running sample from viny>montage>apollo>ableton?

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Artcutech

running sample from viny>montage>apollo>ableton?

Unread post by Artcutech » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am

So I’d been thinking about buying a montage until I heard it didn’t have a sampler like the motif but just could load samples. The only thing I want as far as the sampler is the saturation it gives.

I really like the montage and think I might have a workaround depending on what you guys have experienced, I’m thinking I can just run the audio through it before it hits the Apollo and this might give it that saturation that it use to with the motif sampler? Will running the audio from my turntable mixer through the montage into the Apollo give me that type of sound you think? After recording the wav i can load it back into the montage or use a plug-in if the playback sounds the same depending on how much a difference the playback on the montage loading the sample would be in comparison

I think I might have a Black Friday deal for a Montage 6 and modx(a Christmas gift for somebody) for 3grand. Of course I won’t just be using the montage for sampling through, everything else as well the thing is amazing, but the sampling saturation is a sticking point for me
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: running sample from viny>montage>apollo>ableton?

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am

Sounds like a good deal for a Montage 6 and a MODX :)

I have never really been into sampling, especially on a keyboard although many keyboards I have owned had sampling on-board. The only sample function I did use a lot was the Skipback Sampling on the Roland Fantom series. But in that system the sampling was permanently on and recording everything you played or put through the keyboard, up to a max of 45 seconds though. Still enough for creating a lot of inspiring soundscapes etc. Of course there was full sampling also but I never used that.

As far as sample saturation goes I think you will find excellent results using a computer rather than a keyboard and then load the results into Montage/MODX. Sample Robot would seem to be an ideal tool for you? Also Kontakt 6 or Steinberg Halion which is half the price?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
Artcutech

Unread post by Artcutech » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Saul

I own multiple sampler plug-ins, Omnisphere is the best one and gets the closest but the editing capability is none existent, owned hailon 6 recently but returned it, I have a good amount of sampler plug-ins including Kontakt 6 that can do the same exact thing, and found it was nothing special, nothing as far as any plug-in I've tried can generate a warmth that a hardware sampler can. I owned the first model of the motif in the past and in order to get the type of warmth to sample in my daw nowadays I have to literally treat it with 3 different saturation plug-ins and also recording into my Apollo via unison preamp and still can get only 90% of the way there. There are thousands of producers with the same story, and tons that buy old samplers and still use them because of their circuitry. I mostly always take a sample, set the root note and play it as an instrument, those little artifacts and features become the ultimate layer and played along other instruments provide a sound that is timeless.

I recently upgraded to a powerful computer and it doesn't break a sweat no matter how many instances of whatever I load, but still I find myself a little empty in searching for the type off warmth my samples use to have on the motif.

Also on a side note, the sounds on a motif or a montage sound so much fuller than whatever plug-ins put out, i mean Omnisphere and native instruments get close, if you play back the motif/combos on halon 6 they sound extremely thin and cheap in their driest form, but you playback sound off the motif or montage in their driest form they sound warm and lush and pro, just saying, and sampling into them or other samplers can give it a type of saturation that can be difficult to recreate in a daw, if I do get the montage I will definitely be on here and look forward to skimming old posts and starting new threads :)

thanks for your time
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Would it not be better then to source a used Motif, maybe the XF and also buy a Montage? I'm not sure how well it would work sampling on the Motif and somehow importing those samples into Montage. Difficult, easy? I don't know but if the only way you can get that quality is through hardware perhaps it is the best option?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”