MX88 as Cubase controller

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SiFi1960
Location.: UK

MX88 as Cubase controller

Unread post by SiFi1960 »

Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum and to the entire DAW universe too, so will doubtless post a plethora of the most mind-numbing noob questions. If anyone is weary of that sort of stuff, please feel free to note my login name and put me on ignore!

I am the happy owner of an MX88 and have it linked to Cubase Pro on my laptop via a newly-purchased UR22mkII. I've been recording MIDI tracks with no issues for a short while using the USB out connection from the MX to my laptop. I recently introduced the interface with a view to adding vocals and guitars and, again, the set-up seems to work well, despite now switching from USB to the dedicated MIDI outputs on the UR22.

My question, however, relates to controlling the DAW from the panel of the MX. It simply refuses to work properly - regardless of the MIDI output (USB or 5-pin) I use. Rather than stopping and starting the track, the MX Stop and Play buttons produce musical notes, as do the buttons on the instrument category panel to the right-hand side. On occasions, rather than musical notes, the Play button will start the track, but plays an instrument sound in a sequenced fashion I neither recognise or want!

I have searched this forum and the web in general for a solution and, on the advice of one article, attempted to switch the controller using the small plus sign on the Studio Setup tab. The only alternative which worked at all was Mackie, on which I was even able to assign the record function to one of the instrument category keys. However, I then realised that using this controller was producing unwanted sounds so was forced to abandon this "breakthrough".

One of the reasons I purchased the MX was its reported ease of use with Cubase, so this is all very frustrating. It would certainly save a lot of time to be able to control the functions from the on-board buttons as advertised. I imagine I'm missing a vital setting - can anyone here help please! (There, told you I was a noob :P)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Re: MX88 as Cubase controller

Unread post by parametric »

Hi SiFi1960 and welcome to the Forums . . . .

Do NOT be concerned over "Newbie questions". However MUCH we individually (or collectively) profess to know . . .

We were all Newbies once - so we remember the puzzlement WELL . . . :wink:

I use Reaper, rather than Cubase, but feel your problem may have to do with the midi setup . . . .

The DAW (Cubase) needs to be set to understand midi control messages AS WELL and basic midi data (note-on, note-off etc).

In Reaper, this is offered as separate check boxes . . . . Midi, or midi+control changes . . . . .

Look and see if this arrangement exists in Cubase . . . . . The transport keys and Play, Record etc are done by CC#, so the midi

must be set up to recognise these . . .

Hope That Helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

SiFi1960
Location.: UK

Unread post by SiFi1960 »

Thanks parametric, I'll have a look at that and report back.

Sausagefingers

Unread post by Sausagefingers »

IN my struggles to link the MX to Cubase (I have only just returned to synths after a 30 year absence - things have changed massively!) - I came across a video with a guy from Yamaha who says with the Midi cable connected, press the "Utility" button, then the "Job" button on the MX which will then give you the "Quick Setup" menu on the lcd screen. Press "Enter" and the screen will say "Standalone", then you turn the thumbwheel and select "DAW Rec" and press enter, and you should be good to go.

My struggle has been, and continues to be that virtually all the videos give instructions for Cubase version 9, while the bundle is now version 10.5 and lots of the GUI has changed. I have poked around and managed to get midi input to the DAW, and found out how to access and play the VST synths in Cubase. NExt will be to be aqble to record Midi input, then maybe do say audio input via the audio interface. Its a long, slow job, and no doubt I will finally succeed one dyabefore all the Version 10.5 Cubase vidoes come out!

mariosils32
Location.: Australia

Unread post by mariosils32 »

Thank you man ((i)) belive it or not I was looking for a case like this because my pc is running a seo linux version and I supose this was the problem but it seems is not at all OS problems. Anyway thanks