MG10XU mic hookup

AG is a multi-purpose, high-resolution mixer and USB audio interface designed to elevate the creative, audio experience for webcasters / podcasters, gamers, mobile musicians, music producers and more. This section is also for Yamaha's MG series of mixers.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SonicBoom

MG10XU mic hookup

Unread post by SonicBoom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi,

I currently own a Blue Yeti Pro mic...
http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti-pro/

I was looking for USB mixer that will enable me to hook up the microphone using XLR.
The mixer I was looking at is the Yamaha MG10XU.

The Blue Yeti Pro mic has a stereo 5 pin XLR connector with a break-out lead that connects to it, that splits the XLR into a left and right 3 pin XLR (XLR adapter 5pin XLR Female to 2 x male 3 pin XLR).
What I want to know is, how would this be hooked up to the Yamaha MG10XU?
The mic requires phantom power.

thanks
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: MG10XU mic hookup

Unread post by parametric » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi Sonic

Not familiar with either the Mike or the Mixer, but . . .

That Mike looks to be a nice piece of kit with all those configurations available. Should be able to handle recording of any instrument you can think of, AND make a decent job of it . . . .
Be interested to hear your opinion of its performance . . . .

The cabling arrangement is similar to other stereo mics that offer XLR, with the split to TWO XLRs.

These are conveniently extended if need be, with standard M-F balanced Mic cables.

Probably good at this point, to select the characteristic you want - Cardioid, ommni, figure of eight etc . .

The Male L and R XLRs simply plug into the first Two channels of the Mixer - which I see is fitted with Combo sockets on 1 - 4 these allowing XLR or TRS balanced connection.

Make sure mixer levels are down* BEFORE you switch the phantom power ON. It takes a few seconds to charge the mic's capacitors - this is normal (You'll get NO level if it is off . . . .)

(*Levels down to prevent a PLOP when the phantom power kicks in)

That should be it . . . just needing to adjust faders to get a good level that doesn't go over 0Vu . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha Mixers Forum - AG/MG Mixer Range”