MX88 vs dgx660 etc.

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

iamdave
United States of America

MX88 vs dgx660 etc.

Unread post by iamdave » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:39 am

So I have a dgx660 and LOVE it. Way too big and heavy to gig with for me though. I actually had a cp4 stage at one point but wanted more sounds. I had a nord but didn't like the pianos or the $. I got the dgx60 for home and loved it, especially for the price. So anyhow, I'm looking for a gigging keyboard with pianos, ep's and some organs and I do like yamaha's key feel and pianos in general. So I was thinking for the dgx660 as an option. At about 30lbs it's the most I'd want to lug around.

My questions are what the differences are between it and the dgx660. Also, I tried a p125 but it was quite limited and the sounds were pretty basic. I'm amazed at the difference in the p125 and dgx660. The 660 sounds so much better. Is it the larger speakers or tones?

Anyhow, I look forward to your input. Thank you.

Dave
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: MX88 vs dgx660 etc.

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 am

iamdave wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:39 am
So I was thinking for the dgx660 as an option.
Judging by the title of your post, I'm guessing you meant to say "MX88" in that sentence?

The MX88 is a very different type of keyboard than the DGX-660. Basically, the MX88 is more of a synth, whereas the DGX-660 is more of an arranger. The MX88 is marketed as a synth, but it's essentially a "ROMpler," so it's not as sophisticated of a synth as, say, the new MODX. And the DGX-660 isn't really marketed as an arranger, but it does play auto accompaniments or "style files," although its accompaniment capabilities are not as sophisticated as those of the higher-end arrangers such as the PSR-S, Tyros, and Genos.

The MX88 should have some very nice-sounding acoustic piano and electric piano voices, probably better-sounding than those on the DGX-660 (although I haven't played a DGX-660, so I can't speak from personal experience). The MX88 has exactly the same voices as the MX61 and MX49, so if none of your local music stores have an MX88 set up for you to try, you might see if any stores have an MX61 or MX49 set up for you to try.

Aside from what are likely to be better-sounding voices, the MX88 does not have the ability to play style files the way the DGX-660 does, so if you're in the habit of using the DGX-660's auto-accompaniment features while you play then you'll need to make some adjustments in your playing habits for the MX88. Also, the layout of the MX88's panel controls is very different than the DGX-660, its LCD screen is much smaller, and the display is textual rather than graphical, so you'll need to get used to those differences.

In short, the MX88 has advantages over the DGX-660 in terms of its sounds, including better capabilities for editing the voices and combining them into splits and layers. Yet the DGX-660 has advantages over the MX88 in terms of its LCD display and the ability to play auto accompaniments.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: MX88 vs dgx660 etc.

Unread post by Saul » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 am

Agree with everything Michael said there. The MX88 is a synth but you need third party software to unlock it's potential. It's sounds are based on the Motif XS and Classic Motif so it sounds great however you would need to plug it into either active monitors or an external amp as it has no built in speakers. The DGX of course does have speakers so that may be important to you.

All in all, both great keyboards and both have strengths and weaknesses. My money would always be on the MX but I come at keyboard from always having owned synths not arrangers.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”