Clavinova CVP-900 Capstan Cushions

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
BillB126

Clavinova CVP-900 Capstan Cushions

Unread post by BillB126 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi All,

My church has a Clavinova CVP-900 that's about 15 years(?) old. I've replaced a few broken hammers over the years, in fact last year I bought that last 12 hammers left in stock at Yamaha, keys and replaced the sustain pedal potentiometer. We experienced the "sticky key" problem with this keyboard a few years ago, but well after the recall for that issue ended. That problem was that the top of the "Hammer Front Cushion", which is a small block of neoprene on each key, got a sticky residue on it and caused the hammer to not release from it properly. I repaired that by adding a piece of kapton tape to just cover the cushion. The action for this piano can be seen here:

We have a new problem that has been progressing over the years. That is that the "Capstan Cushion" on each key have developed a depression where it pushes against the "Capstan Screw". This is changing the action of the mechanism to the point where some keys are slow to release from the depression and other keys are randomly releasing their sustain prematurely. I've replaced 4 keys with the new ones and that has resolved the problems. Others I've tried adjusting the capstan screw with limited success. The problem is not only would it be costly to replace all of the keys, Yamaha has only 4 of the 18 different keys in stock. There is a separate part number for the capstan cushion, but neither Yamaha nor any of their part suppliers that I've found have any of them.

All of that being said, here are my questions;
1. Does anyone know of a source of supply for,
a. the capstan cushion p/n V5959600
b. the hammer front cushion p/n V8190900
c. the capstan screwdriver p/n AAX24950 (Tap Electronics has them for 287 USD)
d. or the keys themselves
2. Barring finding those parts, does anyone know of a newer model that has the same type of action? I'm hoping they would have a similar capstan cushion that would still be in stock.
3. Any others ideas, like what the capstan cushion materials are and where to get them to make my own?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clavinova CVP-900 Capstan Cushions

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:37 am

First of all a very warm welcome to the forum :)

You have certainly put a lot of work into maintaining that CVP-900 over the years! :clap:

Looking through what you have done and taking into account the ongoing issues and spare parts availability I would be seriously considering it may be time to look for a newer replacement.

I know the CVP-900 is a beautiful instrument but it came out in 2003 and things have moved on greatly since then.

Yamaha themselves have produced some really nice Clavinova's since the CVP-900 but there are also less costly but high quality alternatives from Casio that may well be worth looking into and I am thinking here particularly of the new PX-S3000 or maybe the PX-560

Or take a look at the Dexibell Vivo S9 which whilst definitely not for the budget conscious it is an incredibly versatile and high quality keyboard.

Lastly of course the new CP-88 from Yamaha which is an amazing quality instrument both in terms of build and sound. There is also an extensive roadmap of support in place for this instrument so longevity is not something you need be concerned about.

Thing is, although you may still be able to source parts for the CVP-900 now it is going to become increasingly difficult and very soon it simply will not be economically viable to try and keep it going. Time to move on?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Clavinova”