Installing Gotek USB Floppy Emulator Drive in Yamaha V50

User repairs of various equipment. Guides, tips and tutorials.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

mgregory22

Installing Gotek USB Floppy Emulator Drive in Yamaha V50

Unread post by mgregory22 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:13 am

Well, I did it! It's working for the most part. I thought I would do a full report here. I was inspired by the SY85 thread here: viewtopic.php?t=5716.

I got a Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL USB Floppy Emulator drive from Amazon (link: http://www.amazon.com/SFRM72-FU-DL-Flop ... B00C4PTOJM). It was US $42.

I also needed an adapter because the original Mitsumi drive in the V50 does not use a standard 34-pin floppy interface, but a 26-pin interface. I was going to make my own, but I wasn't sure how to figure out how all the pins connect together and I got scared and ordered one off of Ebay for $34: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-V-50-V50 ... 945531784?, but it works perfectly.

I found Yamaha V50 service manual online on this weird site that I kind of had to hack the Javascript it to get the link to the file. The service manual was handy when taking the V50 apart. If there's a file area here, I'd be happy to upload it.

I got the drive installed, put everything back together and switched on the keyboard, and it would light up, but I couldn't get it to do anything. Whenever I tried a disk operation on the V50, it would just lock up and I would have to power cycle it. It turns out you need to adjust the jumpers on the drive before you install it. So, I had to do almost the entire disassembly procedure over again because you can't access the jumpers when the drive is installed. Anyway, you want the S1 jumper connected, but I have all the others disconnected. I am having a problem saving things in "file mode" and I don't know if connecting some other jumper would help with that. The documentation for the drive is really bad and doesn't really say enough about what the different jumpers do.

So I got the drive working in "image mode". Image mode uses raw floppy disk images to save and load files, which is not as convenient as file mode, but at least I can save and load stuff. I have some old floppy disk images that I saved before I threw away my V50 floppies, and I just copied them over to the thumb drive and they worked, so that's pretty awesome. It's just like old times!

Well, I hope that helps anyone who wants to try this. The Yamaha V50 is a pretty awesome, underrated FM keyboard. If you're not going to use the on-board sequencer and drum machine, it's probably not going to be worth the effort and cost to put this drive in there, because all the voices and performances are saved when you power it off. But all the sequences and user drum patterns are lost, and in my experience the V50 is prone to locking up sometimes, so it's handy to be able to save often. Unfortunately, it doesn't save any faster with the USB emulator drive, so it takes about 10-20 seconds to save everything, so that can interfere with your workflow. Anyway, enough rambling. <->
User avatar United States of America
jnreissiger

Re: Installing Gotek USB Floppy Emulator Drive in Yamaha V50

Unread post by jnreissiger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi , i have a V50 synth and replacing the floppy with a emulator and what items do i need to complete the job???
Thanks
John Reissiger

Return to “User Repair Projects”