Noise with Windows 10 MG-XU Driver [SOLVED]

AG is a multi-purpose, high-resolution mixer and USB audio interface designed to elevate the creative, audio experience for webcasters / podcasters, gamers, mobile musicians, music producers and more. This section is also for Yamaha's MG series of mixers.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

fmouse
Location.: Texas, USA

Noise with Windows 10 MG-XU Driver [SOLVED]

Unread post by fmouse »

I'm having an odd problem with sound output from a Dell Latitude E6530 running Windows 10 to a Yamaha MG10XU via USB. I have not installed any additional drivers, but it looks as if this is a Windows driver problem. Any help will be appreciated!

Windows 10 has no problem recognizing the MG10XU when it's plugged in and sets up both input and output using the MG-XU driver (provided with Windows), which mostly works OK. The NOT OK part occurs in every program which outputs sound from the Dell to the board. At about 1 minute, 45 seconds into the playback the sound breaks up badly for a few seconds and then returns to normal. This occurs again a couple of minutes later. The timing of this indicates that it isn't a buffer overflow, since I can pause the playback and the breakup still happens at the same real-time interval after starting playback of the sound file, i.e. earlier in the played-back sound file. This happens with ANY sound source, from the web, an MP3, a DAW playback, etc.

I have a Behringer mixer with USB output which has no problem on this computer (different driver). I have a Linux computer which connects to the MG10XU via USB and again, no problem.

I'm experienced with electronics, studio engineering, computer operation and configuration, so I've narrowed it down to a driver problem with some certainty, having tried a number of things which I won't list here, all of which point to a driver issue with the MG-XU driver in Windows. Is this a known problem? If so, does Yamaha have a workaround? Maybe a replacement driver?
Last edited by fmouse on Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Noise with Windows 10 MG-XU Driver

Unread post by parametric »

Hi fmouse - and welcome to the forums . . . .

I think you probably need the latest Yamaha/Steinberg USB Driver for the MG-XU for YOUR version of Windows . . .

As soon as the mixer is plugged in - Windows supplies it's own driver in a "Mother knows Best" kind of a way . . . ;)

I think THIS is what you have ATM . . . . . ?

The Y/S drivers are notoriously fussy as to how they are installed. Everything must be done precisely as described

in the instructions - especially relating to WHEN things are plugged-in, or switched on etc . . .

Annoyingly, getting it wrong CAN result in a "partial installation", that mostly works . . . . IYKWIM . . .?

If you need to go round the loop - it's best to go to <Device Manager> and completely remove the Driver and start over . .

Hope that Helps . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
fmouse
Location.: Texas, USA

Re: Noise with Windows 10 MG-XU Driver [SOLVED]

Unread post by fmouse »

Thank you, parametric! I'm actually actually there. I'd looked at the Steinberg driver kit as per the instruction sheet which came with the MG10XU, and determined that it was basically for MIDI extensions, which I didn't want, so I passed it by. After I posted this, I got the YSUSB_V203_Win driver kit and installed it exactly as per the instructions, and had no problem with the install - and voila! - the MG10XU works as expected and the noise is gone. So your advice was spot-on, even if I'd already followed it :D

Your quick response is much appreciated, in any event. Forums like this are frequently the best way to solve problems.

I did note somewhere that the Yamaha Steinberg driver has a buffer adjustment. In the spirit of "if it works, don't fix it", I didn't spend much time looking for it, but in case I need to tweak the install down the road, where's the control(s) for the buffer?

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Noise with Windows 10 MG-XU Driver [SOLVED]

Unread post by parametric »

You're welcome fmouse . . . .

The settings are in the <about> tab . . . .

Steinberg_Yamaha Buffer adjustment.jpg

I don't actually use those drivers - but YEARS of Manual reading has taught me where to look for the answers :lol:

If your concerns are to do with latency in recording with Cakewalk -

THIS video shows how to quantify it and help to alleviate it.

It's actually for Reaper (which I use), but I'm sure the principals are good for any DAW . . . .

perhaps that helps . . . ?

parametric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris