Yamaha AG06 - balanced and unbalanced inputs

AG is a multi-purpose, high-resolution mixer and USB audio interface designed to elevate the creative, audio experience for webcasters / podcasters, gamers, mobile musicians, music producers and more. This section is also for Yamaha's MG series of mixers.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Sweden
samplehead

Yamaha AG06 - balanced and unbalanced inputs

Unread post by samplehead » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi,

After recording some audio tracks from my genos keyboard to the AG06, I noticed some high pitched noise on the recording, that is probably the reusult of a ground looking issue.
Someone suggest I should try a DI-Box between the keyboard and the mixer and there is a cheap Behringer device - hum destroyer - that I'm thinking of trying.
However, the output of the hum destroyer is balanced and the stereo line inputs on the AG06 is unbalanced according to the manual, so I'm bit unsure if I should use unbalanced or balanced cables between the behringer and the AG06.
Anyone knows?

Thanks
/Jugge
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha AG06 - balanced and unbalanced inputs

Unread post by parametric » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:36 am

Hi samplehead - and welcome to the forums . . . . (Y)

Are you sure the Genos does NOT have balanced outs (TRS) :?:

AT THAT Price point, it should have . . . . . :oops:

Balancing Boxes are traditionally used to allow unbalance sources to "play nicely" with balanced systems.

A typical use, is to allow "visiting" Synths to connect in a recording Studio (Which will be a 100% balanced system).

The balanced OUTS of your Hum reducer should be connected to the COMBO sockets on the AG06 (and LINE selected) . . .

So you will need a pair of TRS-male to TRS-male leads to do that.

In the event that the Genos IS balanced out, then you should just connect directly from the Genos to the AN06, using THOSE leads

to the COMBO sockets described above. In this case, the Hum-reducer should NOT be necessary . . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Sweden
samplehead

Unread post by samplehead » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:02 pm

parametric wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:36 am
Hi samplehead - and welcome to the forums . . . . (Y)

Are you sure the Genos does NOT have balanced outs (TRS) :?:

AT THAT Price point, it should have . . . . . :oops:

Balancing Boxes are traditionally used to allow unbalance sources to "play nicely" with balanced systems.

A typical use, is to allow "visiting" Synths to connect in a recording Studio (Which will be a 100% balanced system).

The balanced OUTS of your Hum reducer should be connected to the COMBO sockets on the AG06 (and LINE selected) . . .

So you will need a pair of TRS-male to TRS-male leads to do that.

In the event that the Genos IS balanced out, then you should just connect directly from the Genos to the AN06, using THOSE leads

to the COMBO sockets described above. In this case, the Hum-reducer should NOT be necessary . . . .

ATB

parametric
Thank's for answer. Yes, unfortunately Genos is using unbalanced TS jacks according to the manual :( It have a S/PDIF coaxial output as well, but that will not help as the AG06 is missing that.

I did some tests yesterday, trying to determine if the noise is caused by a ground loop. I moved Genos and the AG06 to a laptop and disconnected it's power and just run it on just battery.
I got the same high pitch noise when increasing the input level on the AG06 stereo line inputs, so I don't think it's a ground loop issues and then the hum destroyer will not help anyway.
When connecting a microphone directly to the AG06 with XLR, I don't hear any noise even with highest input level, so I think the issue is either with the genos outputs or the AG06's line inputs.

I also tried to connect Genos to the combi jack of AG06, but that sounded muffled and not clear like when I used the line inputs.

I have attached a small MP3 recording of the noise I hear. Do you think that this is something you think is normal when using analog cables? I have added some extra gain so you can hear it better. It doesn't sound this bad in real life.
Attachments
noise.mp3
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:41 am

Have you had the Genos long?

Do you get the same noise through Headphones?

If headphone O/P is clean, then you could get a Stereo-TRS Jack - to TWO TS-Jacks and plug those to your mixer . . .

BUT, that's a fudge and you shouldn't have to be doing THAT!

IMO you should not be having this problem with an expensive flagship board . . . .

Here in the UK, Yamaha are often happy to help, despite being out of warranty . . . . Check that out . . .

Perhaps even take BOTH to a service centre - I would expect that Yamaha kit should work together flawlessly . . . .

The Genos TS outputs should just simply plug into to Line inputs of the AG06, (not even the combo sockets) and work fine . . . .

If they cannot help, then the Behringer Box should sort it out . . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Sweden
samplehead

Unread post by samplehead » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks again for your help Parametric,

I have decided to try with a Zoom U-44 audio interface as it have S/PDIF jacks as well. I will however try recording with analogue cables when I get the Zoom and see if the noise is present there as well. If I still can hear it there, I might take the Genos to a service center.

To answer your questions.
I had it for about 4 months but I bought it used. The previous owner only had it for 3 months, so it's still under warranty.

When connecting the headphones directly to genos it's absolutely quiet even with highest volume. The noise is only heard when using the headphone jack on the AG06.

Anyway, I found out that if I decrease the line gain on the AG06 and set it to only half and instead increase the genos master volume to max, I am able to get rid of most of the noise while still getting a good level for recording.

Best regards
/Jugge

Return to “Yamaha Mixers Forum - AG/MG Mixer Range”