Using Modx with Ableton

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Artcutech

Using Modx with Ableton

Unread post by Artcutech » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 am

yamaha modx and ableton live.png
So I decided to hold off on a montage and just bought a modx for someone I know, it comes tomorrow and I wanted to know if its easy to use with Ableton? I see everything online references cubase, I would like to be able to help this person set it up with logic or Ableton but also be able to use it as a midi controller for everything else in the DAW and also pull from the tracks and sounds on the Modx, is this possible? and is the sound quality the same as if going out and into interface with 1/4 inch jacks as USB cable?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Modx with Ableton

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am

The only reason Cubase keeps being mentioned is because Yamaha own Steinberg so makes sense to promote your own products right?

I don't use Cubase myself. I use Logic Pro and Presonus Studio Artist however I am not doing anything complex, just recording a few tracks here and there.

I think the only issue, if there is one is that currently the MODX does not have a dedicated DAW mode. This is available on Montage since the last firmware update and I am hoping Yamaha will implement the same thing for MODX.

In terms of controlling Ableton I can't say specifically how it would work. I do have Ableton but I would be in the same situation as you in firing it up to see how the two work with each other but maybe I will give it a go just out of my own curiosity. Just got to find where I have put it!
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Artcutech

Unread post by Artcutech » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:21 pm

thank you Saul, I appreciate the time you spend on here answering questions

so I f I can record a few tracks here and there midi or audio, and also use it to control my DAW that should be good, looking at the description it seems to be the case and ableton is really good with midi controllers, i'll update this thread in a week or sooner and see what results I was able to get

btw did you post that pic in my thread, cause it's really cool and gives me some hope like I didn't make a mistake in buying the unit
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:10 pm

I was reading about Ableton earlier and it would appear that it will be able to accommodate the MODX and adapt to it rather than the other way around. Perhaps that is the reason Yamaha didn't add a dedicated DAW mode. Many software packages these days are flexible enough to cater to a wide range of instruments. Still think the MODX needs that DAW button though ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Artcutech

Unread post by Artcutech » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 pm

This is great news,I’m excited to see what can be done!
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:13 pm

One thing about Ableton Live which might present a challenge is that it doesn't handle SysEx natively-- it will strip out any SysEx messages when you import a MIDI file into it or stream MIDI to it from a device. That certainly won't prevent you from sequencing MIDI data from Live to the MODX or using the MODX to control Live's functions, but it will affect other things.

For instance, some Yamaha PSR-S, Tyros, or Genos owners like to use their keyboards' built-in song sequencer to record a song, then import the MIDI song file into their DAWs for further high-level editing, and export it back to their keyboards for playback, or even for converting to WAV or MP3 audio using their keyboards' built-in audio recorder. Yamaha uses SysEx for certain things-- such as, but not limited to, selecting the effects (Reverb Type, Chorus Type, etc.) and setting up their parameters (but not their depths or send levels, which are set by Controller Change channel messages)-- so if you transfer a MIDI song recording from the keyboard to Live and back again you'll lose all of those SysEx messages.

But as long as you're content to record only the channel messages (which make up the bulk of MIDI data, anyway), or sequence only channel messages from Live to the MODX, you'll do fine-- just set the effects and other SysEx-controlled settings on the MODX itself rather than trying to let Live do it.

You can also use the MODX to control and play virtual instruments within Live without any problems, since (as far as I know) virtual instruments don't use SysEx messages for controlling their settings.

Note that Cockos (who make REAPER) have a free MIDI plugin that includes the ability to work with SysEx messages, and you can use that plugin with DAWs which don't handle SysEx natively-- such as Ableton Live, PreSonus Studio, and Acoustica Mixcraft. It won't be the same as working directly with SysEx in the DAW, but it will help.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”