MX88 - Making FC Pedal Regulate Rotator Speed

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

RHall
United States of America

MX88 - Making FC Pedal Regulate Rotator Speed

Unread post by RHall » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

yamaha_mx88.png
Yamaha MX88
Hello, all . . .

I know there's got to be a way to do this: I have split the keyboard in one of my performance settings, with a bass assigned to my lower left-hand area and keys / other available in the mid - upper part of the keyboard.

How can I assign the Yamaha Foot Controller (FC 7) to control the slow / fast quasi 'Leslie' effect on just the upper (non-bass) when an organ is selected without it affecting the bass portion?

Any help would me much, much appreciated.

Thanks!

New MX88 owner, RHall
KatieB
United States of America

Re: MX88 - Making FC Pedal Regulate Rotator Speed

Unread post by KatieB » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:13 pm

I also would like an answer to this. I play a split keyboard - bass on the left and many sounds including organ on the right. I really don't have a hand free to manipulate the wheel to get rotor effect on the organs and would like to use my FC 7 foot pedal for that.
Thanks, Katie
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:49 am

I could not see anything in the manual but would it not be in the voice edit? Select the right hand voice and then edit the parameters assigned to it?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 pm

"How can I assign the Yamaha Foot Controller (FC 7) to control the slow / fast quasi 'Leslie' effect on just the upper (non-bass)
when an organ is selected without it affecting the bass portion?"

A simple question...with a simple solution? :twisted: :evil: The answer is NO! Sorry!

I don´t think it is possible - with split voices, to apply the leslie effect specifically to one voice - with the Yamaha FC 7 ! pedal.
I would say that out of the feeling anyway. Impossible to do that.
I didn´t find not a single example, video, demo - google,youtube etc. - just nothing! on this topic.
That tells me: it's a very specific question ... for a music store. And also: It won´t work ... with the FC 7 pedal!

I suggest: Call a music shop to ask exactly this question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7 pdf

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/fi ... et_id=3782

Expression/Volume Pedal - Yamaha FC7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUcWJPKXis

Volume Pedal vs. Expression Pedal — Your Questions Answered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcc8scMQIrE

leslie pedal keyboard split (google)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... oard+split
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have often failed on these simple questions. Almost always I got the simple answer: "No! Does not work!"
I hope I'm wrong ... and it works. But I´m sure it doesn´t work with the FC 7 pedal...the way you want it.
I am - pretty sure - to assume that the FC 7 pedal affects the entire keyboard. And does not separate effects control on certain keyboard areas.

Good luck!

News: Program FC7 pedal to Control Rotary-Leslie Fast/Slow Effect.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/mus ... /705/8084/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask YAMAHA !

https://usa.yamaha.com/

Scroll down ... find SUPPORT ... Contact us !

My idea: Split : Voice 1 Bass = ( Voice EDIT) All effects OFF! ,,,,,,,,,,, Voice 2 = FC7 pedal to Control Rotary-Leslie Fast/Slow Effect
skin
Czech Republic

Unread post by skin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Controller Set Destination in MX DataList says:
CC1-16 allows to set Insertion Effect A parameter 1-16.
Effect Parameter List for Rotary Speaker effect says:
No. of parameter = 16 | Speed Control Slow, Fast | value (0 – 1).
MW does switch Leslie speed in Preset voices/performances, so, it must be adjustable/editable for any Foot controller as well, when you play the voice with Leslie effect on. I'm not sure it's available to do without software editor, onboard voice editing is limited, but as answer for your question: Switching Leslie speed IS possible to do on MX with FC7(or any other foot controller). With software voice editor (cost 20EUR w/out VAT). And, naturally, it's possible to do it separately for both split voices, you only have to switch left hand/split voice response to Foot controller to off, which is, actually possible even without editor. Just set FC7(which should be common as CC04=FC as modulation source for effect parameter 16 with voice editor. :)
...regarding effect parameter list you can even switch any speed(of rotor or horn separately) and set their response to FC different way - you have (16?) controller sets for this - it's really fully programmable with Voice editor as much as in Motif XS.
I'd go for speed switch with just Foot switch and leave Foot controller for another parameter tweaking, like drive for example (which, again, is adjustable). But, of course, do as it fits your needs...
Tdhowland
Canada

Unread post by Tdhowland » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Got it. Utility/controller/. Change fc1=11 to fc1=01. The expression pedal will now control the mod wheel. Then select the bass part and hit edit/02:part/04:receive switch/mw=off.

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”