Yamaha Montage Review

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yamaha Montage Review

Unread post by Saul » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

As many of you will know, both Chris Miller (Parametric) and myself were invited to the Yamaha Artist day back in Feb 2016 where Yamaha had all versions of Montage on demo and we got to spend a little time trying the presets etc. My impression then was that Montage was a fantastic instrument but a little too expensive for me so there was very little prospect of ever owning one but I could certainly see it being on the shopping list of many pro musicians looking to add to or move on from the XF.

Fast forward to March 2017 and I have had the Montage 7 on loan from Yamaha for about two months which has allowed me to experience what it would be like if I could afford one. A quick play around in a music store or even the couple of hours hands-on with Yamaha doesn’t let you explore an instrument fully. The only way to tell if it would be the keyboard for you is to play it day in day out over a period of weeks to determine if all the bells and whistles on offer are what you “need” or perhaps something less functional and less expensive might be the order of the day.

So, what’s it like to live and work with Montage? Well not surprisingly it’s rather nice. Beginning with the keys, both the Montage 6 and Montage 7 come with semi-weighted keys and the Montage 8 is fitted with a weighted balanced hammer action keybed. Happily, I can report that the keys on the Montage 7 are fine, of excellent quality and have just that little bit of resistance you need on a semi-weighted keybed. I found it a pleasure to play at the Artist Day and having used it now for over two months my opinion has not changed. Excellent job by Yamaha there.

Next up is that large colour touch screen display. Nice that Yamaha finally rolled out a touch screen for their flagship product, after all Korg have been providing this for years so Yamaha comes late to the party but is very welcome just the same. On the whole I like it, I’m a big fan of touch screens, however this implementation is a bit of an odd ball. You can’t manipulate the virtual knobs and sliders “on-screen” you must tap to highlight the control and then use the traditional hardware knobs and sliders to adjust the parameters. This seems a bit counter intuitive to me. Would have been far better to add a few cm to the screen size and include touch editing of parameters. You can however call up a calculator type display for some functions where you can punch in values but that has never appealed to me.

Another rather odd thing about the touch screen is that if you tap ‘Home’ it doesn’t take you to the start page but instead to the root page for the sound your using at the time. I can’t think of any other device that uses a touch screen and has a ‘home’ function that doesn’t take you to the start page, but then Yamaha have always done things in their own way and I guess in their minds it seemed perfectly logical. You do get used to it after a while though.

Before talking about the sounds there is one very important thing that needs to be said. Although Montage is a replacement for Motif it is NOT a workstation. It doesn’t have sampling and it has only a limited song recorder on board (no audio recording). I would describe Montage as a ‘Performance Synth’ as do Yamaha and in that role, it excels. If you need an all-in-one workstation however you will need to be looking elsewhere, perhaps to the previous flagship Yamaha XF which can be had at a very good price now or even the MOXF which I still think is one of Yamaha's best keyboards of the last ten years.

So, to the sounds and it will come as absolutely no surprise that in terms of acoustic instruments Yamaha excels. All the orchestral, wind and pianos are good bu as far as acoustic pianos go at least, I did prefer the Bösendorfer Imperial Grand which you can load in via USB over the preset acoustic pianos but then it is all down to personal taste so in truth I can only say what sounds better "for me".

There is a fair amount of EDM sounds on board Montage, which of course lend themselves very well to use of the 'super knob' and 'motion control' engine. That Super Knob can control many parameters at once and can also be controlled via a foot pedal (FC7) which Yamaha kindly supplied with the test model but is a separate purchase when buying from a store. It is definitely worth buying the pedal though because you don't then have to take your hands off the keyboard to operate that Super Knob. Makes for some very interesting soundscapes :) The FC7 is one of the best pedals I have ever used and is worth every penny of it's £52 asking price.

In terms of quality of those EDM sounds I would say they are pretty good. I am not the worlds biggest fan of Electronic Dance Music but if that is your thing then Montage won't disappoint.

