Montage: Transferring performance to a DAW

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Montage: Transferring performance to a DAW

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 am

Was just watching a video about the Montage 1.2 firmware update and some of the things it adds and one of them is this feature called 'Montage Connect' which "apparently" is supposed to make it easy to transfer a performance to a DAW...in this case of course it's Cubase.

Now, perhaps I am being a little picky here but to me this doesn't seem "easy" at all. I know for many of you who work with Cubase day to day this will all seem like a stroll in the park but I get the feeling it should have been a lot simpler than Yamaha have made it to be? Watch the video and then let me know what you think.

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Montage: Transferring performance to a DAW

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Seems rather complicated to me, Saul - but there again The Montage IS a very advanced device, so such manipulations are going to be complicated.

I've recently come to realise that promotional videos are (of course) designed to show the kit in a good light - to encourage purchase, but in

so doing, they of course do not highlight the stuff that CAN'T be done easily (or at all . . . ).

As a user, you ARE of course interested in precisely these details, as it is these that will eventually decide you whether to go for it or not.

So I am moreorless resigned these days, to think in terms of whether a device will work the way I work, or not - and THAT will be a

deciding factor.

I'm simply not up for re-learning a new MO every time a new piece of kit comes along.

I've yet to COMPLETELY finalise the way I work, due to not having a PERMANENT setup, but basically, its this:

Play the component tracks IN on the Fusion.

Export the MIDI to Reaper.

Instrument the tracks with Kontakt (I'm starting to get the hang of this)

Edit the midi - both to correct my playing - AND for some additional compositional input . . . .

At this point, if I WISH to return to the Fusion's Voicings - I re-import the midi and re-allocate the Fusion's programs.

THEN, record the AUDIO of the Fusion as individual tracks - and drop these back into the Reaper project, for finishing.

I then have the choice of the Fusion's voicings OR the Kontakt ones (or even both, if I wish).

Yamaha can't be blamed for championing Cubase, as they own it, but I prefer - and am more familiar with Reaper, and will stay with it for

the forseeable future.

Despite claims made Bad_Mister about the MOXF and compatability with other DAWS, including Reaper, I didn't find it to be easy (or even

true - NO disrespect to him) Indeed, maybe MY inability to understand could be the problem :lol:

In a ideal world, I'd like the whole Fusion's content as VSTis . . . But I'm not up to doing that myself - and probably don't have the skills to

achieve it, in any case . . .

I think Klaus does have HS "Nebula" in Kontakt - which I might buy at some point . . . .

Probably, an experienced Cubase user with a Montage is needed to appraise this update and see what's what?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Well no sooner do I mention the 1.20 update than the 1.50 comes along with yet more features, although I can't test is as it's not out until tomorrow. All part of the NAMM 2017 thing although having read the press release I have to say I really HOPE Yamaha have more than this for MusikMesse or people will start to question exactly what they have been doing all this time!

I think having been talking about Roland in another thread and also having just watched Rick Wakeman talking about his Fantom X8 I'm starting to think that was probably the ideal keyboard for me. The fact that it is in continuous sampling mode helps when your not a particularly great player and you manage to play something where you don't slip and hit the wrong notes because you know it's instantly saved. You just hit a button to play it back or assign it to a pad or key. Same thing works in Pianoteq as that is in constant recording mode.

So there you have it, that's the level of simplicity I need :) Perhaps it comes from primarily being a guitarist. Not a great deal to go wrong with a guitar and so easy to record.

Actually if memory serves I "think" both the Roland Fantom X and Fantom G had a quick method of getting things directly into a sequencer track. I'm going back a bit but I distinctly remember you hit a couple of buttons and it would package the whole thing up and automatically set it up as a track in your DAW...Cakewalk of course. Will have to look into that.

Maybe I am just over simplifying things that cannot be done that easily. The Montage is indeed a very complex keyboard. Was just watching a demo by our friend Bert where he said you best take six months off work if your want to plough the depths of Montage...and I think he is probably right!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:02 pm

I think part of the problem with the video is that it's talking about more than just the Montage-Cubase interconnectivity, since it's talking about the firmware update in general. Another part of the problem is that the video was shot as part of an interview or sales pitch or demonstration at what looks like a trade show, as opposed to a video tutorial which has been put together for the express purpose of teaching the viewer about how to transfer performances from the Montage to Cubase. The camera is some distance away from the laptop screen, so you really can't see what's being done in Cubase, whereas a proper tutorial would likely have actual screen captures for maximum visibility, and captions that point out exactly what's going on. I'm not faulting the video at all-- it is what it is-- I'm just saying it isn't a tutorial on how to do something, it's just a sales pitch or presentation at a trade show. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Good point. This is not a tutorial however as a sales pitch it would have put me right off LOL but then I probably have a short attention span :/:

Sometimes I just wish they really would come up with a simple "press this button" and it's done sort of thing. I know that is totally unrealistic and it's a matter of "learning" the instrument but I'm not sure I have the time...or inclination. That's not their fault of course but when they say "we have made it easier than ever" and so on I really would like to see that it is indeed "easy". But then their definition of easy and mine are probably worlds apart.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Very true! :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”