Yamaha Montage Hands On - First Impressions

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha Montage Hands On - First Impressions

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi Swithin - and welcome to the forums . . .

Montage or MOXF is a frequent puzzle for purchasers.

They BOTH sound pretty amazing . . . No surprise when you see where the MOXF came from, and well, the Montage IS the

Flagship Board after all. I have played it and it IS indeed, amazing.

The choice IS difficult, but may be helped by your intended use . . . .

The Montage is fielded as a Performance Synth and as such is well suited to just that. Quick and easy to access what you want in a performance situation. If this is important then you might be willing to consider it's hefty price tag?

I did a concert recently (Backing Choir) with Procul Harum, and their keyboard player Josh Philips was most complimentary about the Montage - He admitted that it was used extensively on their latest album . . . .
Parametric, Josh and the Montage.jpg
The MOXF also has amazing sounds. Yamaha have pretty much ALWAYS done this well. There have been some grumbles about the Flash Loading times, but as an instrument, it is great to play - and light to move.

I have the MOXF6, but would probably prefer (at some point) the MOXF8. As a Piano Player, I am used to, and prefer 88 notes.

IMO - if you feel you DON'T really need the "Super Knob" on the Montage - Which IS an AMAZING feature - I have to say - then you can save a DEAL of money, and NOT be at all disappointed with a MOXF6/8

I DID have a poke about for additional libraries - and found this: http://ksounds.com/product/epic-grand-p ... f-xf-moxf/

Which may be of interest?

Let us know what you (eventually) decide (Y)

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Swithin and welcome to the forum :)

Having owned the MOXF and having also had the Montage for a couple of months I can say that in terms of value for money the MOXF wins hands down.

As Chris pointed out, the Montage is a 'performance synth' and it can do incredible things however if you blindfolded me and played orchestral sounds from the MOXF and Montage side by side I would be very hard pressed to tell which was which.

There have been some tweaks to the AWM2 in Montage but nothing that stands out that much. Of course you also have FM which you do not have in the MOXF however it is a separate engine and for what you want is not really a "must have"?

Montage contains all the sounds from the XF and XS as well as a selection from previous Motif's. It has an enormous palette to choose from. Yamaha REALLY don't like me saying this but if it were a grand cheaper I would have no hesitation in buying one and using it as the centre of my home studio.

So to answer your question, no I don't think the orchestral sounds in Montage are better than those in or available for the MOXF. You do need to be aware though that if you go for the MOXF then loading those extra sounds is not a quick process. It will take the best part of 40 minutes just to load in half a gig! Also of course you do need to buy the flash card in the first place. In it's defence it was not designed for the quick chopping and changing of sounds but more as an extension of the existing wave rom and one you would not want to change very often.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

Thank you both very much for your thoughtful answers! :) You've given me exactly what I was hoping for: clear arguments and detailed explanations. Not only do I find them very useful, I also feel encouraged to tell you more of what I'm after.

What I'm mainly interested in is having the highest-quality sounds that EUR 2,000 can buy. I can stretch the budget to around 2,300 if I really have to, but that's still not enough to consider getting the Montage. It would probably be enough for the much-anticipated budget version of the Montage, i.e. the MOXF successor. Having read your answers, it looks like I'll be happy with either keyboard.

I don't play live, I'm not good enough for that. In fact, music is just a hobby for me. It used to be a very intense hobby until about 12 years ago, when work started claiming more and more hours of my previously free time. I used to record songs using nothing more than an entry-level arranger (a Roland EM-20), an improvised audio cable, and my computer. And a $10 pair of headphones. Here are some examples of the music I made (not exactly platinum record material, but enjoyable enough for my own ears):

https://soundcloud.com/user-309290390-9 ... merrrengue

https://soundcloud.com/user-309290390-9 ... ng-of-hope

https://soundcloud.com/user-309290390-9 ... rping-song

https://soundcloud.com/user-309290390-9 ... 4/feelings

https://soundcloud.com/user-309290390-9 ... e-december

Fast forward to 2017: I'm starting to have a bit more free time again and I would very much like to go back to making music. I started reading reviews and listening to demos. Having lived under a rock for so long (music-wise), I had never heard of VST instruments until about 2 months ago. Their sound quality seems really tempting, but the amount of tweaking they require looks rather daunting to me.

So I'm looking for a compromise solution:
- an 88-key board with great sounds; and
- a couple of VST libraries to complement what the keyboard already has to offer.

If I could do with just hardware, I'd probably get a current or next-generation MOXF and load it with every additional library until I hit my budget ceiling. Or I'd get a Casio PX-5S and an Integra-7.

If I could do with just software, I'd get the Casio and lots of VST libraries.

But I might find a hardware-only solution limiting, and a software-only solution not really enjoyable. So I'd rather go for the MOXF (or its successor), plus the Ravenscroft 275 for the piano sound, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE for strings, and Big Fish Audio Acoustic Legends HD for guitars. I'd load the MOXF with the DSF Orchestral Strings for Motif (hoping I might like it enough to skip Miroslav altogether) and DCP Brass, and maybe K-Sounds Epic Grand if I can afford it once I've bought everything else.

Most of the features in the MOXF are overkill for me, since I mainly want the sounds (just like the arranger features in my current Roland are unnecessary for my needs).

It'll be a few more months before I have the money for all that, so I still have time to think it over. Who knows, maybe the MOXF successor is here by then. Granted, EUR 2,000 is a lot for a hobby, but then again, I got my Roland in 1999 and I plan to keep my next gear for a long time too.

If you have other thoughts and suggestions, I would love to hear them. I value them very much, especially since you have the hands-on experience I lack.

By the way, maybe we could move this post to another thread - I've probably strayed too much from the Montage-related talk already...
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi. If a Montage is out of price reach, and VSTs daunt you, have you thought of looking for a second hand Korg Kronos? 9 synth engines all integrated in one package, nice touch screen and control surface and a fully featured audio and MIDI sequencer?

Worth a look if you are looking for buying choices. Alternatively, looking at Native Instruments Komplete 11 with keyboard. That should come as an ntegrated package to ease you into the world of software instruments. If all I was doing was playing at home, I doubt I would bother with hardware instruments now other than maintaining my classics......
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 pm

To answer your last question first. Unlike most forums we don't have a strict "on-topic" policy here. You will find most threads meander all over the place before returning to the original topic. I prefer it that was as it is more like how we would chat to each other face to face so, don't ever worry about straying away from your original topic. If it would be useful to move/split/edit a topic one of us will sort it out :)

I think there are a lot of similarities between us here. Although I have been playing guitar and keyboard for around 30 years and it is a passion I have no interest in playing live. I managed a punk rock band for a couple of years back in the 90's and that was more than enough "live" for me! So, I love playing and I change instruments quite often. I think I worked out that I have owned a different keyboard for every one of those 30 years ;)

I have often found myself in the same situation as you find yourself now. There is a LOT of choice out there and even more if your not intending to play live as you can be a bit more experimental with software and controller keyboards etc.

If you have a max budget of €2000 you could very easily pick up a used Korg Kronos for that money. There is a Kronos 88 on Ebay at the moment for £1800 or best offer. That's a LOT of keyboard for the money.

The replacement for the MOXF i.e a cut down Montage could be a way off yet. I think Yamaha will want to let the Montage gain a foothold first as they need to recover development costs etc and as it's not a cheap keyboard and up against stiff competition that could take some time. The MOXF still sells well and also they have now introduced the 88 key version of the MX.

Other options might be the XF6 which you could probably pick up for around £1500. It doesn't have FM of course but it does have sampling and all the features of the MOXF plus an extra flash card slot so you could really pack it full of the sorts of sounds you like.

Then if like me you prefer the controller and software route there is the Native Instruments S series keyboards along with the Komplete 11 software package. That is a hugely powerful combo and for less than half the price of a Montage. Under a grand if you go for the S49 or S61

There are also the Alesis VX49 and Akai Advance 49 which both use the VIP software to connect a world of VST's with the keyboard.

Happy to kick around some options and choices if you have time?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Derek wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm
Hi. If a Montage is out of price reach, and VSTs daunt you, have you thought of looking for a second hand Korg Kronos? 9 synth engines all integrated in one package, nice touch screen and control surface and a fully featured audio and MIDI sequencer?

Worth a look if you are looking for buying choices. Alternatively, looking at Native Instruments Komplete 11 with keyboard. That should come as an ntegrated package to ease you into the world of software instruments. If all I was doing was playing at home, I doubt I would bother with hardware instruments now other than maintaining my classics......
Just noticed you posted this at the same time Derek. Great minds think alike and all that :)

Used Kronos would be my first choice if I had that budget, closely followed by the Native Instruments S88 and Komplete 11.

After that not sure but a Roland DS88 would be on the list, mainly because it has a beautiful 'Ivory Feel' balanced hammer action keybed but also you can load free sounds from the Axial website so it's incredibly value for money. Would also check out the FA08. That has sampling along with two virtual expansion slots. I didn't like the keybed on the FA06 but the FA08 might be a different matter.

Also on my list would be things such as the Roland Fantom G and Fantom X both of which are fantastic keyboards and can be picked up for well under a grand now.

The Alesis Fusion 8HD would also be In the mix.

So much choice it can become quite confusing. Thing to do is nail down the must have's and go from there.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi swithin,

Just been listening to your examples . . . .

Very nice - considering the basic setup you were using . . . Shows what CAN be done with such gear . . .

I can't fault the suggestions you have seen so far. There are some fine boards out there both old an new, and as the technology moves along, you just get better sounds and more for your money - as you go . . . (Y)

I see you mention 88 notes . . Me too. As primarily a Piano Player - its what I learned on, and am still happier with.

You seem to have a good grasp of harmony, with interesting chord sequences happening. The arrangements seem to be well paced and hold the listener well - not always going where they might be expected to IYKWIM . . .

How do you usually work? Everything done INSIDE the Synth? or perhaps using a DAW?

We all work differently - which is fine - so I perceive that NO ONE Board is all things to all Users - despite what the Manufacturers would wish . . . :lol:

I, for instance, originate my stuff in my Fusion 8HD's Sequencer and then export tracks to Reaper as Midi (if I want to edit the midi - or use VSTis) or as Audio (if I want to use the Fusions own Sounds).

I hope eventually, I will integrate the Fusion into the DAW system more as a sound source rather than just an input device - but that's a bit further down the road at the moment . . .

I guess I'm kinda biased towards the Fusion - as I have both a 6HD and an 8HD, but can say that IMO it (8HD) has one of the finest fully weighted keybeds out there - and I've played a few . . .

Together with the Sequencer - 32 tracks midi AND 8 tracks 24bit 44.1 khz Audio - it is very capable.

If you like to edit or create sounds and save them as user voices (Programs in Fusionspeak) there is virtually unlimited space for storage.

I have ~4000 Voices, plus ALL my compositions and have only used ~ 9 GB of the 120Gb available . . .

Introduced in 2005 and legacied in Jan 2007 (which was a travesty) Both Fusions can be had for interesting prices on ebay.

I gave just £300 for my 6HD recently . . . .

So you have a wide field to choose from 8O

Let us know what you decide. We are here to help/guide any way we can . . 8)

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha Montage Hands On - First Impressionsad

Unread post by Derek » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm
Derek wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Just noticed you posted this at the same time Derek. Great minds think alike and all that :)
Or fools never differ :mrgreen:

In a few weeks I will be in a position to fund a new 'board (probably my last before retiring from gigging in eight to ten years or so) to replace my trusty EX5s (I will be selling the EX5s and looking for an EX5R to go in my "classic rack"). So the time for serious choices has come.

My preference is still for a robust "hardware" board so I have the option of two for stage use (i.e. Two keyboards designed for life on the road). I will be trying the Montage (at last!) but will also be checking out the competition (Kurz, Nord, Roland) if I can. I will also be looking at a "brick" computer to go in my current portable gig rack to replace an old laptop that does not have the horse power to run demanding VSTis. Between the Kronos, "Keyboard X" and that Brick PC with all of my soft synths, that should be enough sonic arsenal to see me through to stage retirement, after which I will probably only bother with the boards I have (no need to replace as long as they work and can be repaired) and my focus for anything new will be the software route, which if it is very good now, will be beyond excellent in 10 years time.

It's amazing how things have come on in the soft synth format. I first read about VSTis in 2000, first tried them in 2006 and am accumulating more and more "classic" synths in this format......

So time for choices.....
Regards
Derek Cook

Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Wow, a lot of choice indeed! :) Thank you all for taking so much time to come up with so many suggestions!

And thank you, parametric, for the compliments! You wouldn't believe how rudimentary my workflow was. I say was, because it was 2005 when I last recorded a song. And it was probably 2008 when I last played the keyboard regularly. Here's how I worked: I recorded every part/phrase separately in my keyboard, at a slower tempo, sometimes half the song tempo (because I would have needed many more attempts to play the part right at the normal song tempo). Then I played back the recording, this time at the normal tempo, and recorded this playback on my computer, using an audio cable and SoundForge. Then I started building the tracks in Magix Music Maker. And that was all! :) Except for the song Merrengue, for which a friend of mine made the drums using some software, I used the same workflow for the drums too: I had a collection of drum beats (not patterns, but single beats), each recorded individually at three different velocities, and I manually placed each beat on a Magix track. It was laborious, but as simple as can be.

Saul, you asked me about my must-haves. Here's what they are:
- 88 keys - because the sight of 88 keys gives me more awe and inspiration than the sight of 61 keys;
- great acoustic sounds (mainly piano, guitar, strings, brass/horns); ideally without a lot of tweaking;
- a relatively easy workflow - although I know it's not 2005 anymore :) but, for example, I still need to be able to easily make tempo changes like the one I described above, because my technique certainly hasn't improved during these years of not playing :).

1. Kronos and Fusion
Although I understand your arguments concerning the benefits of a used Kronos or Fusion, I'd still rather get a new keyboard. I've bought refurbished and second-hand laptops and loved each of them - but I bought them from a shop where I could see and touch them first. I'd be too worried about paying so much money for any used electronic equipment without first seeing it in person. So, for my peace of mind, I'll rule out any used boards. That means I'm losing out on great deals, but gaining peace of mind. :)

2. DS88 and FA-08
I was able to try the FA-06 in a local shop (they didn't have the FA-08). Then I tried the MOXF 8, using the same headphones. I liked the sounds on the MOXF much more. I didn't think they were perfect, but they were quite nice and it felt great to sit in front of the MOXF and play it.
I've never thought about the DS88 until now. I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time I visit the shop, but unless it sounds better than the FA, the MOXF still wins.

3. Komplete Kontrol S88 and Komplete 11
I've had a look on the Native Instruments website and a Komplete Kontrol S88 with Komplete 11 would be EUR 1,200. That's a great price indeed. But then I'd need a separate computer just for that. I couldn't add more than 50 GB of music content to my current Thinkpad, because I need it mainly for work. Even if I can load Komplete libraries modularly (so not the whole bundle, but just what I need, I think I'll easily fill more than 50 GB). I can get a second-hand laptop with an i7 processor and 8GB of RAM for around EUR 350-400. That brings the price to 1,600, which is still under my budget - so I'd even have some room left for additional sound libraries. I may cross the Casio PX-5S off my list, because S88 plus Komplete 11 seems to offer more value (albeit with loads of sounds I may never use).

I have 3 concerns about this option:
a) One concern would be about the compatibility between the S88 and non-NativeInstruments libraries/players. I've done a bit of reading and it seems it does work, but I need to look into it a bit more. If I go the VST route, there's no turning back, and I wouldn't want to be chained to Native Instruments products.

b) Another concern would be about the workflow: namely, how easy and enjoyable it is. Derek, you say you wouldn't even consider hardware instruments for strictly studio work... And I know many people would agree with you - I've been reading about this intensively for the past couple of months. But is it because of the wide choice available or because of how smoothly software instruments work?

c) Finally, I wonder how hard or easy it would be to tweak the software sounds so that I'm happy with them. I know no one can answer this question for me, so I should probably buy a MIDI-to-USB cable for my Roland and one Kontakt Player library to see what I can expect. So far, I've heard a few great examples and many mediocre examples of VST instrument sounds on YouTube - which seems to indicate it's not that easy.

So I guess the two contenders left are:
- MOXF 8 plus a 1 GB Mutec flash card, a couple of flash libraries and a 2-3 software instrument libraries;
- Komplete Kontrol S88 plus Komplete 11, plus a separate laptop and a few additional libraries.

It's not easy having so many choices. :)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Swithin wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm
b) Another concern would be about the workflow: namely, how easy and enjoyable it is. Derek, you say you wouldn't even consider hardware instruments for strictly studio work... And I know many people would agree with you - I've been reading about this intensively for the past couple of months. But is it because of the wide choice available or because of how smoothly software instruments work?
Simply because they are now so good. Accepting that an emulation will (not yet) ever be a 100% replacement for a vintage classic, unless you have the budget and space then why pay £3,000 for a Minimoog D when you can get a software emulation that is nearly as good for closer to £150? And in ten years time they will probably be at the point where even the most anal synth nerds will not be able to spot the emulation from the original. :)

For me it is a compelling combination of sound quality, cost, and the fact they they are taking up no real estate other than bits on a hard disk. And the fact the soft synths like U-HE DIVA sound so gorgeous. Google U-HE DIVA and go take a listen. :)

On a one in one out policy. I can replace the keyboards in my space confined studio, but I have no space to keep adding more. And I only want a rig of no more than two for live use. TBH, two is probably an indulgence now based on my argument for soft synths, but the counter argument is that if you are live on stage then I am not quite conformable relying totally on a computer for sound generation. So I want to dip a toe in that water, whilst I still have hardware units as well. But hardware is a relative term these days as most synths have software in them in some form. They key thing is that they are designed for live use with no general computing baggage. But my experiences so far of using a PC in a live environment has been mostly positive. But note that is a "mostly" qualification and not 100%.
Regards
Derek Cook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 am

Swithin wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm
I bought them from a shop where I could see and touch them first. I'd be too worried about paying so much money for any used electronic equipment without first seeing it in person. So, for my peace of mind, I'll rule out any used boards. That means I'm losing out on great deals, but gaining peace of mind. :)
I appreciate what you are saying Swithin, and indeed, when I bought my first Fusion, the 8HD - the seller had it set up and demoed it to me for about 1/2 hour - and then left me alone with it for at least another 1/2 hour to try myself.

The 6HD, I did not try before paying 300 quid, but having been around the Fusion for a couple of years, and being a <MOD> on a couple of Fusion specific Forums, I had come to know it's foibles and "problem" areas - and felt able to take the risk.

As it transpired - It was perfect, aside from a single key that didn't work 8O .

A little research later, I opened it up (I needed to upgrade the RAM and fit an SSD anyway) and disassembled the offending contact strip, to find that the problem note's contact had not been seated down fully - allowing dirt/dust in . .

I removed the whole strip and cleaned everything - and replaced the strip properly - and hey presto - Fully working key . .

So now I know how to do that :wink:

The last period of my working life was in tech support in the Music Dept of a University - so I'm fairly tech savvy - and have a strong desire to fix things that ain't working :lol:

Tempo changes are quite easy to do in a DAW. I just learned to do a rallentando for an ending I wanted, going smoothly from 120bpm to 100 bpm . .

