Yamaha MOXF6 keys action/quality

Yamaha MOXF6 Music Production Synthesizer boasts a rich collection of instrument voices that includes pianos, electric pianos, strings, wind instruments, orchestral sounds, guitars, basses, and drums, as well as a wide variety of vintage and modern synth sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
loziodavid

Yamaha MOXF6 keys action/quality

Unread post by loziodavid » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi all,
reading reviews and impressions about the MOXF6, it's not clear if the keybead has synth action keys or semi-weighted keys.
In the official Yamaha website it's stated as a
61 keys, semi-weighted keyboard (Initial Touch)
but I read elsewhere in old topics, that the keys have no resistance, feel mushy with a synth-like action.

The fact is I'm not a fan of synth action keys, they don't feel really solid to me. I definitely prefer the semi-weighted action. Can you explain me this point?

And in general, how about the keybed quality? I read that is not fantastic, a little worse than the Motif series, but I couldn't understand if it's a matter of personal preference, or if objectively it's not great.

I didn't have the opportuniy to play with a MOXF6, but I played a little bit the MODX6 and the MX61 in a music store, and the feel was not bad at all. Is the feel/action comparable with these 2 workstations?

Thanks a lot.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha MOXF6 keys action/quality

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 am

Speaking from my own experience with the MOXF and MODX I would say the keys are similar.

In terms of "synth action" vs "semi-weighted", I would say that technically there isn't really a distinction. Keys are either weighted or they are not. So what I "think" manufacturers do in order to indicate a keybed of higher quality is they call it "semi-weighted"

What this essentially means is a non-weighted keybed that doesn't feel springy/spongy. You get a feeling of more control over the nuances of playing.

But to answer your question, the keys on the MOXF are fine. I really liked the quality compared to the KORG KROME and Roland FA06 which I had on test at the same time.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Italy
loziodavid

Unread post by loziodavid » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 am
Speaking from my own experience with the MOXF and MODX I would say the keys are similar.

In terms of "synth action" vs "semi-weighted", I would say that technically there isn't really a distinction. Keys are either weighted or they are not. So what I "think" manufacturers do in order to indicate a keybed of higher quality is they call it "semi-weighted"

What this essentially means is a non-weighted keybed that doesn't feel springy/spongy. You get a feeling of more control over the nuances of playing.

But to answer your question, the keys on the MOXF are fine. I really liked the quality compared to the KORG KROME and Roland FA06 which I had on test at the same time.
Thanks Saul for your feedback.
The fact is I'm not that kind of guy who press 1 key, then does all his music through arpeggiators, sequencers and knobs opening/closing filters. I want to learn how to move my hands and coordinate them through the entire keyobard, so something pleasable to play is very important.
I like a little bit of resistance and a globally solid feel.

For example, I played the Nord Lead A1. This synth costs 1000-1200$ and it's produced by one of the major actors in the synth market, but it has an awful keybed. The keys seem to break or crumble at any moment. Very fragile impression. Maybe it will last for years, I dont' know, but I had the horrific impression I was bending a piece of plastic rather than playing a keyboard.

If the MOXF6 has a little bit of resistance in his keys and a more solid construction, I'm fine!!
I found a great deal for a mint MOXF6 + original Yamaha case: 500€ for both.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi Ioziodavid,

The industry as a whole seem to have decided a long time ago that 61-note instruments would have Synth-type keybeds.

I personally don't know of a 61-note board that has a Weighted action . . . . . ?

In most cases, this is fine. They tend to be "springy" in nature but may be semi-weighted to a degree.

I have the MOXF6, though currently it's not in use, but I remember it being good to play and not in the least - fragile . . .

I came from a REAL Piano - so I prefer a weighted keybed which is what I use mostly with my Alesis Fusion 8HD.

If you are playing ORGANS (Hammond Sounds - for instance) then a Synth-type action is generally better,

especially for the white-note Glissandos . . . . (These are positively PAINFUL on a Weighted action/REAL Piano)

If you WANT the weighted Keybed "Feel", you'll need to go for a 76 or 88 note Keybed . . . .

I believe there is a MOXF8 - for instance . . . . which I believe has a "hammer-action" keybed.

As I was brought up on a PIANO - I tend to be able to modify my style to sound "OK" on whatever keybed I find,

but some find this easier than others . . . .

If I need to do organ-style glissandos, then I use my Alesis Fusion 6HD which is 61 notes and has a Synth Keybed . . .

perhaps this helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha MOXF”