MG10XU mic hookup

AG is a multi-purpose, high-resolution mixer and USB audio interface designed to elevate the creative, audio experience for webcasters / podcasters, gamers, mobile musicians, music producers and more. This section is also for Yamaha's MG series of mixers.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SonicBoom

MG10XU mic hookup

Unread post by SonicBoom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi,

I currently own a Blue Yeti Pro mic...
http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti-pro/

I was looking for USB mixer that will enable me to hook up the microphone using XLR.
The mixer I was looking at is the Yamaha MG10XU.

The Blue Yeti Pro mic has a stereo 5 pin XLR connector with a break-out lead that connects to it, that splits the XLR into a left and right 3 pin XLR (XLR adapter 5pin XLR Female to 2 x male 3 pin XLR).
What I want to know is, how would this be hooked up to the Yamaha MG10XU?
The mic requires phantom power.

thanks
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MG10XU mic hookup

Unread post by parametric » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi Sonic

Not familiar with either the Mike or the Mixer, but . . .

That Mike looks to be a nice piece of kit with all those configurations available. Should be able to handle recording of any instrument you can think of, AND make a decent job of it . . . .
Be interested to hear your opinion of its performance . . . .

The cabling arrangement is similar to other stereo mics that offer XLR, with the split to TWO XLRs.

These are conveniently extended if need be, with standard M-F balanced Mic cables.

Probably good at this point, to select the characteristic you want - Cardioid, ommni, figure of eight etc . .

The Male L and R XLRs simply plug into the first Two channels of the Mixer - which I see is fitted with Combo sockets on 1 - 4 these allowing XLR or TRS balanced connection.

Make sure mixer levels are down* BEFORE you switch the phantom power ON. It takes a few seconds to charge the mic's capacitors - this is normal (You'll get NO level if it is off . . . .)

(*Levels down to prevent a PLOP when the phantom power kicks in)

That should be it . . . just needing to adjust faders to get a good level that doesn't go over 0Vu . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha Mixers Forum - AG/MG Mixer Range”