Any fretless players?

Electric Bass Guitar Forum covering all makes and models of Bass guitar, amplifiers and effects

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Any fretless players?

Unread post by Saul »

I have never played a fretless bass but I am pretty sure I could soon get the hang of it. I don't need to look at the fretboard when playing the guitar so I don't think it would take long to adjust to not having frets. Would definitely like to give it a try (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
puremusic
Location.: USA

Unread post by puremusic »

I really love the flexible sound of fretless instruments!

It can be well worth trying to pick up the skill!

:violin:

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I agree entirely . . . .

If I use Bass in my compositions, it is invariably fretless. I love that rubber-band feel it has . . . .

The fretless can do those swoops and seamless glissandos that you just can't do with frets . . . .

I guess you really need to be "at home" around the neck to get accurate enough for "bread and butter" fretless playing?

Stanley Clarke is a fine exponent - also of course on upright Bass (Bull Fiddle) . . . as was Jack Bruce . . . .

It CAN obviously be learned - as Orchestral Strings are proof of this . . . (not a fret in sight) :lol:

An interesting halfway-house is the Viol . . . . These are "part-fretted" and have a very distinct sound as a result . . .

Also, they have 6 strings . . .

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris