Montage/MODX Sales - Guesstimation

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Montage/MODX Sales - Guesstimation

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:44 pm

I finally just ordered my Montage 8! :dance:

Talking to the sales rep, he said that their company sold 51 Montage 8's since 2016. (he didn't give any stats on Montage6/7 or MODX)
They are one of the largest Music Store chains in Canada. There are 2 or 3 other big chains, plus several large single stores or small chains, so I would guess that number(51) would be at least 3.5 times that amount across all of Canada, which equals 178 rounded down.

The US next door are about 10 times the population so I am guessing they have sold approximately 1780 of them.
I will guess all of Europe have bought about the same as the US, 1780.
I will also guess that all the remaining countries of the world combined bought about the same amount, 1780.

If my math is correct, that is 5,518 Montage 8's sold since 2016. In Canada they sell for $4999.99, but our dollar is weaker than the US, so I'll convert to US dollars = $3760 x 5518 = $20,747,680 of Montage 8 sales world wide since 2016.

I'll take a wild guess that the same amount of Montage 6's & 7's combined sold twice as much as the Montage 8, for a new total of $62,243,040 in sales world wide for all Montages since 2016.

I'm guessing that the MODX6,7,8 have already sold twice as many in the short time they have been out, so that's another $62,243,040 in MODX sales, for a new grand total of $124,486,080 new Yamaha Montage/MODX sales since 2016.

What's your best guesstimation? :wink:
User avatar United States of America
shughes

Re: Montage/MODX Sales - Guesstimation

Unread post by shughes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm

I was hoping Yamaha would have come out with the S90 series based off the Montage similar to the way they did off Motif XS but those hopes are starting to dwindle. S90XS was perfect for me...had the build quality of the Motif but not as much eye candy. I was looking at the Montage 8 but $ is too much and my current S90XS is better build quality (in my mind) then the MODX. The MODX does look like it excels at portability. Keeping my S90XS for now.

Thanks for sharing the local numbers...always find those types of stats very interesting.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Re: Montage/MODX Sales - Guesstimation

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm

shughes wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm
I was hoping Yamaha would have come out with the S90 series based off the Montage similar to the way they did off Motif XS but those hopes are starting to dwindle. S90XS was perfect for me...had the build quality of the Motif but not as much eye candy. I was looking at the Montage 8 but $ is too much and my current S90XS is better build quality (in my mind) then the MODX. The MODX does look like it excels at portability. Keeping my S90XS for now.

Thanks for sharing the local numbers...always find those types of stats very interesting.
One of the main things that the MODX has is the full library of the latest state of the art sounds from the Montage, plus most of the functionality of the Montage. Yet it's half the price and almost 1/3 the weight. The CFX, Imperial Bosendorfer and all the various other library sounds are the latest and greatest. Plus there are numerous features and functionality that make it appealing as well. I think it's a matter of time before Yamaha gives another great piano like the C7 Grand or at least some new sounds. What it lacks in build quality, they have made up for in the sound and functionality. You can potentially have 16 tracks worth of sound at once (between playing the keys, sequencing, arps, etc.), and switch between multiple different Scenes for 8 of those voice parts with numerous layers & splits, some of which could consist of samples &/or be triggered via sidechaining, vocodor, etc, all within just one 'Performance'. Plus you have plenty of polyphony especially when adding both the AMW2 and FM-X engines, and the FM-X engine is a nice bonus. The number & quality of effects is likely the best out of any other synth on the planet (besides the Montage). And there are going to be software based updates, improvements and feature enhancements to come over the next several years, so who knows what the future holds...

There's also online sharing of sounds through Soundmondo:
https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”