Montage - Maximum Output before Distortion

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

vertig0spin
Canada

Montage - Maximum Output before Distortion

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 pm

There was a side topic discussed in the MODX Forum, and I am hoping someone that owns a Montage can answer this more definitively for me. See the side conversation at the bottom &/or read the MODX Forum posts from this link:
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11830&start=105#p72544

Based off that side conversation, my basic question is:
1 - If half the sounds that are playing (i.e. all the sequenced stuff) are routed through the additional outputs of the Montage & not through the main L/R outputs(whereby only non-sequenced sounds that you play on the keyboard at a gig, go through the main L/R outputs), does this still all count against the total output governed by the dB tool, whereby it could potentially be driven into distortion/clipping? Or does the dB tool govern the additional outputs differently than the main L/R and they are basically two separate output streams that allow for more total output volume without distortion/clipping..!?

Additional question:
2 - Is there a global limiter or loudness maximizer effect that can be applied on everything & potentially stop any clipping/distortion before the sound goes to the output ports?

________________MODX Forum discussion posts__________________

"GADoug60 wrote:
Increase the gain to a pro level output. The output gain is too low. BEEF IT UP!!"

"Stevie18 wrote:
There is a software option for doing that. In Utilities -> Audio I/O set the output level to +6db or more. That should do it."

"pax-eterna wrote:
You gotta be careful with that though. I noticed quite a few performances, particularly when more than one is sounding, of the outs getting driven into distortion."

"vertig0spin wrote:
Could this possibly be less of an issue on the Montage if half the sounds or maybe just the sequenced stuff is routed through the additional outputs & not the main L/R outputs..!?"

"pax-eterna wrote:
Possibly but I doubt it, unless the additional outs of the Montage are not governed by the dB tool."
vertig0spin
Canada

Re: Montage - Maximum Output before Distortion

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Turns out that sending half the parts (1-8) in a Performance to the "Main L&R" output and the other half of the parts (9-16) to the "Assign L&R" output would in fact be two completely separate output streams that would not touch at any point at either a software or hardware level. So sending all the sequenced tracks using parts 9-16, would help allow you to avoid software clipping/distortion, because you potentially only have max. 8 parts sounding at once instead of potentially 16! So, for my purposes, this is another reason why it's better that I go with the Montage instead of the MODX for max volume/headroom at live gigs!

The limit that could most easily be hit/clip/distort is at the software/metering level. It's far more likely it will clip there than at the DA converter or the analogue output/pre-amp stage.

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”