Editing MIDI files for use on MX49

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
guellis

Editing MIDI files for use on MX49

Unread post by guellis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi, I am a new MX49 user. I play in a cover band and am trying to figure out how to use the MX49 to play some synth parts (from midi files) while the rest of the band is playing live. I know how to access external files and play them. However, I can't find a way to edit the midi files to accomplish 2 things:

* remove all of the parts (like vocal melody, drums, etc.) that I don't need;
* use the correct MX49 voices.

I think what I want is a midi editor that allows me to make changes (basically delete parts and modify voices) and then save them. I've tried doing this in the free version of Cubase that came with my synth and also in garage band. Neither appears to allow me to save the midi file after I've made changes. :-(

I've also tried to figure out how I can make edits on the MX49 itself (like changing the volume and voicing of Parts). that hasn't worked either.

A couple of important factors:
* I'm a Mac user.
* I'm willing to spend a little $$$, but don't really want to purchase Logic or Pro Tools or something like that because my need is really limited.

I am primarily a guitar player and relatively new to the synch/midi world. I find the Yamaha MX documentation to be kind of confusion. Any guidance or pointing to helpful resources would be great appreciated.

Thanks
Guy
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Editing MIDI files for use on MX49

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:39 am

Cubase should let you save the changes, but I don't have access to my Cubase right now so I can't tell you what steps (menu selections) to use-- although it should be described in the manual, which is admittedly pretty large.

There are also other DAWs which come in Mac-compatible versions, such as Cockos REAPER and Tracktion T7. REAPER isn't free, but the free trial is the full program and it never expires-- you're just reminded after the trial period ends that you should buy a license for it (which is very affordable) if you intend to keep using it. T7 is free, although the newer versions of Tracktion's DAW are not.

Regardless of which DAW you decide to go with, your real problem may be that you just need to spend some time learning how to use it, in which case it might be best to see if you can get more familiar with Cubase before you try switching to something else.

The hard drive on my Windows PC failed-- hence my inability to access Cubase right now-- but I'll see if I can install Cubase on my MacBook Air so I can try to help you with it.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”