Best possible recording of clavinova

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
Method46

Best possible recording of clavinova

Unread post by Method46 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am

I have been recording my Clavinova CLP-658 using the stereo line out through an Apogee audio interface into Logic Pro X. In order to improve the quality of the recording further, would it be recommended to also record the live sound with microphones and then blend the live sound and the line out sound in the mix?

The clavinova is not in a great sounding room.

Essentially I would like to know what a pro producer would do under these circumstances. I am looking to upgrade my audio interface so this would partially determine how many mic inputs I need. It would also involve further expense in terms of getting a matched pair of microphones. If it adds less than 10% overall quality I will probably do without but if it’s more I would be tempted to go down that route.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best possible recording of clavinova

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi Method46 and a warm welcome to the forums. Hope your new year started off well? :)

Let me preface the following by saying I am in no way a "pro-producer" and this is just going by my own experiences over the years. I'm sure you will find more info from some of our other members who do more in-depth recording than I do.

I think it safe to say that nearly all electronic keyboards are best recorded direct into your interface/mixer and then making adjustments as needed in the DAW. IF you were recording a purely acoustic piano of course it would be very different and you would use room mics. Although they do take quite a bit of moving and testing to get the right sound, especially so if the room you are in doesn't lend itself well to this sort of thing. That can be mitigated though so it can be done :)

Matched pairs of microphones are preferable to non matched but these days the manufacturing processes and tolerances of good quality makes is so close you would probably be not far off matching if you bought individual mics. Personally I use matched pairs of RODE M5's and Sennheiser e614's. I also have a RED5 RV6 to add a bit more room ambience sometimes. I am only recording acoustic guitar and vocals with these though.

So in essence what you are already doing is fine and I would leave it at that. Spend the money on a usb mixer. That will give you more inputs and a lot more options for recording in the future. There are not many audio interfaces with more than 2 mic inputs and the ones that do have more get expensive very quickly but for no real advantage over a mixer.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm certainly no pro producer, but my gut feelings are as follows:

(1) You should not mix a recording made with microphones and a recording made directly with the stereo line out, because there's no telling how the sound waves will interact with each other, possibly resulting in phase cancellation. Go with one or the other.

(2) I think the main reason for recording any instrument-- including the human voice-- using one or more microphones would be if you're trying to capture the way the instrument sounds in the room, including any natural reverberation. The other reason would be if the instrument is acoustic and there's no way to directly record its sound without using microphones. In general, I would think that it's preferred to record directly, without having to use any microphones-- unless the nature of the instrument requires the use of microphones-- if only because there's less likelihood of picking up any unwanted background sounds.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
Method46

Unread post by Method46 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Great, thank you!

Return to “Clavinova”