reFace YC MIDI setup

Yamaha reface CP/DX/CS/YC mini keyboards

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

amckean
Location.: Mexico

reFace YC MIDI setup

Unread post by amckean »

I love the organ sounds of the reFace YC and have been trying to get my it working as a sound module to play it with my MIDI controller. So far, no go. Here is what I tried:

1) I routed MIDI to the reFace YC via USB and Apple Audio MIDI Setup. Nothing seems to work. It won't allow connection from the controller's MIDI OUT port to the reFace's MIDI IN port when in the hierarchical view. If I switch to the list view, it allows the connection but when I connect my controller's MIDI OUT port to the reFace's MIDI IN port, they look backward. It looks like the controller MIDI IN is connected to the reFace's MIDI OUT. I can't get any sound out of the reFace this way. I have tried to get sounds out of the reFace when MainStage is running, Komplete Kontrol is running, and when Logic is running. Nothing.

2) I connected my controller's MIDI OUT port to the reFace's MIDI IN. This works sometimes but whenever I connect my other gear to my Mac, the reFace stops making any sound. Once I disconnect my audio interface from the Mac, sometimes the reFace will start making sounds if keep hitting keys on my controller for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes not.

3) I connected my little Yamaha BT01 MIDI Bluetooth adapter to the reFace's MIDI OUT and IN ports, but the Bluetooth doesn't connect to it. Not enough power to the adapter from the reFace? I don't know. In any case, that doesn't work either.

I will be fine with using a direct MIDI cable to the reFace from my controller (Native Instruments S61 Mk2) but I can only occasionally get it to work when my audio interface is disconnected. Never when the audio interface is connected and on. If I am able to get it working via the direct MIDI cable, as soon as I turn the audio interface on, the reface stops making sounds. My MIDI controller and Yamaha audio interface are both connected to my Mac via USB. I was hoping that I would be able to just connect the reFace via USB to my Mac and play from the MIDI controller, but no ... Any ideas?

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: reFace YC MIDI setup

Unread post by parametric »

amckean wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 pmMy MIDI controller and Yamaha audio interface are both connected to my Mac via USB. I was hoping that I would be able to just connect the reFace via USB to my Mac and play from the MIDI controller, but no ... Any ideas?
When you have two midi-usb devices connected to a computer, I believe ONE has to be the HOST.

Not all devices can be a Host . . . . see this post:

viewtopic.php?p=90363#p90363

perhaps this helps?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris