Working on a PC infront of the Montage?

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Israel
Chummy

Working on a PC infront of the Montage?

Unread post by Chummy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi guys I am looking for advice please.

I have my Montage 8 on a Roland Z stand and 2 HS5 monitors on 2 stands. Now while this is fine and dandy my setup is far from ideal ergonomically as my small computer desk is far off to the corner and when Im mixing, watxhing movies or just casually listening to music on YT the monitors are too far and positioned behind me to the sides which makes bad listening experience.

Now I was thinking how could I work with a PC while being in front of the montage and thus between the 2 monitors. I imagine getting a bigger computer monitor on a stand isnt that hard, and luckily the montage 8 is that big so I can put a mouse on top of a mouse pad on the board's corner. Only prob tho is the PC keyboard! Where can I put that? Its too big to pit on top of the Montage and even if so it will scratch it not to mention sit on top of the screen and a bunch of buttons unconveniently. What do I do? (I dont want to invest in a super expensive huge table)

Thx so much!!
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Working on a PC infront of the Montage?

Unread post by parametric » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 am

Hi Chummy,

It would be helpful to have a photo from where you are standing at the Montage - showing the Speakers,

and another from the same position, showing where the computer desk is . . . .

Several problems spring to mind. In general, the computer Keyboard will feel more natural below the Montage.

Perhaps in a slide-out "drawer" beneath the desktop . . . . ?

How tall is the Z-Frame? Would you stand to play or sit . . . ?

I'm envisaging NOT using the Z-Frame. Is the Desk strong enough to bear the weight of the Montage?

If so, put the computer keyboard in a slide-out BELOW the Desk. Speakers either side of the Monitor . . . .

They then may be TOO CLOSE - so you might need to move the Desk AWAY from the Wall,

and place the Speakers on Stands further away against the Wall.

Ideally, Speaker CONES should be level with your ears when seated at the Montage. . . . . :wink:

Often in this situation there is no option but to go for a custom build . . . . starting with getting the Montage

at an ideal playing height. Everything else is then positioned to be convenient and usable . . .

Computer Desks with a Board on top are usually NOT at an ideal height for Playing etc.

You need to be comfortable and able to operate any pedals you have, easily . . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:48 am

I've attached a picture of part of my setup which party demonstrates what parametric has mentioned
with the slide out drawer for the computer keyboard and synth at a comfortable playing level.
computer screens are at eye level to prevent any back/neck strain. speakers are out of shot.
underneath the slide out drawer is one of the PC towers, amp, eq, etc .
this was something I made my self.

Rara 0-)
IMG_0401a.jpg
IMG_0401a.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Yamaha: SY35, SY85 (8.5mb), TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, MC307, MKB200, SE70
Kawai: XD5, Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: MA-201 E-MU: - ESI-2000 (128mb)
Digitech studio 400 - Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1, - Studiomaster: Fusion
SX Bass (modded chinese fender P knock off - fat wires, Jap caps,pots, Dimarzio DP250, Ernie Ball strings)
Gliga 1

To be resurrected: SY77,FZ1,CZ1000,CZ5000, MKB200
Retired: Dr550mk2,SR-16,D110
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Very nice setup Rara,

Looks like you've got everything "to hand". Shame about the computer kb on top of the Synth,

but I guess there's nowhere better to put it?

Nice to see the SY85 in there . . . . your Master keyboard?

I always thought that two monitors was a good idea. I'm guessing Mixer on the right, Tracks on the left . . . .

It's actually quite difficult to realise a perfect setup. A Custom build is often the best in the end . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:26 pm

My setup is pretty simple as space is at a premium here. So I have two small Presonus monitors either side of my iMac (27"). In front of the mac is my desktop mixer which is small enough to not take up much space on the desk. I have two computer keyboards, both Mac. The wireless one I use for the iMac and the longer wired one is connected to my Windows 10 PC which sits out of the way under the desk.

I have another desk right next to this one so in effect it becomes one working space. On that is another monitor connected to the PC. I can also use the Mac screen and often do, with the PC and that gives me a wider connected desktop.

Keyboards..of the musical variety can either site directly on the desk in front of the mac or if too large they go on a keyboard stand right next to me. All in all it works really well. I don't need more than one keyboard though so it is not a complex setup.

This was from when I had the Akai Advance 49 and the Rokit KRK's but generally this is how my desk usually looks.
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 16.24.55.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 16.24.55.png (519.06 KiB) Viewed 384 times
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 am

parametric wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:57 pm
Very nice setup Rara,

Looks like you've got everything "to hand". Shame about the computer kb on top of the Synth,

but I guess there's nowhere better to put it?

Nice to see the SY85 in there . . . . your Master keyboard?

I always thought that two monitors was a good idea. I'm guessing Mixer on the right, Tracks on the left . . . .

It's actually quite difficult to realise a perfect setup. A Custom build is often the best in the end . . . .

parametric
thanks :-) SY85 is the master for as long as the SY77 is out of commission. left screen is sequencing/mixing, right is session recording,
middle is win98 which has my old dos tracker sequencer on it, i use that to transcribe old ideas from.
keyboard on the synth, it's there 'cause i could find anywhere else to put it.

Rara 0-)
Yamaha: SY35, SY85 (8.5mb), TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, MC307, MKB200, SE70
Kawai: XD5, Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: MA-201 E-MU: - ESI-2000 (128mb)
Digitech studio 400 - Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1, - Studiomaster: Fusion
SX Bass (modded chinese fender P knock off - fat wires, Jap caps,pots, Dimarzio DP250, Ernie Ball strings)
Gliga 1

To be resurrected: SY77,FZ1,CZ1000,CZ5000, MKB200
Retired: Dr550mk2,SR-16,D110
Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Well damn you got yourself a pretty ergonomic setup! I've got a really small and flimsy computer desk, the Montage is on the Z stand set to sitting height, it works great that way, as well as the 2 monitors to the back (I might lower them monitors stands a bit though from what they are now as in the pic)

Edit: Image linking of the 2nd photo doesn't work. It seems like a problem with the site :/
Attachments
IMG_20181217_171823.jpg
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Upload the images to the forum as attachments. Much easier :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”