THR 10C and 10X

Covers entire Yamaha THR range of guitar amps, heads and cabs.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Canada
MCello

THR 10C and 10X

Unread post by MCello » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Hello fellow THR users,

I have been using a THR 10C for a number of years, mostly with acoustic guitars, to play folk and blues. I loved the amp models, mostly the ones with lower gain. Then one day one side of the amp stopped working (both speaker and headphone outputs). I don't know much about electronics, but I opened the thing to check for visible signs of damage. Nothing caught my attention, so I put the amp on a shelf.

Some months later, I bought a THR 10X from another guitarist, thinking there would not be much difference in the sound, but I cannot reproduce the rich and mellow tones I liked on the THR 10C.

So now I have two THR amps that sit unused.

My questions are :
- Where do the amp models reside in the amp? Are they on some circuit board I could transplant from 10C to 10X?
- Alternatively, where could I have the THR 10C fixed in Canada?

Cheers,

MarcelG
User avatar Germany
MartinZ

Re: THR 10C and 10X

Unread post by MartinZ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:50 am

I once opened my THR10 to repair the power switch. I noticed that almost everything is on one circuit board.
Things are highly integrated in this device. I do not think, that the sound modeling is a separate device but it's the combination of a software controlling hardware.
You will not by able to make one good amp from one broken and one with the "wrong" sounds - at least if you are no experienced electronics man.
Perhaps a firmware change could mend a THR10X to a THR10C -but as far as i know Yamaha has not made this possible.
A keen programmer could perhaps modify the firmware-file to cheat the device and let it accept the "wrong" firmware. Sometimes it's just some bytes in the file header making the difference.

If there is no sound at all neither from the speakers nor from the headphone jack, there must be a bigger issue with this amp.
If the front light is OK, then the power management could be OK. In this case I would guess, that the integrated amp-chip(s) are broken, though there should be two of them for the stereo, that are not very likely both damaged. This again could point to a diode or fuse has gone, resulting in a missing power voltage.
Of course you could solder the damged parts out an replace them with the corresponding parts from the working device - But this would be no real difference from only repairing the borken device - the damaged parts will be not be very expensive, as long as you can buy them at all.

But without measuring voltages you will not be able to sort out, which parts are damaged.
User avatar Canada
MCello

Re: THR 10C and 10X

Unread post by MCello » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Thank you Martin, this all makes good sense!

Marcel

Return to “Yamaha THR Forum”