Montage Sales & Market Share vs Kronos

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Canada
vertig0spin

Montage Sales & Market Share vs Kronos

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows much about how well the Montage is selling vs the Kronos; as well as, what the difference is in Market share between the two at this point?

Are the Montage sales really bad, pretty good or awesome? As I am leaning towards purchasing the Montage over the Kronos at this point, I want to make sure that the Montage Sales are not really bad, with the possibility that Yamaha may EOL it sooner than later. Or is it definitely going to be a solid product with feature enhancements, bug fixes, etc., for the long haul?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Montage Sales & Market Share vs Kronos

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Sales of Montage have always been steady but slow. The KORG KRONOS outsells Montage by quite some margin but there is also a high percentage of KRONOS owners who then switch to Montage or buy one as a second keyboard. KRONOS is a powerhouse of a synth but it is also overkill for most people.

I think Montage with it's combo of AWM2 and FM-X is an incredibly powerful package but it takes some time for people to realise the potential and see just how far they can go with it.

The top selling synth in the world right now is the MODX and it is not hard to see why. Mainly because you get the best of Montage in a lighter package and at an incredibly low price.

The success of the MODX is actually also a great thing for Montage because it shines a light on just how powerful it's more expensive sibling is.

Yamaha are committed to quite a lengthy roadmap for MODX and Montage so I don't think you have anything to worry about in the longevity department.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:24 pm
The top selling synth in the world right now is the MODX and it is not hard to see why. Mainly because you get the best of Montage in a lighter package and at an incredibly low price.
That would have been my guess, so no surprise there!

Saul wrote:
The success of the MODX is actually also a great thing for Montage because it shines a light on just how powerful it's more expensive sibling is.
Yes, no doubt it is and that is great!

Saul wrote:
Yamaha are committed to quite a lengthy roadmap for MODX and Montage so I don't think you have anything to worry about in the longevity department.
SOLD!

I am going with the Montage8, and I am done with researching the Kronos. The fact Yamaha are committed to the Montage, have a lengthly roadmap, was the final piece of the puzzle. The other things that sold me more recently was finding out that the polyphony on the Kronos is not what it seems when you first look at the specs., and that the Montage has more polyphony for doing multiple layers, instruments, etc., from two different engines at the same time that add polyphony, not reduce it, all while sequenced tracks/parts are playing as well. I plan on gigging with just the Montage only (no other keyboards), and I need a keyboard that has the following:
- Awesome pianos (especially a C7 Grand)
- Great quality weighted keybed for triggering/playing pianos
- A huge library & variety of awesome quality acoustic & synth sounds
- A good amount of User storage for adding libraries
- Built in sequencer that can be edited either onboard or via a DAW
- A great deal of Polyphony for gigging, using sequencing + playing multiple layered sounds at the same time
- Long term roadmap/product stability

If you look at my list above and think about the Kronos vs the Montage, the Montage8 is the right keyboard for me! I can always get the Epic Grand C7 &/or maybe Yamaha will give us the C7 from the Genos. Doesn't hurt that I know how to program a DX7-II either ;)

Actually, if Yamaha introduced Velocity Scaling and allowed for adding/upgrading the User memory, I probably would have chosen the MODX8 over the Kronos 88 (& possibly the Montage8)! Although I would definitely in that case, need to play the MODX8 & Montage8 piano sounds side by side with the Velocity Scaling set properly on the MODX... That's actually a difficult one to guess, because even with the Velocity Scaling on the MODX8, if the Montage8 played and felt as awesome as I remember, I might still pay the extra & choose the Montage8, as that BHE keybed may have just spoiled me for life! :D

Thanks for all the help from everyone, including the folks on the Korg Kronos forums.

Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 pm

I'd be really interested to see what is planned next for Montage and whether they are committed to improving it, fixing and enhancing or even adding new features, both free and paid to the product. I bought it last month and I had this worry as well, since the Montage came about January 2016 or so, it's been 3 years and this NAMM they might release the Montage MK2 which would just make me feel absolutely horrible BUT I bought it regardless cause the only other keyboard I was left with after gear sell and apartment move was the JUPITER 6 which is a synth and not much of an expressive keyboard for the pianist, so I couldn't wait.

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”