Convert .x8b for Montage?

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Kier
Location.: UK

Convert .x8b for Montage?

Unread post by Kier »

Does a tool exist to convert a MODX Connect file (.x8b) to Montage Connect format (.x7b)?

FWIW, I have tried just renaming it from .x8b to .x7b and while it shows up as a loadable file in Montage Connect, it can not be read correctly and throws an error.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Sweden

VIP

Re: Convert .x8b for Montage?

Unread post by Macke »

Kier wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm Does a tool exist to convert a MODX Connect file (.x8b) to Montage Connect format (.x7b)?

FWIW, I have tried just renaming it from .x8b to .x7b and while it shows up as a loadable file in Montage Connect, it can not be read correctly and throws an error.
Hi Kier,

I believe they are not directly compatible as the files have different version numbers depending on which OS version and actual instrument you have (Montage/MODX). The board checks this and will throw an error if the version does not match your actual board.

You should be able to easily see the file version if you open it in a text viewer and look at the start of the file. A .x8b file from a MODX OS 2.50 has version 5.0.0 as seen in example below
YAMAHA-YSFC.....5.0.0...............
Disclamer: The method below is untested and I take no responsibility for the outcome.
As it's "only" sysex I would test it anyway.

You could try and open a .x7b file created on your Montage and have a look at the corresponding number. I believe it should be something like 4.0.3 (or at least 4.0.#) for the Montage. The version stepping is needed if bigger changes have been introduced in some OS update.

Next step you can try is to use a hex editor to swap/replace the version number in the .x8b to the one found in the .x7b file and save as a new .x8b file. Take a backup of the .x8b file before trying this.

Note: That since Montage OS 3.5 you are now able to also load .x8l library files from the MODX into your Montage!

Let us know if you decide to try the solution above and if it is working for you.

Good luck!