All the other sounds are pretty much the same fair as the previous Motif line, which considering Montage contains nearly all the sounds from Motif XF/XS is hardly surprising. Apart from the lack of sampling then the Montage has all the bases covered in the sound department, although if you factor in the new ways in which you can manipulate sounds using the 'Super Knob' it does broaden the palette by quite some margin. Old sounds get a new lease of life and of course you can now merge them with FM-X sounds to great effect.

So, apart from the price, niggles about the touch screen, possible issues with MIDI implementation oh and me preferring the Bösendorfer Imperial Grand to the internal piano sounds...what have Yamaha done for us? ;) our older members will get the reference there :)

PROS:
Great keybed, very high quality.
Lot's of real time controls
Super Knob - change a large number of parameters at the same time from one control
Large colour touch screen
Sample import - faster internal flash memory than XF and MOXF
Acoustic Sounds - Mostly excellent
FM-X - Good to see FM back

CONS:
Price - Too expensive for me...perhaps not for you though.
Touch Screen - Nice to have at last but would prefer to be able to adjust ALL controls from the screen itself
MIDI - some issues. Perhaps a fix via software?
Only 2 Synth engines? - Probably enough for many but perhaps more further down the line?

Overall what do I think of Montage?. It's a fantastic keyboard with a lot of potential and it's a massive amount of fun to play...I just can't see me spending three grand on it. Either the price needs to come down or I need a lottery win. The addition of a VA engine might help sing it though?

Really for me it's just all down to the price. I can neither justify or afford to lay out this sort of money on a keyboard right now...I was hoping the Montage would be cheaper. Perhaps I will need to wait for that MOXF replacement after all.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha Montage Review

Unread post by parametric » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:26 pm

A Nice review there Saul . . . .

As you say - this is INTENDED to be a performance Synth, which is indeed bourne out by the fact that Rick now uses one, and Josh Phillips of Procol Harem now has one central to his Concert Rig . . .
Parametric, Josh and the Montage.jpg
In Rehearsal - Josh with the Montage8
He said he was very impressed with the way he could set up and recall performances for use in real time. He was also extremely pleased with the Sound Quality - But then Yamaha have always been rather good at that!

From my recollection of that "Artists Day" - I tried the Montage with the FC-7 pedal to control the Super Knob, playing one of my own "pieces", that involves Piano and Strings, and I have to say that bringing the strings IN with the pedal, whilst playing was a delight and MOST satisfying . . .

I felt comfortable with that after a few moments with it . . . Keyboard Players will applaud the ability to do this without taking a hand off the keys to do it . . .

As it is clearly NOT a workstation - it is not a little disappointing that the MIDI implementation is not up to scratch.

Performers, I'm sure might well require to control other instruments with it - so this should not be"difficult" IMO . . .

Certainly, If I was to be considering one of these - I would expect to integrate it easily with a DAW, and use it in this guise - ESPECIALLY -

given the Price.

But then I am AWARE that it is NOT a Workstation :?

The Voices and Performances sounded amazing to me - NO problems there . . .

Pianos . . . . Will always be a topic for lively discussion - as perceived quality is SO personal - and while they might not ABSOLUTELY

please on a personal level - I would consider them ably fit-for-purpose in most professional situations - certainly from an audience point

of view . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Still got the Montage by the way. It was supposed to back today but no one got back to me about collection so it will be some time next week.

It is a great keyboard but no matter what angle I come at it from it IS still way too expensive for me.

I hope Yamaha will be bringing out a whole raft of new features through software updates over the next few months however we know there definitely will not be any synth engines added to the current Montage so perhaps that is something for a 'Montage 2' who knows? If this one were my own I would open it up and take a look to see if there is any spare sections on the main board as there often is with Yamaha keyboards. That would indicate where they intend to go in the future.

Maybe they will surprise us with a MOXF replacement at MusikMesse next month :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Good review. I take it you read the threads about the MIDI issues?

I still need to try the Montage to form my own opinion of it, but not until I am seriously in the market, when I will be checking other options as well.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 am

Saul wrote: Next up is that large colour touch screen display. Nice that Yamaha finally rolled out a touch screen for their flagship product, after all Korg have been providing this for years so Yamaha comes late to the party but is very welcome just the same.
I hope you don't mind if I try to correct you on this one. Yamaha had color touch screens on their flagships since 2008. The only problem was that those flagships never left Japan and in case they did they would have been twice as expensive as the Montage is in today's money.

The STAGEA ELS-01C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxtlCLwWvA

About 55 seconds in the video you can see the Yamaha touch screen working like a charm.

I would take that toy over the Montage or the Tyros any time, if I knew what to do with it. I would also take with it Ms. Yuki, she is simply incredible in that video. I wish I could be as good as she is playing keyboards. Some people have that special gift. The rest of us can simply admire them.

Nice review by the way but I am not buying one. Aside from the fact that I have not touched my new XF in months, I cannot stand the looks of the Montage.

All the best,
DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:49 am

Well of course your right there DrF and I should have said "flagship synth" which the Electone isn't although it is an amazing keyboard for sure.

I assume Yamaha did their research and figured there was no market for it in the West or a very limited one at best. I'm not entirely convinced of that as there has always been a quite sizeable organ playing base in Europe and the USA and really that is what the Electone range is, super charged organ. Perhaps it was just too expensive to manufacture in large numbers?

On the subject of "looks" I have to agree. I am not overly enamoured with how the Montage looks. I can't get away from the feeling that it's an enhanced MOXF and I wasn't overly keen on how that looked either. I know we should all be concerned with how it sounds and plays over how it looks but for me at least, I need to be drawn to something, I need to want to sit there and play it for hours on end and right now I find myself simply walking around the Montage to get to my guitar.

Let's see what Yamaha can pull out of the bag next month at MusikMesse!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 am

I've seen her and some of the other Japanese child prodigies before, and they are simply amazing. I will never be able to play to that level - esp left hand, right hand and foot separation!

That video is a good example where you look at what Yamaha provide to the west and you think WTF? Whilst I have no desire for a stage organ doing that sort of MUSAK, two things caught my attention in that video (as well as the sheer talent of the playing).

1) They still have VL synthesis in a product, so why drop it on the Western market?
2) A keyboard where you can do note expression by some horizontal wriggling (was that last seen on the GX-1?)

This kind of proves my point that Yamaha has some great technology in its arsenal. If it could drop half an FS1r into the Montage, why did they not go further and drop VL (as they have in that Electone) and AN into it? With four synth engines, they would only have a another 5 to go then to complete with the Kronos! A CS80 facsimile would have gotten then more than half way there, and I would then have been plotting to sell a family member to get it.....
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 am

I think it's the old "roadmap" thing again Derek. Yamaha tend to drip feed things to us rather than put all their goodies in one basket. However Korg have shown in Kronos that you can indeed give your customers everything and STILL maintain sales and market share. Has anyone noticed that where you used to always see a Motif being used on stage...certainly on tv, it is now the Korg Kronos that is everywhere? I can't see Montage changing that situation any time soon.

I always feel like I am bashing Yamaha but really I'm just a very frustrated Yamaha fan who sees how things could be and can't understand why they are not?

I REALLY do think Montage is over priced in a very big way!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 am

By the way, what is even more remarkable about that video of the Electone ELS-01C is it was made in 2008 8O

WTF have Yamaha been doing all these years?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Ah, I thought it was more recent, so maybe VL is no more in the far east as well.

Yes, I feel a bit of a serial Yamaha bash as well these days, but it is out of frustration due to their lack of risk taking compared to what they used to do. I have a studio full of Yamaha innovation, but it stops at 2001. What have they done in the last 16 years that excites me?

Korg is smaller and probably more agile and probably less at the whims of corporate sluggishness, but Yamaha have a lot more resources at their disposal.
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Derek wrote:Ah, I thought it was more recent, so maybe VL is no more in the far east as well.
It is still there in the next genelation Stagea Electones, the current ELS-02, which happens to also have 'super articulation' voices.
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I was just looking up the price of the ELS-02 Standard and it equates to around £4800. That compares well with the Tyros 5. I wonder why they are not selling them here in Europe. Of course you would need a fair amount of space for one as they are not exactly small! Extremely interesting instrument though.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Kind of difficult to guess why the various markets are served DIFFERENTLY - as we perceive . . . WITHOUT knowing those markets . . .

Perhaps Japan has a culture of public performance venues, coast to coast - and brilliant young performers compete in some way as a matter of national pride in excellence . .

The ELS-02 is conspicuously a performance instrument - and if what I have describes above is true to any extent - it would explain their presence in THAT market . .

Our "preferences" (IMO) are driven out of the Prog-Rock era - where we perceive the KIND of Synths we like, sprang from . . . .

Sadly - as Prog is not "flavour of the month" anymore, perhaps Yamaha's Marketing is merely taking this into account with the boards it makes available . . .

Aside from the mainstream "serious" business of Film soundtracks with BIG orchestral set-pieces, much of the rest is loop-based in nature, and while I can appreciate it's appeal, I've never truly understood it, and indeed have failed miserably to emulate it myself. .

It's just not "musically" for me.

Even the MOXF - if you go through the Performances provided - a HUGE number of them are Dance or Drum and Bass oriented that heavily depend on LOOPS - and attempt to channel you down that route . . .

There is also a huge plethora of companies in the software market, pushing LOOP samples and loop-based music creation SW - as if it was the ONLY way to do things . . . .

Alesis's departure from the Synth market into predominantly DeeJaying related kit is (IMO) similarly motivated.

Yamaha have to keep the money flowing in and obviously feel they have got THAT right, but in a broader view I have to agree with Derek, the Pioneering ethos they HAD seems to have died away - which (IMO) is a great shame - as they used to be VERY INNOVATIVE.

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:42 pm

EXer wrote:
Derek wrote:Ah, I thought it was more recent, so maybe VL is no more in the far east as well.
It is still there in the next genelation Stagea Electones, the current ELS-02, which happens to also have 'super articulation' voices.
Ah, my point stays proven then. It shows they can drop technology like that into a keyboard. Of course, maybe they had a job lot of PLG150-VLs and have done it that way. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar United States of America
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:01 am

That superb series of instruments existed in 2004, long ago before any other manufacturer was using touch screens. An Englishman by the way, tells his own STAGEA story very well and of course he includes prices in his narrative:

http://www.mikesmusicroom.co.uk/mikes-music-articles/3

We are talking customizable instruments that depending on options can reach anywhere between $10000 and $17000. Forget the Tyros, the Motif, the Montage. One Stagea ELS can cost as much as those three toys together. They are still making them and not only that, they have reached the point where they replace the heart of the old 01 series with a module that turns it into a 02 series. More information here:

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... index.html

and here:

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.co ... /electone/

Trying to guess why Yamaha behaves the way they do as far as marketing and localization goes is a question for the ages. But it is nice to know they CAN be ahead of others when they so wish. I don't think that you can stop talent from creating something amazing and over the years we have seen a lot of talent coming out of the engineers employed by Yamaha. Unfortunately they don't make the decisions, the marketing boys do.

Last, one more link of another amazing kid playing the STAGEA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbPfISf7ug

I never met any child like her but I have seen asian kids that are music geniuses and all have a characteristic that gives them away if you know what to look for. That's a secret I won't share. I had the privilege to have two super smart asian students in my class, one male, one female. The male would never take down any notes. As soon as the board was filled up and I was about to erase it and start with a new problem, he would blink his eyes three times and that was all he needed. All the information was recorded in his brain. A perfect 4.0 GPA student. I would kill to have that ability and the intelligence any of these two students had.

Thank you for this nice thread by the way. And sorry for the "hijacking". :)

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”