It's quite satifying watching the tempo display on the DAW roll the numbers downwards. The effect is reassuringly natural.

Reading your post again, I think I can see you with a MOXF8? and I think you'll be delighted . . . . 8)

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 am

I can certainly appreciate that laying out a lot of money for a used keyboard can seem like a huge risk. Having said that I think I have only ever purchased maybe 5 brand new keyboards in my life, a Roland Fantom X6, Roland Juno Gi, Korg M50, Yamaha MOX and Yamaha MOXF. Some of the most expensive have been used such as the Roland Fantom G, Korg M3 and Yamaha XS6. I have though never bought a used keyboard that I did not test in person first. There has been a LOT of travelling involved!

So yes for peace of mind perhaps going down the used route is not the path for you. That still leaves a lot of options though. I would definitely check out the Roland DS88 and FA08 if you can. The 88 keys and weighted action make a massive difference and because they change the way you play somehow this brings out things in the sounds that you might not have noticed before.

As I mentioned, I owned the Roland FA06 and whilst I liked it a lot I definitely did not like the keys. A couple of years later Roland sent me the DS88 to test and the DS range is actually a cut down version of the FA so you would expect it to be not as good? That was not my experience at all. The DS88 was a delight to play and honestly I very reluctantly parted with it. I think the actual keys themselves had a lot to do with that.

With Native Instruments your not tied to anything. The S series keyboards are designed specifically with KOMPLETE in mind but they are fully fledged controllers and will work with any software. The situation is even better now than when it launched because Native Instruments opened up the .nki format to other software vendors so now there is a seemingly endless list of virtual instruments that can take advantage of the S series features.

By the way just managed to get a review copy of Kontakt from NI and have been testing it with 'The Grandeur' concert piano. Even though I am restricted to a Korg microKEY 37 at the moment it still manages to sound superb. Pity I couldn't get NI to send me a S88 at the same time ;)

You can get the Native Instruments S88 bundled with KOMPLETE UlTIMATE at the moment for £1149 and if your not planning to play live that is definitely the way I would go. It's better value for money that the MOXF8 at £1291 and that's before you add in the flash card and sounds to go on it.

The S88 with KOMPLETE is a world of versatility apart from any hardware synth. If you manage to test one in store you will see how smoothly it integrates with both the KOMPLETE software and a DAW. Also if your not the worlds best keyboard player and I certainly am not then you have functions on the S series such as scale mode and chord mode which will make you sound much better than you are but can also help you learn and these are things none of the hardware synths will have.

Anyway there ends my sales pitch for Native Instruments :)

The MOXF8 is a great keyboard and I think you would really enjoy playing it. Best to get a hands-on of all the options your considering but do pay particular attention to the user interface on the MOXF. Test it to see how easy it is to do what you will want to do with it.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm really glad I've decided to join this forum and ask you for suggestions. :)

I have a holiday in 2 weeks and I'll pay another visit to the music shop. I see they've got a Komplete Kontrol S49 - hopefully I can try it with some Komplete libraries to get an idea of what the whole experience is like. And I'll definitely try the DS88 too. Even though it has no SuperNATURAL sounds, it's only slightly more expensive than the Casio, so it might be a very tempting option. I can't wait to compare the DS88 with the Komplete experience and the MOXF. :)

Speaking of the MOXF, I have a question for parametric: do you use yours for composing or just for playing?
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm

I would use it for composing if I had more room :roll: So only playing ATM

I don't have a "studio" space sadly. The 8HD is in a bedroom and the 6HD is in the conservatory - which is the only place I can record vocals (at 3 am in the morning) due to traffic noise the rest of the time . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Is that the conservatory in your profile picture? It looks really nice! :)

I have a 1.7 x 2.5 m home office that may someday become a voiceover studio as well - basically a double-glazed enclosure built in one corner of our living room. The acoustic treatment is an ongoing process, as it doesn't insulate sound quite the way I was hoping... :)

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”