Disk unformatted error with floppy emulator in yamaha sy85

User repairs of various equipment. Guides, tips and tutorials.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Kevin1659

Disk unformatted error with floppy emulator in yamaha sy85

Unread post by Kevin1659 »

:/: Hello I bought a sy85 a months ago and the floppy drive wasn't working so I been going through the nightmare of replacing it with a floppy emulator and after luckily finding an adaptor through a link in old threads from here I found one that finally powered on my emulator. The problem I'm having now though is when I put the usb stick in and go to utility I just get error disk unformatted messages. So I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance to fixing this problem with the sy85?

Kevin1659

Re: Disk unformatted error with floppy emulator in yamaha sy85

I've tried clicking on my sub stick on my laptop going to format and formatted it to FAT32 my emulator didn't come with and disks or anything so is there another step I'm missing out on?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

I think the emulator would have it's own software which you use to format the usb stick...or it should have it's own software. Have you been to the manufacturers website to see if they have a download?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Saul is correct. You should use the SW that came with the drive - or obtain it from the supplier.

In WINDOWS, to format FLOPPIES at the command line . . .

FORMAT A: /FS:FAT /T:80 /N:9 Remember, the SY85 only used DSDD (720k) Disks.

Where "A:" is the floppy drive you are addressing - if using a usb-floppy, it might not be "A" . . .

Check the Emulator Forum. I have just added a link to a site that sells emulators for MANY Boards

(and cnc Mills, Lathes and other machines).

The prices (to me) seem on the high side of "reasonable" - BUT they do appear to "do the business" . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Kevin1659

I downloaded the software I was able to find for the gotek but the program to make floppies on the USB stick was in what appeared to be chinese. I later found a similar program on this site in English https://www.philscomputerlab.com/gotek- ... lator.html# I formatted my USB to 720k and inserted data to floppies 1-4. Then I powered on my yamaha, put the USB stick in, put it on floppy one, went to utility/disk and it still was saying disk unformatted. Then i went to utility/menu and went right to format, clicked yes and it stopped saying disk unformatted and started showing how much free space is on the disk but when I go to load it said something along the lines of no files found. I've never worked much with floppies so this is all pretty new to me I use a Windows 10 and read some about formatting with windows XP. Can that or the emulator be the problem or is it most likely still just needing to be formatted right?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Well you are certainly right in that Windows 10 was definitely not designed for dealing with floppies, although of course it can be done.

So have you tried formatting on the emulator then putting the usb stick into your PC, copying files to it and then inserting back into the emulator? Does it still show empty or unformatted?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc »

It all depends on the version of the emulator he has.

If it is the original version with the 3-digit LED display (that I posted about a few years back) he needs no software. You simply format the USB drive in FAT on a Win PC and then create folders on it. The folders must be labeled "001", "002" etc. The order can be anything. Folder "000" should not exist because it is the top one as far as the firmware is concerned. Then you copy files in those folders (making sure to not pass over 720 KB or so on each folder) you insert the drive in the emulator and start browsing normally.

If on the other hand he has a version with anything but the original firmware he is in trouble. As DrSynth mentioned in another thread things started to get out of control when one Chinese manufacturer stole/copied the firmware from another and they altered it for whatever reason. Then you need software or you may have to flash the emulator and who knows what other steps are required.

If the emulator is the one with the 2-digit LED screen you need software and things get complicated. We have old threads here with information about the two different but original emulator versions.

DrF

Yamaha: Motif XF6, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, MFC10, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G
Korg: MicroArranger, MicroKorg S
Behringer: DeepMind 12, DeepMind 12D
Roland: Integra-7
Controllers: Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, Novation 25SL Mk2
NI: Maschine 2
... and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc. I wish I had the time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
Kevin1659

I tried making the 001 folder on the USB with a factory set file in it and that resulted in the same disk unformatted message when I go to utility/menu/ format on my sy85 though as it's going through the formatting process the LED on the emulator is flashing so i dont know if i got one of those models where it got changed up.
If I start up the sy85 with the two buttons presses down on the emulator it will display "126" "F01" "U01" and random digits between then ends up in a "126" "000" "F01" loop on the emulator display.

fsatark

Unread post by fsatark »

Did you finally found a solution?
I get the same message and I can't use my emulator...

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I dimly recall from Way back, that when you have one of these Emulators installed, that you can no longer use the

SY's <Format> option in the Utility Menu to format the "disks" on the pendrive.

You HAVE to use the SW for the PC that came with the emulator . . . ?

Is this STILL the case?

parametric

I repaired my floppy drive rather than use one of these on my SY85 . . . . .

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris