Yamaha Montage 8, Touch Screen Issue

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Israel
Chummy

Yamaha Montage 8, Touch Screen Issue

Unread post by Chummy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello friends I'm new here (Sorry if I had to come with a problem at my 1st post) but I've got a huge problem with my newly acquired MONTAGE 8! this drives me crazy as it's a big issue and hopefully you could help me with your experience XD
Whenever I touch a certain spot on the Montage screen (and note that this ONLY happens when I press my finger at the most left row)
This triggers an action like I pressed at a different location in the screen (more down) as you can clearly see from the video I have attached (please take a look, it is 15 seconds and shows the problem clearly).

I must say I love how the Montage sounds and works, the interface/screen resolution is great (although the screen is definitely sluggish!! bad on Yamaha's part) I gotta say this is a nail in the coffin! I love the board expect that but this is an issue I can't ignore. Note that I still DO have my screen protector on (I don't want to take it off, I like the way it is to protect my screen) and also my hands are completely dry, not wet or oiled and never were when touching the screen .

Link to my google drive file (it's a compressed 1.82mb MP4 file download of the problem video recorded through my phone)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12LJrV5 ... sp=sharing

Would greatly appreciate help!

Thanks guys!! :)

Edit: forgot to mention I am running latest 2.5 version update from Yamaha's website and resetting the keyboard (on/off) didn't solve this
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha Montage 8, Touch Screen Issue

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Hu Chummy, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

So I guess first question is, have you calibrated your touch screen? Go into settings/system/touch panel and it will take you through the process. That "usually" sorts this issue out but let us know if that is not the case?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks Saul, this has done it. I was also told I should remove the screen protector entirely. How does one go about cleaning the touchscreen from accumulation of dust and fingerprints? what's the best/ most recommended way?

I've been doing some research on the Montage and have been reading in this forum a couple of weeks before registering, have been seeing your posts that made me sure of my purchase XD
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Very glad to hear that you managed to sort it Chummy :)

There were no screen protectors on either of the MODX models I received even though both were brand new but adding one myself has not caused any problems at all.

As for cleaning the screen I use a dry microfibre cloth and that does an excellent job. Don't rub too hard of course!

Never use any sort of cleaning solution on the screen, no matter what it claims to be usable for. If for some reason you get any stubborn marks on there just dampen a microfibre cloth with a little plain water...that's "dampen" not wet. You can do the same with computer monitors and flat screen tv's.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Very glad to hear that you managed to sort it Chummy :)

There were no screen protectors on either of the MODX models I received even though both were brand new but adding one myself has not caused any problems at all.

As for cleaning the screen I use a dry microfibre cloth and that does an excellent job. Don't rub too hard of course!

Never use any sort of cleaning solution on the screen, no matter what it claims to be usable for. If for some reason you get any stubborn marks on there just dampen a microfibre cloth with a little plain water...that's "dampen" not wet. You can do the same with computer monitors and flat screen tv's.
Sorry for the late reply friend.

I didn't actually get rid of the screen shield, I think it's way too useful, protects from scratching, fingerprints, spilling of liquid and other objects that would somehow fall over it (although I'm a really careful person, I don't abuse my gear). I removed it and put it back on again, there was probably a huge bubble somewhere... still there are a few small ones but the problem is no more and I don't mind them air pockets because they are really not visible at all when the screen is on... and not a hindrance to operate by touch because I don't feel they're there.

Ah, thanks for the advice on the microfiber cloth, I used that to clean acoustic pianos before in the shop including my own acoustic at my parents', seems the best bet. So far I don't need it but eventually when the screen protector will wane (hopefully not) I will remove it and do as you advise.

How are you enjoying you MODX? It hasn't arrived to my country yet as of a month ago (when I bought the Montage the Yamaha dealer didn't have it but I was aiming for Montage anyway).

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”