How to hook up a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-122S to an Apple via MIDI?

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
bhturnow

How to hook up a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-122S to an Apple via MIDI?

Unread post by bhturnow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 am

Hello, I am completely new to using instruments and computers. My son is learning how to play piano and wants to be able to play/record using either GarageBand or Pro Logic X. I have the piano and an Apple iMac 27". I bought the cable that runs from the Yamaha piano to the USB port on my computer. The cable powers up and my Apple recognizes the input.

Can someone please explain to me step by step how to play the piano into the computer. I have no idea what settings to change or set in order to get it to work.

I have the manual for the Yamaha Clavinova, but it makes little sense. I tried to find videos on Youtube on how to do it, but could not find any. Thank you!!!!

Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Thank you......Brad
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to hook up a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-122S to an Apple via MIDI?

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 am

Hi bhturnow, and welcome to the forums . . . .

I've been a long time away from Macs now, but . . . . .

This might help:

As you say - The Mac can SEE the Clavinova - but you may need to actually select IT in the

Audio/Midi settings in order to use it (IIRC).

You may need to reiterate THAT choice in the Logic and GB preferences also . . . .

There are plenty of Mac users in here - so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to clarify what

I've remembered - and set you right . . . ((i))

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
bhturnow

Re: How to hook up a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-122S to an Apple via MIDI?

Unread post by bhturnow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:27 am

Thank you! I will give it a try. I will let you know what happens.

Return to “Clavinova”