Montage - how's the sound...?

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Montage - cold, lifeless, sound...?

Unread post by Saul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:42 pm

You can discuss anything here. There is no "on-topic" rule on this forum. Discussions take a more organic route and often meander off on a tangent. We usually get back to the original topic...eventually ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Japan
Monte

Unread post by Monte » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I also have Komplete. I currently use the EX5 as the controller as I love the keybed (albeit it has the same keys as the Motif and Montage - FSX, on the EX5 they have a bit less travel with the downpress, very easy to play but a bit more noisy!)
Last edited by Monte on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
((i))
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Nice assessment there Monte. It is true there are loading times for many of the instruments in KOMPLETE but as I am not playing live this has never been an issue.

I forgot to mention Akai's VIP software as an alternative. That has a great interface and brings all your vst's together in one place. It's very easy to scroll through sounds and you can also choose them by plugin, expansion, instrument, timbre, style and articulation.

Although VIP was designed to be used with the Akai Advance it also works well with any other midi keyboard. I am using it at the moment with the Roland FA-07
Akai VIP Software.png
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Load times of Konkakt, Omnisphere or similar are not an issue if you use live VST hosts like Cantabile which, with a bit of forward planning, will allow instant switching (subject to memory limits) of such VSTs. It's a powerful and minimal host designed for live use. I've been using it for years for various live duties, and will shortly be building a new PC into my live rig with enough horsepower to run even the most demanding VSTis like Diva live, as the old laptop I have been using is not up to that! Once I've done this I'll share the details.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Japan
Monte

Unread post by Monte » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm

I'm amazed at Diva every single time I'm using it. Love it to bits!
Another fave is OP-X Pro II, it sounds as close as it gets to a real OB.

Korg M1 and Wavestation VSTis are also often used from time to time.

My most recent discovery - I recently purchased "Blue3" by GG Audio. This is one of the best Hammond B3 emulations I've ever heard and actually retired VB3 after eons of usage by me. guys over at KVR rave about it. if it interests you, check it out!
((i))
User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am

MOVED TO NI THREAD
Last edited by pologuy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:07 am

pologuy wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 pm
But, since this is a Yamaha forum (and I don't want to "upset" people here) - where is the KOMPLETE forum you talked about previously...?
Thanks!
The Forum's name is misleading, its true. Reason being that it came into being over searching for info

on the Yamaha SY85 many years ago - and it GREW . . . . :lol:

As you can see if you look at the board index - we cover most all of the Majors mostly with dedicated

sub-forums for individual models . . .

Basically, if there are a handful of people discussing a board/guitar - whatever, then Saul will generally

make a sub-forum for it . . .

I know that Saul recently had an S61 (Mk1) from NI to review - and there is some interest in the Forum currently. .

I have Komplete11 myself - and am learning it as I go along . . . .

I expect a Forum might appear fairly soon . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Montage - how's the sound...?

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 am

..and like magic we now have a dedicated Native Instruments section :) Look down the forum, it's just above KORG.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 am

Saul wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 am
..and like magic we now have a dedicated Native Instruments section :) Look down the forum, it's just above KORG.
LOL, thanks!

:D
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 am

Monte wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm
I'm amazed at Diva every single time I'm using it. Love it to bits!

Korg M1 and Wavestation VSTis are also often used from time to time.

My most recent discovery - I recently purchased "Blue3" by GG Audio. This is one of the best Hammond B3 emulations I've ever heard and actually retired VB3 after eons of usage by me. guys over at KVR rave about it. if it interests you, check it out!
Yes, I have OPX as well, along with too many others to mention, which is why I need a new computer with enough horsepower and memory so I can use them live. My game plan for a while has been two good spec modern live boards (check), my Nord G2 Engine (a fully modular VA in a 1U rack) back in my gig rack (check) and a computer for all the VSTis which can go inside my gig rack (will be ordering this weekend). This PC will be running the Cantabile live host for all the VSTis, backing tracks, DMX light control, etc. I have been using it for years for the latter two, and also used to run NI B4II in it for years until I got the Kronos.

Acoustic Samples B5 is the organ that the Cantabile community are raving about (and they reckon it is better than Blue3. There are some serious organ heads on that community as there are quite a few players from Prog Rock bands who obviously need good organ sounds. I have the CX-3 engine in my Kronos of course. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Japan
Monte

Unread post by Monte » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 am

Derek wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 am
Yes, I have OPX as well, along with too many others to mention, which is why I need a new computer with enough horsepower and memory so I can use them live. My game plan for a while has been two good spec modern live boards (check), my Nord G2 Engine (a fully modular VA in a 1U rack) back in my gig rack (check) and a computer for all the VSTis which can go inside my gig rack (will be ordering this weekend). This PC will be running the Cantabile live host for all the VSTis, backing tracks, DMX light control, etc. I have been using it for years for the latter two, and also used to run NI B4II in it for years until I got the Kronos.
I'm with you on those.
B4 was a great emulation for the time. Still it sounds pretty legit!
The Nord G2 is a monster of sound design as well. It's a great machine! I used to have a Nord Lead 3 which was one of my favorite synths of all time.

Derek wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 am
Acoustic Samples B5 is the organ that the Cantabile community are raving about (and they reckon it is better than Blue3. There are some serious organ heads on that community as there are quite a few players from Prog Rock bands who obviously need good organ sounds. I have the CX-3 engine in my Kronos of course. :)
CX-3 is another great option for B3 emulation. I'm a sucker for organs and keys. I never played a real B3, but Blue3 has that organic feel, like it behaves naturally in all settings and not only sounds great. the Leslie speaker sim as well is really something to write home about. I know people are raving over B5, also at KVR. but it slowly changes as it was released only a few months ago. so Blue3 is pretty new and being updated regularly. I'm really a believer in this one! They have a demo, give it a shot. B5 has no demo mode. btw, B5 is sampled and using the UVI engine with its effects, Blue3 is 1s and 0s.
((i))
User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm
Nice assessment there Monte.
I consider that the credibility of the assessments of someone who writes this:
Monte wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 pm
So, every single patch from ex5tech will be uploaded? I can't wait to unleash that EX5 of mine.
[...]
now I need to start browsing the patches because the factory stuff is, oh well, hardly competent. I'd take maybe 25% of it.
is, to say the least, questionable.

(cf. Gomez' demo: presets only...)
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 pm

If I say it's a nice assessment then that is what it is. It wasn't a question.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Japan
Monte

Unread post by Monte » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

EXer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:12 pm
Saul wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm
Nice assessment there Monte.
I consider that the credibility of the assessments of someone who writes this:
Monte wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 pm
So, every single patch from ex5tech will be uploaded? I can't wait to unleash that EX5 of mine.
[...]
now I need to start browsing the patches because the factory stuff is, oh well, hardly competent. I'd take maybe 25% of it.
is, to say the least, questionable.

(cf. Gomez' demo: presets only...)
Hi there EXer, two things I'd like to address here... firstly, I stated my opinion but its up to you whether or not to regard it as credible. I'm sure you don't know me well enough or long enough to know whether or not what I write is credible. I write in this forum knowing this. I don't need credibility in order to state my opinion on various matters and debate.

secondly, my opinion regarding the EX5 is purely my own. There's a youtube video of Cory Henry improvising on the new Arp with a SAW osc with no envelope no filter no whatsoever. but he was awesome regardless shredding over Spain by Chick Corea.
also to me, out of older synths from the 90s, its okay to find 50% or even more of the factory stuff redundant.
Hopefully you don't take my opinion on the factory presets of the EX5 too personally. and maybe 25% is too rough, I would correct it now to /50%. but still I'm yet to be amazed by it. some voices really stood out though, this I can tell you.
((i))
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Monte wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm
Any software that can be loaded directly into the Montage (or MOXF via flash, etc.) that is as good (or close) to OP-X Pro II for the famous 80's sounds...?

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”