CVP-701 New User Frustrated With Poor Documentation

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

lbeck02

CVP-701 New User Frustrated With Poor Documentation

Unread post by lbeck02 »

What I want my brain to do is to see a note on the staff and send a signal to my right hand to hit a particular key on the Clavinova. I've done a word search of both manuals and there is no match for the words "treble" or "clef". With all the capabilities of the 701 I believe that there must be a setting to force treble clef only. Is there??

I'm about a month and > 40 hours on my new 701. I'm very pleased with the instrument and am amazed at the sound and capabilities. However, I find the user guide and reference manual confusing and difficult to follow. II suspect that the editors insisted on being concise but I'm still struggling with some important functions. The two manuals combined have less than 250 pages. Can anyone here recommend a fully comprehensive book that explains in detail the many functions of this instrument?

So far I've been playing by ear but am trying to learn right-hand only so that I can do melodies that I've taught the piano and let the instrument do the accompaniment by reading the chord name and using the left-hand, one/two finger method. But the score continues to occasionally produce melody notes on the bass clef. This is confusing my burned-in memory because I read bass clef from playing trombone in high school and the notes on the bass clef of course relate to different notes than if the were on the same line of the treble clef.

Sorry for the long post.

Rabbit Tree Studio
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: CVP-701 New User Frustrated With Poor Documentation

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I do not have a CVP-701, nor have I ever played a CVP, CLP, or PSR-S model that includes a "score" feature, so I'm just making guesses based on what's in the Owner's Manual and Reference Manual.

First of all, I think "treble clef" is probably synonymous with "right-hand part," and "bass clef" is probably synonymous with "left-hand part," since those are the hands which are normally used to play the notes that are written on the treble clef and bass clef, and Yamaha likes to express the song parts in terms of the right-hand part, left-hand part, and additional or "extra" parts. For example, see page 76 of the Owner's Manual.

By default, the right-hand part is taken from channel 1 of the MIDI song file, the left-hand part is taken from channel 2, and channels 3 through 16 form the "extra" parts, as stated on page 76 of the Owner's Manual.

You might have a MIDI song file where the left- and right-hand parts are combined on the same channel. This is because a MIDI song file normally uses a single channel for each instrument sound needed for the song, such as acoustic piano on channel 1, electric piano on channel 2, organ on channel 3, acoustic guitar on channel 4, electric guitar on channel 5, bass guitar on channel 6, and so forth. If the left- and right-hand parts are both being played on the same instrument, such as an acoustic piano, then it's very possible-- even highly likely-- that the notes for both parts will be combined on the same channel. If such is the case, you'll need to copy that particular combined left/right channel to a free channel-- assuming the MIDI song file isn't using all 16 channels and happens to have at least one unused channel available. Then you'll need to edit both channels-- the original and the copy-- to remove the undesired notes such that one channel has only the right-hand notes and the other channel has only the left-hand notes, if you follow me.

As long as you have the notes of the right-hand part on one channel, and the notes of the left-hand part on another channel, you can tell the CVP-701 which channel to get the right-hand notes from, and which channel to get the left-hand notes from. See pages 38 and 39 of the Reference Manual.

As I said, I'm just making guesses here, so I hope I've described things correctly.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
lbeck02

Unread post by lbeck02 »

Thanks Michael for taking the time to read the CVP-701 manuals to research this. Unfortunately, I don't think that I was clear enough with my question.

My primary objective is to see the notes on the treble clef. This is because I hope to do a better job reading melodies (see my statement about wanting to train my brain to see a note and transfer that to finger -> keyboard).

Based on my limited knowledge about MIDI music I barely understand your comments regarding various instruments on various channels. But since I'm only recording right-hand melodies I'm only on channel 1. Right now because of my old but embedded trombone knowledge when I see a note on the next-to-highest line I need to force my brain to recognize it as "D" rather than "F". Having the clef change from treble to bass is confusing me and hindering my transition from a bass clef guy to a melody-only treble clef guy.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to learn piano. My primary reason for buying the 701 is its ability to make great music without fingering full chords. You can get natural/minor/7th etc with only one or 2 fingers along with rhythm, bass-note progressions and lots of cool stuff without reading the stacked-note chords.

With all the technology embedded in the 701 I'm thinking that there may be a setting to force all the right-hand music onto the treble clef and I just haven't found that option yet.

JayBird707
Location.: The Villages, Florida USA

Unread post by JayBird707 »

I agree about the documentation. Try Susan Ogilvy she helped me tremendously.