Record external source on Montage!

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
BSR

Record external source on Montage!

Unread post by BSR » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

OK guys, I'm not a good drumer, it is possible to record MIDI from Genos on Montage or mp3 drum track and mix with song created on Montage?
Or to play my octave mandolin, guitar, trumpet, etc on audio track on Montage? Thank you for any information!
I' my thinking to replace my Motif XS with Montage and I'd like to do some research before!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Record external source on Montage!

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 am

As far as I know you cannot record audio directly on the Montage. What you need to do is use a USB stick plugged into Montage and then plug your instrument or other audio source (MP3) into the AD input on the keyboard and THEN you can record your audio along with everything else, out to the USB. It is really the same as recording internally but you are feeding it through to an external device.

I have not tried recording MIDI from another keyboard into Montage so can't say for sure if that is something that would work although I can't see why it would not.

Note that I have not had a Montage for around 12 months and am currently using the MODX.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 am
I have not tried recording MIDI from another keyboard into Montage so can't say for sure if that is something that would work although I can't see why it would not.
As far as I know, you cannot record MIDI messages that are coming from an external source-- at least, I'm pretty sure you can't do that on any of the arrangers, and I'm assuming that the same is true on the synthesizers.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 am

Actually, now that I think about it, the PSR-S and higher arranger models might be able to record external MIDI, as long as you assign the incoming MIDI channel to one of the keyboard parts. But as far as I've heard, the MODX doesn't have MIDI setup options for assigning the MIDI channels.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
BSR

Unread post by BSR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:54 am

On Motif XS, I did record via MIDI cable from Tyros 2 (arranger) to 16 track Sequencer and Pattern 16 track recorder in syncronized way; soon I start to play on Tyros, automaticly start to record on MO XS without pushing any button on XS! Also the recording stop on XS soon as I hit stop on Tyros!
Is this possible to do the same on Montage? Thank you!

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”