Changing transmit channel on an MX series Help!!!!!

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
johnnypro

Changing transmit channel on an MX series Help!!!!!

Unread post by johnnypro » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi All,
Newbie here. New to the MX series, but have owned MOX8 and a bunch of P-series Yamaha Pianos.
I need a new "bottom" keyboard and I'm thinking of the MX88. Great sounds (Mostly same as my MOX8) and great action.
I would use the MOX8, but the main board is toast and it can't be moved (changes sounds on it's own).

I have been trying to figure out how to change the Midi output channel on the MX to mate with my Roland VR-09, which needs to receive on channel 4. I have an MX49 so I've been experimenting with using that midi'd into the VR-09 and I can't get it to work properly.

Sweetwater told me to got to Utility, then MIDI, then Basic Channel and change it there to 4. That doesn't seem to do anything.

The PARTS of the MX are attached to their MIDI channels, so if I go to Part select, change it to part 4, then change it to Concert Piano, it will play the piano on the MX, and work fine with the VR-09, playing all the sounds. But when I save that to a Performance, it will only play some of the VR-09 sounds thru midi.

My Yamaha P85 can change the output channel to 4 easily, my MOX8 changes output simply thru the Utility button (Utility, MIDI, transmit channel).

Why is this so difficult on the MX???

Or am I missing something???
I'm all set to buy a new MX88 and want it for a New Years Eve gig. Please help!!! :) JP
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing transmit channel on an MX series Help!!!!!

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 am

Hi JP and welcome to the forums :)

I saw your message on our FB page and I understand you have had no response from Yamaha regarding this question.

I don't own the MX myself although I did have one on loan a while back and found it to be a really nice board...apart from the tiny display but I do have a thing about displays ;)

What you are describing should indeed be very easy to achieve unless for some reason the MIDI has been hobbled on the MX. Yamaha did do that with the MM6 many years ago so there is a precedent for them doing that. However I would not have thought it was the case here.

Do you have a third party editor for the MX? I have a feeling that using this to change the midi channel and then saving it might work. A lot of the more powerful functions of the MX are only accessible via a software editor and whilst I would not class changing MIDI channel as a "power edit" still it may just work that way?

We do of course have MX owners on the forum so perhaps one of those can go through the process and share their knowledge on the subject?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:05 am

Thanx for the reply!!
I downloaded the VycroMX editor earlier but haven't had a chance to work with it yet. I will give it a shot tomorrow, but I have to admit I've put in a lot of time on something that should be simple. Plus not hearing back from Yamaha TS is very disappointing. (Going on 3 days since I called, 4 since I emailed them). I have been looking locally for a cheap used P-95 or P-85, or a MOXF8. I would prefer a new MX88 if it will do what I need.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Well as I said, I can't see a logical reason why it would not work. What you want to do is a pretty standard sort of thing and provided the MX has a full midi implementation it "should" work.

I will pass it on to Yamaha UK and see if they know but at this time of year many people are out of the office in annual leave but worth a try anyway.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank You!!!!
johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:33 pm

So I got up this morning, looked at my eBay feed and found a MOXF8 for $900 with a 30 day return. I snagged it right up.
Sorry to have bothered you all!!!! Thanx!!! JP
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Nothing to be sorry about JP. Nice bargain you have there and hopefully the MOXF8 will do everything you need it to do. Do keep us posted on how it goes. :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I have a newish MX49 but don't have much experience with it yet. And I've been preoccupied with other things the last day or two and hadn't made time to try this and reply.

First of all-- Thank you for mentioning the VycroMX editor. I'd tried to download it the other week but the website's domain name had just expired. I was lucky enough to find a copy of the installation package for the free version archived on one of my computers from when I'd downloaded it a few years back, but the website is up and running again, so now I was finally able to download the Pro version-- which is also free, although it wasn't free a few years back when I snagged the lite version.

Also, I know you've resolved your need by finding a bargain on a MOXF8-- which is a better-featured synth than the MX88-- but you did say you have an MX49 so you can try this on that. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm thinking it should probably work.

As you say, the 16 MIDI channels are attached to the correspondingly-numbered parts. The menu system of the MX doesn't give you a way to change those assignments, but the VycroMX editor should let you do that, which I believe is how it lets you use up to 16 Performance parts at once.

If you change the MX's transmit channel to 4, I think you should then be able to use the VycroMX editor to change Performance part 1 to channel 4. I think that will tell the MX to transmit part 1's MIDI on channel 4. Or if you want to use the Left part for playing the other keyboard and keep playing the MX using the Right part, assign the Left part to channel 4 and keep the Right1 part on channel 1.

However, I assume (haven't checked it yet) that the VycroMX editor lets you change two channel assignments for each part-- the part's Send or Transmit channel, as well as its Receive channel. It's the Send/Transmit channel that you'd want to change.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:03 pm

I'll play with the VycroMX editor after Christmas when I have more time and let you know what I come up with. I figured it would work on the MX, but then I would have to set up a bunch of Performances for the 15 or so patches I use with the band. I've had 2 MOX8's that I used with this band so I can just set up the MOXF8 FAVORITES with the same patches and I'm ready to rock, or er do cocktail (It's a wedding band). It's a bit heavier than the MX88 and the Casio PX-5s that I used on the last gig.

I've been using Yamaha pianos for 17 years now, and anything else sounds wrong to me on a gig.

Have a great Holiday!!! JP
johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm

OK, so FedEx trashed the MOXF8 I bought on eBay so I'm back playing a P95 that I found locally. Sometimes you can't win!!!! Happy New Year!!! - JP
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Oh, no! I hope you got a complete refund!
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 pm

What on earth are Fedex doing? Seems couriers are the same the world over :/:

Hey but maybe it was the universe pointing you in a different direction? Winter NAMM is just a few weeks off so perhaps something will appear there that might suit you better. There's always a silver lining if you look hard enough :handgestures-thumbup:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

johnnypro

Unread post by johnnypro » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 am

Sent it back yesterday. Seller promises full refund, as does eBay. Trying to find another one, wish me luck.
The best thing is that there seem to be some out there for way under $1k, but I would Looooove to find one close enough to just pick it up.

I would love to do MODx8, but I've only had 10 minutes on one and I'm not sure if my wedding band gigs warrant such a large expenditure.
Happy New Year!!! JP
John_Fogarty

Unread post by John_Fogarty » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 pm

I've been able to get the Vycro MX Pro to work well... my first experiment was changing part 1 of a performance to have the first four voices create four layers at once by just switching all of their midi channels to 1.. nice...

In any case, I believe the Vycro MX will do what you need it to do... HOWEVER, since you''ll change the main MX midi value to use MIDI USB so you can do the editing to your MX to change the midi channels in your performance to midi channel 4, you need to remember to go back to the MX and change your main midi from USB back to midi if you're using the 5pin DIM to your other unit... Rock-on!

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”