Issues changing from one sound to another on MOXF8

Yamaha MOXF6 Music Production Synthesizer boasts a rich collection of instrument voices that includes pianos, electric pianos, strings, wind instruments, orchestral sounds, guitars, basses, and drums, as well as a wide variety of vintage and modern synth sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
MMEightyEights

Issues changing from one sound to another on MOXF8

Unread post by MMEightyEights » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi, I just bought a Yamaha MOXF8 and I plan to use it as a master controller (using some internal sounds, but also using midi to play organ sounds from my Nord module). I was able to figure out how to set up my patches in Master Mode so I can quickly switch between an internal sound and external sound with the push of 1 button! I do have a few things that I am frustrated with and would like to see if any of them are fixable through configuration or if they are just flaws of the MOXF8.

1) If I am playing a patch and holding a chord (or using sustain pedal to hold a chord) I want to be able to change to a different patch without the 1st patch sound going away until I lift my hand (or foot off sustain). These would allow much smoother transitions rather than having to stop playing completely in order to change a sound and not have the old sound break off awkwardly. My previous keyboard (Roland RD-500) did this. Is there a way to do this with the MOXF8?

2) I would like to be able to switch from a patch in 1 group (ex: A2) to equivalent patch in another group (ex: B2) by just clicking the B key. Instead it forces me to click both the B key and then 2 key (even though I was already in a patch on #2 in a different group). This would allow me for example to have all my pianos in group A, and all my organs in group B, but easily switch between my primary piano A1 and primary organ patch B1 in a single click. Being a great master controller keyboard means minimizing clicks! Any way to configure this?

Other than those 2 issues, I am loving the action and many of the sounds (especially the acoustic pianos and DynaRhodes)! Playing my first gig with it tomorrow, so we will see how well it works in the live setting!
United States of America
anotherscott

Re: Issues changing from one sound to another on MOXF8

Unread post by anotherscott » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 am

MMEightyEights wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 pm
1) If I am playing a patch and holding a chord (or using sustain pedal to hold a chord) I want to be able to change to a different patch without the 1st patch sound going away until I lift my hand (or foot off sustain). These would allow much smoother transitions rather than having to stop playing completely in order to change a sound and not have the old sound break off awkwardly. My previous keyboard (Roland RD-500) did this. Is there a way to do this with the MOXF8?
Yes, but only within groups of (up to) 16 sounds, which you can define. Use "Mix" mode for this. Choose 16 sounds that you'd like to be able to easily switch among, put them in the same Mix, and then you can switch from any one to any other one seamlessly, with the caveat that only 8 of the 16 sounds can have Insert effects on them. You can also trade-off individual sounds for groups. For example, instead of switching among 16 individual sounds, you could also set it up so you can switch among, for example, 11 individual sounds plus a 2-layer sound, plus a 3-part sound that includes a split with one sound on the bottom and two sounds layered on top. Any combination is possible, as long as you don't exceed 16 sounds toal. If you want to exceed 16 sounds total in your ability to switch seamlessly, you'd have to upgrade to a Montage or MODX.
MMEightyEights wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 pm
2) I would like to be able to switch from a patch in 1 group (ex: A2) to equivalent patch in another group (ex: B2) by just clicking the B key. Instead it forces me to click both the B key and then 2 key (even though I was already in a patch on #2 in a different group). This would allow me for example to have all my pianos in group A, and all my organs in group B, but easily switch between my primary piano A1 and primary organ patch B1 in a single click. Being a great master controller keyboard means minimizing clicks! Any way to configure this?
No, and it's better that it doesn't work that way. Imagine you wanted to change from piano A1 to your secondary organ in B2. If it worked the way you want, as soon as you hit the B button, you would immediately be playing the wrong organ sound until you hit the second button. Instead, the way it is now, you can anticipate the change to organ by hitting the B button at any time at all while continuing to play piano, and then when the organ part comes, you only have to hit one button... and now that one button can take you to ANY of your sixteen B sounds! Plus you never have to worry about briefly hearing a "wrong" B sound. So instead of thinking of it as not having one-button access to one B sound, think of it as having one-button access to sixteen B sounds, provided you anticipate it and hit the B button in advance of when you actually need to change sounds.

Here's another idea... think about swapping your "horizontal" and "vertical" orientations. So instead of making your A sounds all Pianos and your B sounds all organs, make your you "1" sounds all pianos and your "2" sounds all organs. Then switching from your favorite Piano to favorite Organ is always one button (to go from A1 to A2), yet you still also have the bank concept of knowing all your ONEs are something, all your TWOs are something else, and so forth.

Return to “Yamaha MOXF”