Best amplifier for MX61?

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Blakestyger

Best amplifier for MX61?

Unread post by Blakestyger »

Hello from Ottawa, Canada. New MX61 user would like members suggestions on best amp or speakers for the synth? Thanks.

YamahaUser

Re: Best amplifier for MX61?

Unread post by YamahaUser »

You might want to provide a bit more information. For what purpose - home use, playing out, etc.? Stereo or mono? Budget?

Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
Blakestyger

Unread post by Blakestyger »

Hi YamahaUser,

100% for home use, and yes prefer stereo over mono. I have several electric guitar amps (including several Fender, as well as Roland, Dr Z) but probably wouldn't get the sonic sounds from the MX61 BU (I'm awaiting shipment of the new synth in March) with guitar amps. Budget is under $400-$500 and I still need to buy a sustain pedal and the USB to MIDI cable to use the FM Essentials. Thanks for suggestions, appreciated.

YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser »

I agree that guitar amps aren't the best choice for keyboard amplification. For home use and stereo I'd suggest a pair of powered studio monitor speakers, and they don't have to be especially powerful. I tend to like Yamaha products (and just to make it clear, I don't have any relationship with the company), so I think you might consider the Yamaha HS5 speakers. Properly placed in your room - and placement is important to get the best from any speaker - they should do the trick. You should find them for US$400 (somewhat higher in CA) a pair, or less. Sometimes there are deals that include stands for the price.

The HS5 works well if the room isn't very large and if you don't expect exaggerated bass. It's a near-field speaker - keep that in mind when positioning and/or evaluating.

Speakers likes/dislikes tend to be personal, so I expect there will be other suggestions.

No matter which speaker you decide on, I suggest the purchase be made from a dealer having a liberal return policy, in case the sound isn't to your personal taste.

Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
Kcowen2210

Unread post by Kcowen2210 »

I use a Roland kc 150 in my home, sounds great. You can find used amps on craigslist also. I use my with the mx88