracks.

JJazzLab comes with some unique features compared to similar apps like Band In A Box:
  • Dynamic backing tracks: you can start a solo slowly and build up the atmosphere
  • Rhythmic accents support
  • Support of Yamaha styles, plus a new extended YamJJazz style format for more variations
  • The infrastructure is released as an open-source framework: JJazzLab-X
You'll find more information on the web site or in the video demos: www.jjazzlab.com

Feedback welcome ! :D

Jerome
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 am

Many thanks for this link to your program, Jerome.
I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version into my copy of Win7pro(x64) on a laptop without any problems.

I tried it very quickly, linking it using the wizard, to a copy of the Garritan ARIA player VST, and then loading various instruments from the Jazz and Big Band VSTi. It worked quite well once I'd loaded and assigned musical instruments into the top MIDI channels from 10 up.
Quick impressions:
Easy to set up and load.
Interesting, straightforward interface.
Nice and easy to adjust the overall volume as well as for the various channels.
Not an extensive trial by any means at all, but quick and easy to get set up and working.

I look forward to doing some more extensive testing of the product and discovering the various rhythms avaialable and perhaps creating a few of my own.

Thanks again,
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar France
jjazzboss

Unread post by jjazzboss » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks for this positive feedback ! :D

Don't hesitate if you see problems or things which need improvement.

Just for my information, how did you connect JJazzLab to the garritan VST instrument ?
User avatar Great Britain
George007

Unread post by George007 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi ,

It works well enough with the style that are built in , is it possible to import more yamaha SFF2 styles

George
User avatar France
jjazzboss

Unread post by jjazzboss » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:13 pm

is it possible to import more yamaha SFF2 styles?
Not yet. Only SFF1 styles (PSR and until Tyros 2 I think) are supported with this version.

You can easily find free utilities on the web that convert SFF2 style files to SFF1.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm

jjazzboss wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:19 pm
Thanks for this positive feedback ! :D

Don't hesitate if you see problems or things which need improvement.

Just for my information, how did you connect JJazzLab to the garritan VST instrument ?
Sorry for the delay, Jerome, we took a short break in Germany to visit some old friends.

I currently use LoopBe30, set up with six MIDI ports to connect things.
It was very easy to set up with JJazzLab and the stand alone version of the ARIA player.
I think I'm correct in saying that your program can also accept VSTi's aren't I?
If so I'll give that a try this week.

Regards,
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar France
jjazzboss

Unread post by jjazzboss » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 pm

I think I'm correct in saying that your program can also accept VSTi's aren't I?
Unfortunately the current version of JJazzLab can not directly host VSTi's. To use virtual instruments you need to have a VST host software and use LoopBe30 to route the Midi messages from JJazzLab to the hosted VST instruments.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:13 pm

jjazzboss wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 pm
Unfortunately the current version of JJazzLab can not directly host VSTi's. To use virtual instruments you need to have a VST host software and use LoopBe30 to route the Midi messages from JJazzLab to the hosted VST instruments.
Aha!
Okay, I was going to give that a try this morning, but now there's no time wasted. :wink:

Thanks for the response, Jerome.
Any plans to add VSTi hosting in the future, I wonder? :?: :?: :?:
I suspect thats' a considerable extra layer of complexity tho'.

JohnG.
User avatar France
jjazzboss

Unread post by jjazzboss » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:11 pm

A quick update:
- I added a zip file on the jjazzlab website with more than 2500 songs at the JJazzLab format. It's mainly jazz/latin standards as found in the real books.
- As I get more and more questions by email I just created today a user forum dedicated to JJazzLab users, for technical support and also for users to share song files at the JJazzLab format (.sng files).

Everything is on the jjazzlab website :D

Return to “Yamaha MOXF”