Noisy key on MX88! Haven't even owned 6 months!

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Noisy key on MX88! Haven't even owned 6 months!

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi buttons, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

Sorry to hear you are also having problems with the MX88 keys. I am not sure if anything has changed with that particular keybed. It may be coincidental but until last year I had not really come across any problems with Yamaha keys. Then after the MODX8 appeared we started seeing reports of noisy, clanky keys and they are still coming in. And now the same issue appears on the MX88 so, perhaps something has changed in the production process. I doubt Yamaha would say if it had though.

So as I mentioned before, you now have a dilemma. You can get it repaired and I am sure you will receive an extended warranty from Yamaha but, confidence has now been dented and you will always be wondering if the keys are going to start playing up mid performance?

Jumping ship to another brand is one way to go but if you are keeping to the same price as the MX88 what are your choices?

Roland DS88 - Great keyboard, really nice keys but would you like the "Roland Sound"? https://amzn.to/2Xx1Prl
Casio PX5S - In my opinion a better keyboard all round but again you need to like the sound. https://amzn.to/2GRIagr
Kurzweil SP6 - Again I think this is a better option than the MX88
Casio PX-S3000 - This is not out yet..due in stores later this month. A much better keyboard than the MX88. Superb quality keys and sounds.

All of those are within the MX88 price range and all have better quality keybeds so it's just a matter of weighing up the other features each of them has and comparing with the MX.

I do love Yamaha products but I won't buy something just because it has the 'Yamaha' logo on it. It needs to stand on it's own merit and this is why for me, I would not buy an MX88. There are better keyboards out there for the money.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar United States of America
CNiTechs

Unread post by CNiTechs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Just an FYI, just received a brand new MX88 from Sweetwater yesterday, it has arrived with a noisy key. :-/
So based on what I am reading hear something must be up...have a good mind to return it (it has fantastic sound and plays great) and cut my loses.
Thoughts? Have always been a Yamaha fan back to the DX7, TX81Z days. I had been considering an DS88...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 pm

CNiTechs wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 pm
Just an FYI, just received a brand new MX88 from Sweetwater yesterday, it has arrived with a noisy key. :-/
So based on what I am reading hear something must be up...have a good mind to return it (it has fantastic sound and plays great) and cut my loses.
Thoughts? Have always been a Yamaha fan back to the DX7, TX81Z days. I had been considering an DS88...
As much as it pains me to say it If it were me I would now be looking to jump to something more reliable in the keys dept and as we discussed before, the Roland DS88 is definitely an option and one I have had experience of myself.

It seems there are problems with the Yamaha GHS keybed, not all of them of course but certainly enough to make a gigging musician think twice :think:

You have had two MX88's now and both have key problems are you going to take a chance on a third?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
CNiTechs

Unread post by CNiTechs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Agreed...Pains me to say it but I have a DS88 coming to me tomorrow, will be returning the MX88 unless overruled by my better half. :-(
Hopefully the DS88 doesn't disappoint...guys a Sweetwater seem to prefer the DS88 over the MX88 so we shall see. Watched a lot of videos and it seems to have a lot of the same features and then some, Sweetwater includes 8GB USB of additional sounds which seem excellent. No software included but that's Ok...
CNiTechs

Unread post by CNiTechs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Received the DS88 yesterday, sent back the MX88...a very wise decision. ;-) The DS88 keyboard is in my opinion actually nicer...sounds are great etc.
Sad that I had to return the MX88 as I have always preferred Yamaha products. But for anyone on the fence, you cant go wrong with the DS88. The people at Sweetwater were great and the swap was painless...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Great to hear you like the DS88. I loved it when I had it here. I think it is an excellent all round keyboard and the keys themselves are really nice to play on, or they were for me but of course these things are always subjective. Sad about the MX88 though. They really need to start fitting a higher quality keybed in these keyboards.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

fifcic

Unread post by fifcic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:49 pm

This looks like you are getting keys with chipped hinge that need to be replaced. It is not normal really after 6 month. This reminds me of a similar problem that happened with the original MOTIF 8 and S90. keys kept breaking easily and Yamaha ended up replacing the entire keybed under special warranty. I think they had a bad batch of keybed. The thing is this was on professional instruments with the BHD keybed. The GHS keybed is a mid range piano action keybed that is shared between instruments like the P-70 and CP-40 digital pianos and the mid-range synths (MOXF-8, MODX-8, MX-88). If you have the same problem again and live in the US, I can tell you the rate to replace one or more broken keys is 150$ + the price of the parts (1 key is around 7$ at YAMAHA 24x7 in the US). If you do not have parts in your country, Syntaur.com has the original parts and can ship internationaly. the best I would recommend for the future is to watch YouTube videos like (how to replace a sticky key on a P-70) and learn how to do it yourself. It is very easy to do and you will save some time and money.
fifcic

Unread post by fifcic » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Actually forget why I stated earlier. the GHS key-bed is even worse than I thought.
For Video on how to replace the keys on the MX-88 look at this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=9749

It is for the MOXF8 but they share the same key-bed.

The GHS key-bed is a low end piano action used in the piano you find in supermarkets or at COSTCO.

It is designed for kids learning piano that will not really abuse the action. It is a shame that YAMAHA decided to use it for their mid range synths. this keybed will not withstand the abuse of organ riff and splash or funky glissando. the white keys are held by a plastic tiny hinge that will break after to much side twisting. What were they thinking......

Also on a side note: the reason people are having dead keys or velocity issues is because the rubber strip on the GHS is of the floating type. means that as keys are depressed the rubber cup will release the air on the side creating tinny air blows but will also suck air from the side as the key is released, sucking air and debris under the cup. this is why you have to clean up under the rubber cups frequently. very bad design for performance oriented instruments.

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”