Montage8 vs Kronos 88 - The Decision

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Canada
vertig0spin

Re: Montage8 vs Kronos 88 - The Decision

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Derek wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:45 pm
I still don't understand why you want to sample a sampled piano for playing live when the Montage and Kronos have very good pianos which would be good enough for live use? I am not sure many in the audience would notice that you are not using Synthology C7, if you follow me. And would you be able to sample all the nuances in that engine good enough to make it worth the effort?
I play mostly rock songs on piano and for me the Synthogy C7 just sounds/feels right to my ears when I play it. Maybe no one in the audience will notice, but I will. I don't know if it's just me or a musician thing... I think if I am happier when playing this particular piano, it will shine through, and so the audience will be happier in the end, thus hopefully enjoying the performance more overall.

It will come down to your last question about whether or not I will be able to sample all the nuances to make it worth while...I definitely will give it my best shot, but if after trying to make it work, if it doesn't sound right & the sample triggering/nuances are off the mark, then I will likely scrap that idea and try the next best thing...right now that could potentially be the K-Sounds Epic Grand!?

Derek wrote:
the Kronos SGX-2 piano engine (with sympathetic string resonance) is the best sampled piano I have heard and I used it for all of the piano driven tracks in Welsh Floyd. But I now have the option of using Pianoteq of course live with my NUC PC.... I personally prefer modelling to sampling as modelling can take account of nuances that sampling never can. Depending on how good the model is of course.
As I mentioned, I don't want to bring anything extra to gigs besides just the one keyboard, but who knows, maybe after reading about your gig rack setup & if the autosampling doesnt' work good enough, maybe I will change my mind and get a NUC!?

Derek wrote:
I did provide links in my second post above to my guides on the gig rack :) but here they are again for convenience
Gig Rack Guide
Cantabile Guide
Thanks!
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Well, you have all the info and guidance I can provide, now you need to figure what is best for you. Keep us posted. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:20 am

Derek wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm
Well, you have all the info and guidance I can provide, now you need to figure what is best for you. Keep us posted. :)
Thanks to everyone for all their help.
Side question on Polyphony (maybe not for this topic, but...) - If I import Sampled sounds into the Montage,
1. Does each sampled sound take up 1 'part' in a performance? Or can several different sampled sounds be added to various keys in a single 'part'?
2. How does an imported sample count against polyphony?

Thanks,
Darryl
Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Personally as a pianist and I'm not much of an organ player I enjoy the Montage. I don't have much experience with the Korg but I'd agree with Saul and the others we are talking apples VS oranges. Both are great, both have professional sounds. Are you a BMW or a Mustang guy?

Montage 8 touch is like a regular acoustic piano. I've got Essex upright by Steinway and sons at my parents' house and pretty much enjoy both keyboards at the same level of fun key action wise. YAMAHA pianos have been always the best IMO although do note that Korg (and Nord) while not making acoustic pianos and IMO have inferior bulid quality give you as a trade off way more sound variety of European piano samples while you only get YAMAHA made pianos (and Bosendorfer which are owned) resulting in awesome pianos, yes but really not much variety at all. Some of the samples on the Kronos are just darn right amazing!

I still believe Kronos is more value of money but again personally I find the Montage a way more inspiring instrument. I don't nearly as much sit and program complicated stuff/patches rather than enjoy what's been already made (well I've got my unit for a month so). The sequencer function on the Kronos is useless for me, and the interface is even harder than what NORD does which is actually a hard feat to achieve. The Montage is uncharacteristically easy to use, normally if you know the MOXF it looks like somebody puked a bunch of buttons all over the board and put a small screen in the middle.

Before I had the Montage and my old DX7II I used a bunch of shitty Roland keyboards to use on stage and at home (VR-09, FA-06). The sounds sucked badly, the bulid quality was unreliably cheap but oh boy what a joy to work with the interface!! Roland are the most user friendly overall in terms of ergonomics and design. So when I saw the Montage as a good sounding well built keyboard with Roland-esque interface I bought it.

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”