Yamaha Music London Wardour Street

Music Store Dealer reviews

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
DWG

Yamaha Music London Wardour Street

Unread post by DWG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:19 pm

YAMAHA MUSIC - Wardour St, Soho, London W1F

What ? A Yamaha Musicians web site and no review of the London store ! Anyway, perhaps I can put that right.

Just over a month ago I was in the market for a MODX but wanted to try the keyboard since the MODX8 is markedly different from the 6 and 7. I had difficulty in finding an 8 to try in Manchester and Liverpool, so, as I was heading south I thought I would pop into Yamaha’s Wardour Street shop.

It is certainly an impressive building, spread over three floors. The digital pianos and synths are on the ground floor, just as you enter. First floor is acoustic pianos and a selection of music books. The basement has drums guitars and accessories. There seemed to be a very extensive range of electric and acoustic guitars on display – but I am not particularly knowledgeable in this area. Also there are a few stage pianos/synths in the basement. I particularly liked the fact that the Yamaha HS5, 7 and 8 speakers could be demonstrated, quickly switching from one pair to another, so a real time comparison could be made.

Back upstairs with the MODX8, one was on display, and after an initial quick introduction, I was left to amuse myself with the instruction if I needed any help, just ask. I felt no pressure to hurry (other than someone might hear my rather indifferent playing). The salesman seemed reasonably clued up, but was stumped when I asked a few obscure questions (arpeggiators and the like) I did this, not to be difficult, but that is what happens after you have been on this forum for a while! You pick up quite a lot without even having an instrument in front of you.

Anyway, I left wanting to think it over, but the next day placed an order. I had been told that the MODX 8 was awaiting supplies but I could expect something mid – end August. It actually turned up earlier, just a week after visiting the store, along with pedals and a pair of HS5’s, all delivered by DHL.

Overall, I must say I had a very good buying experience. Price wise, they were selling at much the same as Andertons and PMT (although none had MODX8 stock at the time).

You can take a closer look around the store with a virtual tour on Yamaha Music London web page.

BRIGHTON UPDATE
GAK

I was in Brighton shortly before I visited Yamaha so I popped into GAK, North Laine. It’s a real rabbit warren of a shop – quite quaint in its own way, plenty on display (but sadly not a MODX 8). The staff seemed very knowledgeable and patient. I looked over the shoulder of one customer going through the paces of a Korg. The salesman was sat next to him when I entered the store, and still there half an hour later when I left.

Ackerman Music

Akerman Music shop is at 123-124 Queen’s Road Brighton (just north of the clock tower). It seems to dedicate most of its floor space to digital pianos. No synths, and just a couple of Yamaha’s. Might be worth a look around if you are in the area, although I got the impression it would probably not interest professional musicians too much.

Hope this might be of help to someone.

David
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha Music London Wardour Street

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi David, welcome to the forums and thanks for such a fantastic post ((i)) (Y)

I had intended to do a video on the Yamaha London store at some point but as usual so much to do and so little time in which to do it..so never happened. But, we have your review which I think nicely sums it up.

Good to hear you had such great service and, I assume you are very happy with the MODX8?

Also thanks for the update on GAK which is my local store. Never been into Ackermans so may drop in next time I am in Brighton.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm

THANKS for those reviews DWG . . . .

It's ALWAYS good to have a customer's view on what they have experienced.

Buying any instrument IS a major purchase for most people and it's good to know that the way is "smoothed" so you can make up your

mind in a leisurely way . . .

A mate of mine who is not a forum member also bought an MODX8 at the Yamaha store recently, along with a pair of HS8s and was similarly

happy with the experience . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
DWG

Unread post by DWG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Hi David, welcome to the forums and thanks for such a fantastic post ((i)) (Y)

I had intended to do a video on the Yamaha London store at some point but as usual so much to do and so little time in which to do it..so never happened. But, we have your review which I think nicely sums it up.

Good to hear you had such great service and, I assume you are very happy with the MODX8?

Also thanks for the update on GAK which is my local store. Never been into Ackermans so may drop in next time I am in Brighton.
Thanks Saul. I am delighted with the MODX. It is a fabulous instrument. I am still only scratching the surface of it's capabilities at the moment, but I am seriously impressed (and some times depressed !).

You must be a Brightonian. I am an exiled Brightonian but we always get back for a couple of weeks to catch up. I must say they music scene around town is great. Something on nearly every night in one pub or another.

David
DWG

Unread post by DWG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm

parametric wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm
THANKS for those reviews DWG . . . .

It's ALWAYS good to have a customer's view on what they have experienced.

Buying any instrument IS a major purchase for most people and it's good to know that the way is "smoothed" so you can make up your

mind in a leisurely way . . .

A mate of mine who is not a forum member also bought an MODX8 at the Yamaha store recently, along with a pair of HS8s and was similarly

happy with the experience . . . .

parametric
Thanks Parametric. You are right - an instrument is a major purchase. When I decided I wanted to replace my Roland digital piano I was initially overwhelmed with the choice available. If anyone was asking my advice now, I would say spend a good few days trawling through this forum. I found a lot more impartial advice here than on the manufacturers' marketing blurb.

So thank you, and all the other experts too.

David

Return to “Dealer & Seller Reviews”