Best singing tips

Music Stores reviews and links. If you post a link to your own store here please give us a link back.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

gustavowoltmann
Location.: London, Uk

Best singing tips

Unread post by gustavowoltmann »

as you know singing is like a language, a body language.
:violin:
what can you do if you don’t have a good voice but want to sing?
How can you improve your singing voice?
What are the best singing tips out there?
What should you focus on when you practice singing?

Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist :violin:
Loopmasters Sale
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Re: Best singing tips

Unread post by shelly0624 »

There are lots of tutorials on YouTube; some are trying to sell lessons but many are free. They can teach you breath control, physical dynamics, and help improve your range.

For me, the best way to find my voice was to listen to my favorite genre and singers.. (not the ones who can do vocal calisthenics) and sing along. I studied their style and sang with them, but had no desire to copy. Singing full-voice means turning up the volume so you can use your diaphragm and strengthen your vocal chords. Singing scales will help you MUCH with pitch and stretch, while also paying attention to the tone or "color" of your voice when you sing ... in other words, really LISTENING..making the sound pleasant.. the best expression of the tone that best flatters your natural voice and style. To record and listen back to your voice helps to adjust what you do.

This sounds silly, but a little reverb helps. It encourages you. i have memories in the early days of singing Joni Mitchell songs on the stairs of my folks old Victorian house. The room had a tall ceiling and hardwood all around so it created some natural reverb. Maybe it's not important to most, but good acoustics helped me. My friend Margie and I used to sing together in the girl's restroom in high school because of the pleasant echo from the tiled walls and floor. One day a guy stuck his head through the door and asked, "Does the can take requests?" :lol:
Maybe practice through a mic with a little reverb.

There are lessons for all of this and vocal exercises on Youtube.. or you can get a DVD or CD. Some of the exercises make you feel a little silly. Like learning a "hooting" sound in a higher voice can help you find your upper register and stretch your range. It can smooth out the break from middle range to higher. (something I've always struggled with because I have a lower alto voice).

When a person first sings, the vocal chords are out of shape .. one sings "lazy" and the notes can be pitchy. Practice, technique, and concentration polish things up. You'd be surprised how much just opening your throat (to lessen restriction) and singing from your belly (diaphragm) plays a part. If you play an instrument, that's a huge advantage. You can sing to your own music. That helped me, but has also made it really hard lately because I can't accompany myself on guitar anymore. While I'm learning keyboard I've had to sing to other music so my voice doesn't atrophy. A hard adjustment and my voice has suffered.. I miss my guitar.

If you choose a song that you really like, in your range, you can use a performance track.. the musical background without the voice. (YouTube again?) You can usually find them in different keys. Or you can record your own musical background, with your own music. That will REALLY get you in shape because you alone are carrying the melody. It will help with strength, pitch and style. Recording really grows you up vocally.

Most of all, sing from your heart. Feel the words and communicate them with the musical dynamics that fit what your are feeling. Music is an expression of the heart and soul. Anything from a whisper to a real belt-it-out voice. Alison Krauss has a very soft voice in some of her albums, but man, can she sing. Even artists who don't sing well have won the hearts of listeners. (I almost listed some but thought better of it .. fans can be passionate about their favorites :lol: )

Maybe check out Youtube. I laugh sometimes because some of the people offering tutorials sound AWFUL!! :lol:

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

LOTS of good advice in there Shelly, especially the breath control and chest support . . . SO important . . . .

When I first started (at Church), I had the good fortune to come across a Choir Master who knew how to train a voice . . .

Of course, I didn't realise it at the time - I was nine years old. I just thought he was picking on me - making me sing on my own :lol:

I was a "probationer" (Black Cassock) for two years, before I was "allowed in" (Red Cassock).

The Boys of the Choir were chosen by Otto Klemperer to take part in Bach's St Matthew Passion at the Royal Festival Hall

here in London. The lady who looked after the vestments ("Mistress of the Wardrobe" we used to call her) came to me and

said, "Here is your Red Cassock for the Concert Tonight - and you will continue to wear it from now on" ((i)) . . . . . . I was eleven

At rehearsals, the Choir Master used to "warm us up" with THIS exercise . . . . .

I recall it from memory, and reiterate it here. After several times through - the voice is well-oiled and ready (Y)

The seventh chords help to show WHERE the melody is going IYSWIM . . .

IMO, it works best on the way UP . . . . . . DOWN is not so convincing. I'd welcome any ideas how "DOWN" could be done better.

It ends at "top G" which for Trebles, is enough for most Victorian or 16thC Church Music.

Obviously it can be tailored for any Voice/Register . . . . Back in the day - we found it most helpful . . .

Voice Exercises.mp3
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

That's a great vocal exercise, Chris. I might start doing that one.. my voice has atrophied so much.The other thing, too, is to loosen one's jaw, let it drop a little to form the words. It's easy to tighten it when singing without realizing. You've had a rich musical heritage, Chris!!

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Thanks Shel . . . . :wink:

We just used to sing it to "Ah"

With such open vowels he used to say that the tongue should rest against the back of your bottom teeth . . . .

I can send you the midi file - if you want to cut and paste it to suite YOUR register . . . . . ?

The vocal was done by Realitone-Blue BTW . . .

Realitone Blue.jpg

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
gustavowoltmann
Location.: London, Uk

Unread post by gustavowoltmann »

hi, every body thanks for sharing your wonderful views.
in my opinion at beginners level you must launch a sound recording app on their computer or smartphone. then adjust the audio input setting so that it records a pure unaltered version of your voice. practice singing to various melodious songs and recording the outcome.
karaoke songs are another option as well.there are songs out there that fit your vocal range and style.

Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist :violin: