New Montage user - I have some questions regarding user memory, favorites, etc.

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
quantum7

New Montage user - I have some questions regarding user memory, favorites, etc.

Unread post by quantum7 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:10 am

I am absolutely LOVING my shiny new white Montage 7, but have some questions.

1. Is there a way to back everything up so that all my marked "favorites" wouldn't be lost? It took me many hours to go through all the categorized presets where I marked my favorites, so it would be a bummer to loose that if something ever happened.

2. Another question regarding the favorites section- to the right of the "set / unset" box there is the "clear all" box. If I accidentally pressed that, would that clear ALL my favorite "set" settings? I sure hope not!

3. I bought a great patch-set, the Montage FM-Xperience and have it loaded into user memory. If I load another patch-set in the future will it overwrite the FM-Xperience, hence delete my favorites "set" settings once I load the FM-Xperience again?

4. Last question- Should I perhaps buy an editor to make all of this easier?

Thanks for helping me with all of this. :)

Sean
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Montage user - I have some questions regarding user memory, favorites, etc.

Unread post by Derek » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Hello and welcome from a black Montage 7 owner. :)
quantum7 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:10 am
I am absolutely LOVING my shiny new white Montage 7, but have some questions.
It's a great and versatile board
quantum7 wrote:
1. Is there a way to back everything up so that all my marked "favorites" wouldn't be lost? It took me many hours to go through all the categorized presets where I marked my favorites, so it would be a bummer to loose that if something ever happened.
Yes. You need to do a backup. Get a USB Flash (thumb) Drive (and also a copy of the manual :) and go into UTILITY and follow the procedure on Page 53 to save your user data (set lists as well).

X7U is your user performance data. X7A is everything (including libraries), so a total backup.

Data does not exist unless it is at least three places ;) so as well as FLASH drive. also copy it to a directory on your computer.
quantum7 wrote:
2. Another question regarding the favorites section- to the right of the "set / unset" box there is the "clear all" box. If I accidentally pressed that, would that clear ALL my favorite "set" settings? I sure hope not!
I don't know the answer to this one as I don't use favourites much.You can save off your performance data to a FLASH drive and see what CLEAR ALL does, but the name itself implies what it will most likely do!
quantum7 wrote:
3. I bought a great patch-set, the Montage FM-Xperience and have it loaded into user memory. If I load another patch-set in the future will it overwrite the FM-Xperience, hence delete my favorites "set" settings once I load the FM-Xperience again?
Yes, loading another bank into user memory will overwrite what you have. But if you save off your user data, rename the file from FILE.X7U to FILE.X7L (where FILE is your filename) you can load that file as a library file into one of 8 library banks, which frees up your user performance memory for new things.
quantum7 wrote:
4. Last question- Should I perhaps buy an editor to make all of this easier?
At some point such an editor will be useful when you want to organise lots of things. For now John Melas Montage Tools are probably the only ones I am aware of.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”