LL-TA transacoustic feed back & buzzing

The TransAcoustic guitar is an instrument that uses a built in transducer and on-board processing to produce the same incredible sound found in a great sounding room without a need for external amps or effects.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
george.cusack

LL-TA transacoustic feed back & buzzing

Unread post by george.cusack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 am

Hi I bought a new LL-TA recently and had to return it due to major feed back noise and buzzing the shop replaced it with another new one which did the same thing. Again I took it back (guitar guitar Glasgow) who to be fair are being very helpful offering me money back different guitar etc but I chose to let them send back to Yamaha as I really love the guitar and just want one that works. The also had their guitar tech look at the first one I took back and he said that it had a loose brace inside.
So my question is has anyone else had a similar problem and did you get it resolved?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LL-TA transacoustic feed back & buzzing

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi George and welcome to the forums :)

I have heard of others having this same issue with the same issue and all had to be returned to Yamaha for repair.

Quite surprising they said it was a loose brace...on both guitars?

I have the FS-TA here and no problems with that. TA electronics and same scalloped X Bracing. Did the tech mention if it was on the rear or the soundboard?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
george.cusack

Unread post by george.cusack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi Saul
Thanks for your reply it was only the first guitar that I returned that had the loose brace they did not say which brace. I had Guitar guitar call me to day with news that Yamaha London has looked at the guitar and are waiting on a part from Germany that they hope to have next week. This is for the replacement guitar that I was given but they did not say what part they are waiting on so hopefully I will get it back next week as I have only had it less than a month.

Ps I don't know what guitar guitar did with the first one I got I can only imagine the sent that back to Yamaha.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

I keep hearing vague stories of a "part" needing to be replaced and I did ask Yamaha about it but they are not saying what it is :whistle:

Always a bit concerning to hear of two guitars in a row having the same issues. I also think the loose brace was not the cause of the problem. Potentially it could create a sort of buzzing noise as it vibrates against the soundboard or back side of the guitar but I don't think that would cause feedback.

I am meeting with Yamaha next week and will be talking to the Guitar Division so perhaps I can find out what exactly the issue is then :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
george.cusack

Unread post by george.cusack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks again I think that the loose brace in the first guitar may have been caused by the feed back as it would cause quite a severe vibration through the whole guitar and the buzzing noise did not start till later on. The second one did not buzz as I returned it after only 3 days and did not play it after the first day. Just my thought. It would be great to know what the problem is and know that once it has been repaired it will be a permanent fix please let me know if you get any answers from Yamaha and I will post again when I get my guitar back.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Apparently the feedback issue on some of the LLA series is a pretty simple fix although if still under warranty I would let Yamaha do it.

The electronics in these guitars is tested quite robustly at the factory to make sure they do not feed back but of course testing for all circumstances is not possible so there may be times when feedback does raise it's ugly head. There is a switch on the back of the circuit board...I assume a phase switch, which you can flip and should take care of the problem.

As far as I can see though it is not that easy to get to and would require taking the whole board out. I have not done this myself by the way as I have not come across the problem.

Also I should point out that IF anyone tackles this it is at your own risk. Take it to Yamaha if you can.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

george.cusack

Unread post by george.cusack » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 am

Hi all pleased to say I got my guitar back sooner than I hoped for. The fault was the pre-amp board so they replaced it and so far it's been great. I must say it was a very frustrating experience and if the guitar didn't sound so dam good I would have taken my money back. So even after the problems I would still recommend them, also big thanks to guitar guitar Glasgow for all their help.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 am

Glad to hear it is all sorted now George :)

I use GuitarGuitar a lot myself, their Epsom store being closest to me and have always found them to be really good. Store review here.

If you get an opportunity to try the new CG-TA and CSF-TA and CG-TA I can highly recommend them. I am not normally into nylon strung or parlour guitars but these two certainly changed my mind on that one:)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha Transacoustic LL-TA, LS-TA, FS-TA, FG-TA Guitar Forum”