MX49 bank select issues

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

lenny long

MX49 bank select issues

Unread post by lenny long »

using Cubase 5 on a Windows 7 laptop, USB to MX 49. There is also MU50 tone module in system, which receives all MIDI commands without issue ( CC0 switches banks, program change commands switch the voices ). MX49 program numbers don't match what Cubase is sending, banks change only when CC0 value is 0,1, 64, or 127, and only switch between GTR, KB, and DR banks. an example of what info needs to be entered at the beginning of each track would be soooo helpful. Thanks in advance

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: MX49 bank select issues

Unread post by parametric »

Perhaps you need an instrument definition file for Cubase?

Take a look here: http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/mus ... 0590/8524/

Perhaps this helps?

Welcome to the Forums BTW . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
lenny long

thanks for your response - had a screenchat with yamaha yesterday and they sent the same link and I installed it per instructions. that seems to be applicable in the initial track setup on the left side of the screen. I'm trying to change patches during the track playback, sending CC and Program Change commands. my MU50 changes patches without issue over MIDI, all numbers match. the MX49 is connected by USB, Program Change commands are being received but nothing matches, and bank select (according to the manual on CC0 and/CC32) doesn't change banks except at value 64 and 127, and only allows access to 3 banks - GTR, KB, and DR. And, the patches appear out of order and aren't even in the same order when scrolling up and then down. there must be a set of commands that tames this uncooperative creature. thanks in advance, and thanks for welcoming me to the group.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I would have HOPED that once Cubase understands the architecture of the MX49 (via the instrument definition file) that all would be well . . . .

Do check that the Yamaha/Steinberg driver is the latest and correct for your OS (and perhaps Cubase Version?).

Yamaha Drivers are famously difficult to install - and are fussy about the ORDER things are done.

If THAT is not correct - results may be unexpected . . .

If you DON'T have the REFERENCE Manual - that may help . . . .

mx49mx61_en_rm_a0.pdf

Look at page 22 for a detailed how-to with Cubase . . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

How are you sending the patch changes during the track? Are you manually inserting them into the track's automation lane, or some other way? The reason I ask is that if you're inserting them manually then you most likely need to be sure to reduce the Program Change value that Yamaha lists by 1, because Yamaha generally uses Program Change values of 1 - 128 in their Data Lists, whereas the actual MIDI data needs to be values of 0 - 127. [EDIT: When I say "you most likely need to" I mean that Yamaha most likely has added 1 to them in their Data List, not that you most likely are entering the wrong value and need to correct it.] For instance, Yamaha might list an Acoustic Grand Piano voice as MSB something, LSB something, PC 1. The MSB and LSB values can be entered as listed, because Yamaha uses values of 0 - 127 for those parameters. But the PC value would need to be entered as 0, or 1 minus 1. Likewise, if a PC of 100 were listed, you'd need to enter it as 99, or 100 minus 1.

Another possible issue might be the mode you're in on the MX. Mind you, I've never owned or used an MX (although I'm wanting one for Christmas), so I'm not sure how everything works. But I think that if you're in Performance mode then you can only choose Performance setups via MIDI. If you want to be able to select any voice via then I think you might need to be in Song mode or something like that. Someone who's familiar with the MX and other Yamaha synths (MOXF, MOX, MO, etc.) should be able to confirm or refute this.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
lenny long

checked the driver - latest and best

in "part select mode" - I see patches change when sending prog chng #s, but they aren't the same #s

manually writing text - CC0 #s and Prog Chng #s - in the list view window.

the patch #s aren't off by 1, they are random and unpredictable. I think it is the correct LSB and MSB commands that I need, just need an example of what the command string is to make bank and patch changes predictable and repeatable

page 22 checked. changed to DAW. still not responding like it should.
prog ch #1 gets me str 003, #2 gets str 004, #3 gets str005 - at pc#21 it jumps to str 043, skips all around, patches not in order, changing "bank select #" changes random order of patches. sometimes

Cubase 5 doesn't show the voice list - maybe because the MX49 is not functioning as my "soundcard"?

page 23 says "Confirm that ASIO Driver is set to “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” or “Yamaha MX49/MX61”

I'm not using the MX49 for my audio interface, that job is being handled by a Focusrite Scarlett

I need the MX49 to function ONLY as a tone module with a keyboard attached, really. I wanna play the ch1 patch live and use ch 2 thru 16 for sequencer played voices.

In another thread there was a mention of initializing with GM or XG voices - if it was setup GM that would explain why it skips patches - I have tried to find reference to that in the menus, but no luck - any possible help there?
Thanks again for your time and effort

Sbuettler
Location.: United States

Unread post by Sbuettler »

Hey, I'm having the same problem right now with my MX49; except my driver is my keyboard. Were you ever able to resolve this issue?