Connect MIDI-Organ-Pedal to Clavinova CLP-440

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Albania
KJura

Connect MIDI-Organ-Pedal to Clavinova CLP-440

Unread post by KJura » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Hello there and a heartly Thanks for this Forum!

I come from Austria and I have a funny idea - Why not try to put teh basepedal of my very old analog organ together with my Yamaha Clavinova CLP-440?

I think i managed already the hard part: I used a board from WIRA electronics, that turns all the signals from the base-pedals and sends them to a MIDI out. I don't have much options with this board: I can set a Jumper to transpose one octave down and I can set the MIDI-send-channel between 1 and 16. Thats how that cute little thing looks:
WIN_20191005_17_37_02_Pro.jpg
And it works! :D

I connect the MIDI-Out of the WIRA-board with the MIDI-In of my CLP-440 and it works:

When I use the standard sound ("grand piano") I hear the pedals playing the piano (with velocity 128, since the pedals do not measure the velocity^^). BUT if I change the sound to "pipe organ", then my organpedal ist still playing the "grand piano" while CLP-440 keyboard changes to "pipe organ". 1. question: Any idea to fix this?? :?

My second idea was to connect CLP-440 via USB to my Windows-Tablet (MIIX 520) while I connect the MIDI cable of the organpedal to the MIDI thru of the CLP-440. GrandOrgue connects to the CLP-440 nicely, but it get's only signals from the CLP-440 keyboard - none of the organpedals. 2. Question: Why could that be - How to fix this??

My third idea was to connect it separately, which I could not try yet, because I have to buy more cables and some kind of MIDI interface, that takes the MIDI signal of CLP-440 and the the one from the organpedal and gives them to the windowstablet. I am not sure if I need something special, since the MIDI signal form the organpedal seems to be weird in some way. I managed to get the MIDI signal from the organpedal to the windows-tablet by using a Tascam US144 MK2.

Here is a picture of the connections of CLP-440:
WIN_20191005_17_37_50_Pro.jpg
Here is a picture of the Tascam US144 MK2:
WIN_20191005_17_37_25_Pro.jpg

OK guys, I am curious what you say! <-> Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Connect MIDI-Organ-Pedal to Clavinova CLP-440

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:00 pm

It sounds like your first setup was working fine other than the voice, so I would suggest going back to that.

The problem of the voice is a common one when sending MIDI from one device to another. It occurs because there is no voice being selected by the sending device, hence the receiving device is using voice 000-000-000, which is the GM Acoustic Grand Piano voice. (Those three numbers separated by dashes are the Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change values.) You might be selecting a voice on the keyboard, but it needs to be selected for the specific MIDI channel that the organ pedals' MIDI is being received on, otherwise it will not affect the notes being played by the pedals and sounded by the keyboard.

The solution is either to send the BS (Bank Select) and PC (Program Change) values for the desired voice to the keyboard on the necessary channel, or select the voice on the keyboard for that specific channel. I'm about to go out for the evening so I can't check the documentation for the keyboard right now to offer suggestions or instructions on how to do that.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:14 am

Regarding your second question, I've never used MIDI THRU so I might be wrong, but I thought MIDI THRU was more like MIDI OUT than MIDI IN? In other words, the device (in this case, CLP-440) can respond to whichever portions (channels, note ranges, types of messages) of the MIDI IN signal are desired, and the original MIDI IN signal will also be output from MIDI THRU so it can go to another device that will likewise respond to whichever portions of the signal are desired.

Thus, connecting the pedals to the MIDI THRU won't do anything helpful, since the pedals can't respond to any received MIDI.

After looking at the CLP-440's documents, I don't think there's a way to directly select the voice for whichever MIDI channel the pedal's notes are being sent on-- presumably channel 1. But I think you should be able to do it indirectly using a MIDI song file or SMF (Standard MIDI File). The way my PSR-E models work is that when I select a song to play, the keyboard automatically reads the first portion of the song data-- the "SInit" measure-- and sets up the MIDI channels with the specified voices and settings. If you create some SMFs that contain the voices you want to play with the pedals, I think you should be able to select the desired voice simply by selecting the song (or SMF) that contains the voice you want to use.

Let me see if I can create a sample SMF for you to try. If it works, then I can create SMFs for all 24 of the CLP-440's voices.
Michael Rideout
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:17 pm

I've used Cubase to create a MIDI song file that simply sets the Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change for channel 1. If it works as intended, when you select the "song" it should select the CLP-440's "Pipe Organ" voice on channel 1, which I'm assuming is the channel that the pedal's MIDI is playing on. Let me know how it works.
PipeOrgn.mid
(63 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
Michael Rideout
User avatar Albania
KJura

Unread post by KJura » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:13 am

:music-guitarred: :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred: It works! :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred:

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MICHAEL!
I renamed your .mid-File to "USERSONG00.mid", copied it to a USB Stick and connected it to the CLP-440. When I select the song, my pedals immediatly change their voice to the organ sound, GREAT! The only problem was, that the pedal was too loud, so I opened your .mid-File in Logic and decreased the MIDI-Volume, now it's just fine.

Now my organ unit works stand alone, without any laptops and programms to boot, a dream come true!
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:46 am

That is great news! :) I thought it should work, but "should" and "will" are two different words, so I'm glad it did.

You can create similar "song" files for any other voices you want to play with the pedals, then switch between voices by selecting a different "song" file. If you need help with that, I think I can do it pretty quickly since there are only 28(?) voices in all.
Michael Rideout

Return to “Clavinova”